PDA

View Full Version : Possible First Build

Rhyno37
03-27-12, 22:09
To start off, feel free to school me guys. I know absolutely nothing about building AR's. I had a few questions, so decided to come here. Feel free to post any threads or guides that might be useful.

Purpose of the rifle: Plinking, Target Shooting, Maybe some HD and the random varmint

First question I had was is it that much cheaper to build than buy? I know the advantage of building is getting exactly what you want, but is it cheaper. Second, as a first time builder, what parts would I want for my set up. Things such as barrel lengths, rails, etc... Also, is it best to buy every individual part, or buy a lower assembly and upper assembly and just put them together? What are the best companies for parts? I know very little about the AR in general, and trying to get a feel if I should build or not. Feel free to post your own build threads or pictures, it gives me some inspiration at least. :happy:

ggp2jz
03-27-12, 22:17
This section is for completed builds.

killjoythedestroyer
03-27-12, 22:29
You should definitely do months and months of research before attempting to put together your own AR. Read books on the subject, not forum threads.As for what to buy, only YOU can decide. I'm sure you are genuinely looking for advice on what to do or what to build. There is no right or wrong answer. If you just want to plink you are best off buying a .22lr. If you really want to build a rifle get an upper that is complete with bolt carrier group and all. Then just buy a stripped lower and assemble. You will need tools and alot of knowledge. Thats where studying and reading BOOKS comes in. Hope this helps. You need to know how deep the water is before you just dive in. Not to be condescending. Good luck, Enjoy the process of the build, it's the best part.

Rhyno37
03-27-12, 22:30
I apologize, I thought it was for anything relating to building. If a mod could move this to the correct sub forum it'd be greatly appreciated.

BrigandTwoFour
03-27-12, 23:49
I've never gotten the impression that this section was only for completed builds. Sue me.

Rhyno, I suggest you start working your way through all the knoweldge threads between here, technical, and AR general. Once you have that base of what makes a quality AR, you are ready to start worrying about what to build into YOUR AR (if you still choose to go that route).

If this is your first, and you know very little about them, then I do not think you should be looking into a parts build. I generally tell people who ask me (I'm known as the AR guy among my friends and coworkers) to either buy a complete Colt, BCM, DD, or LMT and shoot the piss out of it until they really decide what they want to use it for.

Barring that, I would look into buying an upper assembly and lower separately and slapping them together (bug again, read all the tech threads first so you actually know what the various specs mean). Buying individual parts and assembling them yourself is not for someone new to ARs, as you don't know what to look for, and you will have a sizable expense in buying the tools required to do it.

A 16" barrel seems to be the all-around general use length for most people here. Midlength gas system if available, though nowhere near necessary. The uses you listed would not require a free floated barrel, unless your "target shooting" included very long distance. Even then, installing a free float tube on a non-free floated gun is not terribly difficult. Again, let your needs (after you know them) dictate what you do to the gun.

Don't worry about rails or any of the slick shit accessories you see. Get a basic gun, shoot it. Go from there.

Iraqgunz
03-28-12, 00:55
This section is for completed custom builds (not I slapped an upper and lower together) in addition it is for people to discuss their builds, ask advice before building (in some cases).

I've never gotten the impression that this section was only for completed builds. Sue me.

Rhyno, I suggest you start working your way through all the knoweldge threads between here, technical, and AR general. Once you have that base of what makes a quality AR, you are ready to start worrying about what to build into YOUR AR (if you still choose to go that route).

If this is your first, and you know very little about them, then I do not think you should be looking into a parts build. I generally tell people who ask me (I'm known as the AR guy among my friends and coworkers) to either buy a complete Colt, BCM, DD, or LMT and shoot the piss out of it until they really decide what they want to use it for.

Barring that, I would look into buying an upper assembly and lower separately and slapping them together (bug again, read all the tech threads first so you actually know what the various specs mean). Buying individual parts and assembling them yourself is not for someone new to ARs, as you don't know what to look for, and you will have a sizable expense in buying the tools required to do it.

A 16" barrel seems to be the all-around general use length for most people here. Midlength gas system if available, though nowhere near necessary. The uses you listed would not require a free floated barrel, unless your "target shooting" included very long distance. Even then, installing a free float tube on a non-free floated gun is not terribly difficult. Again, let your needs (after you know them) dictate what you do to the gun.

Don't worry about rails or any of the slick shit accessories you see. Get a basic gun, shoot it. Go from there.

Iraqgunz
03-28-12, 00:57
Everything you have mentioned has been asked and discussed numerous times. One need only take the time to read and use the orange search button.

To start off, feel free to school me guys. I know absolutely nothing about building AR's. I had a few questions, so decided to come here. Feel free to post any threads or guides that might be useful.

Purpose of the rifle: Plinking, Target Shooting, Maybe some HD and the random varmint

First question I had was is it that much cheaper to build than buy? I know the advantage of building is getting exactly what you want, but is it cheaper. Second, as a first time builder, what parts would I want for my set up. Things such as barrel lengths, rails, etc... Also, is it best to buy every individual part, or buy a lower assembly and upper assembly and just put them together? What are the best companies for parts? I know very little about the AR in general, and trying to get a feel if I should build or not. Feel free to post your own build threads or pictures, it gives me some inspiration at least. :happy:

chadbag
03-28-12, 01:12
Do you have someone local to you who has the proper tools and can help guide your through the process?

It is not hard to do, but it is much much easier to have someone hold your hand the first time or so. And who has the right tools you can borrow.

I have bought exactly one completed AR type rifle in my life, and exactly one that was an upper and a lower slapped together (no it was not my second, but it was right before the ban took effect in 94 and I wanted a complete rifle). Everything else I have been involved with has been built from parts.

I built my first one by watching a Bushmaster VHS tape and hitting pause every step to figure out what they were doing... We've come a long way.

Best way, as I said, is to get someone local to you who has the tools and can guide you down the road and help you with the actual work.

--