PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find an original?

Tact.medic
03-28-12, 05:08
Does anyone have info on how to get original M16s or AR15? Ideally it should be Vietnam era weapons. Thanks

Mike

J_Dub_503
03-28-12, 06:04
An M16 can be acquired by your local class 3 dealer, it is going to run you ~ $16,500 last I checked.

An early model AR might be able to be found on gunbroker.

Tact.medic
03-28-12, 06:28
That's interesting. When I was last in Iraq we giving them old M4s, I don't know if anyone got and actual M16.

I'm looking for a low serial number AR or M16, that's all

Mike

OlGunner
04-09-12, 20:49
Try watching Sturmgewehr.com, to get started.
There are also a handful of Class 3 dealers (google Ruben Mendiola for a good one) who frequently move "retro" ARs, M16's and M16A1s, but the earlier you want, the harder it will be to find one in original condition.

It took me bout a year and a half to find a 3-digit Model 01 but during that time I looked at a number of 01s with various replacement parts. If you enjoy hunting for old parts, you could restore one of those to factory standards.

First thing, I'd suggest, is taking time to figure out exactly what you want. What do you mean by "low serial number"? Are you set on an 01, or would later models satisfy you? Do you know how to identify original parts for the model you're interested in?

Considering that this will be a fairly costly investment, a little research may really pay off.

The Texan Ninja
04-09-12, 22:32
Parts pop up on the EE and GB from time to time. Gun shows CAN be a great place, but you often have to search through a bunch of stuff to find it.

Like Olgunner said, figure out what model you want first before buying.

Iraqgunz
04-10-12, 13:52
Just curious. What does this have to do with your post or the response?

That's interesting. When I was last in Iraq we giving them old M4s, I don't know if anyone got and actual M16.

I'm looking for a low serial number AR or M16, that's all

Mike

Tact.medic
04-10-12, 23:57
Just something I reflected and posted on here...

shootist1970
05-06-12, 16:58
Just keep looking around the Colt AR15 SP-1 with the diopter rear sight and triangle handguards hasn't been produced for thirty years and the folks who have them hold them unless hard up for money but they are out there...lucked into one myself a few years ago at a local fun shop.

Mine is extremely accurate..........right up until the pencil thin barrel warms up!!!!

Allen
05-06-12, 19:50
http://jamesdjulia.com
has had a number of vintage AR's in the last few auctions I've bothered to look at. IIRC they had the Coconut rifle a few months ago. They have two early A1 style colts coming up next weekend:
http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_320.asp?pageREQ=1

Allen

Ramone
05-07-12, 08:05
Do you mean 'original style' or an actual vintage rifle?

There's a fair bit of variance in the early rifles- Viet Nam era could include the A1, which should be too hard to find (or 'clone').