PDA

View Full Version : Forms ready to send, not engraved yet!

grantoga
03-27-12, 23:17
So I have everything ready to send off my form 1 for an SBR. It came together sooner than I thought and I havnt engraved my lower yet. I was hoping to get it engraved before I sent off the paperwork. Once the fingerprints are done and the CLEO signs off, how long do I have before it has to be sent in? Anyone know of a good engraver in the southern Oregon area?

Hmac
03-27-12, 23:21
You can send it off any time. Name, city, state, as you put in box 4H.

A local engraver is convenient, you wouldn't have the hassle of going to a UPS hub or the expense of UPS 2nd Air/FedEx Priority Overnight, or having your local FFL send it USPS.

I usually use Ident Marking in Texas for engraving and have my LGS ship it for me via USPS...far cheaper.

Bret
03-28-12, 11:09
I generally wait to have my receiver engraved until after I receive the stamp. I've never seen anything from the ATF indicating when the firearm has to be engraved.

SMOKEEATERFF
03-28-12, 12:38
Make sure you spell out your name and not abbreviate it. My form was approved but the examiner said my name should be spelled out entirely. Receiver had already been engraved. I talked with guys on Arfcom who said not to put anything in 4h. I don't know about that.

Hmac
03-28-12, 14:14
Make sure you spell out your name and not abbreviate it. My form was approved but the examiner said my name should be spelled out entirely. Receiver had already been engraved. I talked with guys on Arfcom who said not to put anything in 4h. I don't know about that.

Not putting anything in Box 4H doesn't relieve one of the responsibility of having name/city/state engraved on the rifle.

As to what to engrave, I've heard it reported second-hand here on M4Cthat engraving full name is the new policy. I suppose the Chief of NFA Branch can interpret laws and redirect regulatory enforcement as he sees fit, but that's hard to jive with the actual law which says that the firearm must be marked with:

iii. Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the same of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

27 CFR 479.102 (a)(1)iii (from ATF website http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html)

For my part, I have a receiver I'm getting ready to register for NFA. I plan on doing it the way I've always done it, according to the law as written. I may put my full name in Box 4H, though.

tsconver
03-28-12, 14:17
I sent my form in with h blank and received a correction letter stating what to put in the box exactly by the examiner. It was my full trust name abreviating the middle name to its initial.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SMOKEEATERFF
03-28-12, 14:29
I believe is you ask a 100 people you will receive a 100 different answers. A friend of mine abbreviated his first name and it wasn't a problem. Who knows. To be on the safe side I would fill out 4 h but that is my opinion.

getchevyn
03-29-12, 18:25
You can send the lower to indent via. USPS. The post office allows the shipment of a rifle but not a handgun to another state as long as the shipment goes to a FFL. Indent is a FFL. USPS suggest you should ship this with registered mail.

J_Dub_503
03-29-12, 18:40
Anyone know of a good engraver in the southern Oregon area?

I did a quick search on northwestfirearms.com and seen a recommendation for TurboThis in Talent, Or.

grantoga
03-29-12, 20:32
I asked Turbothis already. He said he only really works on AKs. Im going to call some local trophy shops and such.

Bret
03-29-12, 20:56
I asked Turbothis already. He said he only really works on AKs. Im going to call some local trophy shops and such.
Be careful. I'd definitely have them test engrave on some scraps that are the same hardness. I tried to get a local trophy shop to engrave an AK receiver. Fortunately, I had them try first on a demilled receiver stub. It looked awful. They said the metal was too hard for their machine.