PDA

View Full Version : What's the boards thought on anonymous?

Ghost__1
03-28-12, 18:43
Mods please delete if this is inappropriate our if it gets out of hand.

Anonymous has been around for a couple years now and alot of their views are aligned with occupy however some align directly with the constitution. Now are they just aligning what they see fit or are they supporting all of it? How about the message to military personnel? What are the thoughts on that to you active duty guys/former military? Here's the link to that particular video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB-hTUL3cWI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

SMETNA
03-28-12, 22:15
*So far* I think they're awesome.

SeriousStudent
03-28-12, 22:25
*So far* I think they're awesome.

I am curious. Why do you think they are awesome?

It's a real question, I'm not picking a fight.

What is awesome about them?

Ghost__1
03-28-12, 22:29
Personally I share some of the same views however that alone doesn't really give me enough to like them. I'm torn I guess. I want to like them as a stick it to the man but don't because some of their outlandish claims and actions.

SeriousStudent
03-28-12, 22:52
I had a friend that was a bank robber, although I did not know it at the time. We both enjoyed the same brand of single malt Scotch.

We disagreed on the larceny thing, though.

Are you are familiar with their computer activities? What people normally refer to as hacking? There are a rather substantial number of law enforcement agencies that would like to chat with them for a while.

I am curious what people like about them, and what they know about them.

cop1211
03-28-12, 23:02
Bunch of dirtbags in my book.

tb-av
03-28-12, 23:07
It's a bit concerning that they seem to be able to hack into anything they want pretty much at any time they want.

QuietShootr
03-29-12, 00:10
Some of their politics are ****ed, but generally they wind up on the right side, IMO. And also IMO, they serve as a 2nd Amendment-type check and balance on the Internet - if an org gets too far out of control, Anonymous takes them down a peg or two. Some specifics aside, anyone who rips up Scientology is probably on the side of the angels, again IMO.

SMETNA
03-29-12, 00:47
I think they're awesome because I'm for shoving a stick into the establishments' spokes without violence.

And the DoS attacks during the SOPA and PIPA bullshit was well warranted.

The reason I say "so far" is just in case they go off the deep end and hack into some SCADA system somewhere and shut power off. That would be totally criminal and uncool.

So far though, they've just been pissing off authoritarian dickheads.

Mo_Zam_Beek
03-29-12, 01:39
I do not know enough about them to have an informed opinion. That said what I *think* I know of them is that they are an amorphous group that claims to use computer generated crime as a means of protest in an effort to correct perceived wrongs.

OK, but crime is still crime, and the 'work' they put in... what is that phase? 'Sticks and stones, but words...' big picture - I see a lot of words and very few sticks. I am scratching my head wondering how exactly a bunch of computer nerds really think they are going curb major abuses by large well organized major entities, some of whom have a monopoly on the use of force. I think they want to chip away at the edges and foment the matter until someone else steps in and gets their own hands dirty. Like most propagandists, I see 'problems' identified, and a lot of time spent telling anyone that will listen how bad the problem is, some veiled threats, a weak rally cry, and what is missing? Oh yeah.... an actual ****ing counter proposal.

As for the vid - yeah sure, featuring abuse at the hands of the man (but conveniently leaving out the backstory that led up to the violence) and featuring a combat vet who stood for the right to free assembly and the right to free speech - OK, great.

However, what is with all of the other propaganda vids related to the NWO, the illuminate, and what not? They are slick, vague, high on Matrix inspired imagery, and light on facts.

Good luck

Alric
03-29-12, 09:58
As I recall, a partial list of their transgressions:

They attacked VISA and Mastercard for cutting off the donation methods to WikiLeaks.

They attacked Amazon for not hosting WikiLeaks sites.

They support the alleged traitor Bradley Manning, and generally attack those who don't.

They hacked and released private information of law enforcement officers involved in something they didn't agree with. I don't recall all the details.

Overall it is my opinion that they pick on those safe to pick on. The US or our allies aren't going to find and assassinate them for any action they take. They use the anonymous nature of the internet to hide themselves and launch their illegal activities. You don't see them standing up in any meaningful way to China or Russia, despite egregious actions by both countries.

They're internet bullies. At times I wouldn't mind if they were rounded up and shot, though that punishment may be a bit harsh for the crime.

Alex V
03-29-12, 11:04
Overall it is my opinion that they pick on those safe to pick on. The US or our allies aren't going to find and assassinate them for any action they take. They use the anonymous nature of the internet to hide themselves and launch their illegal activities. You don't see them standing up in any meaningful way to China or Russia, despite egregious actions by both countries.

They're internet bullies. At times I wouldn't mind if they were rounded up and shot, though that punishment may be a bit harsh for the crime.

I agree...

I would love to see them hack anything in Israel... Mossad would have a field day... We are just too PC so they know we won't do anything. :(

Mo_Zam_Beek
03-29-12, 11:05
IIRC - they called out the Mexican drug cartels.......and then backed down.

Good luck

Ghost__1
03-29-12, 12:43
As I recall, a partial list of their transgressions:

They attacked VISA and Mastercard for cutting off the donation methods to WikiLeaks.

They attacked Amazon for not hosting WikiLeaks sites.

They support the alleged traitor Bradley Manning, and generally attack those who don't.

They hacked and released private information of law enforcement officers involved in something they didn't agree with. I don't recall all the details.

This is my general consensus. I support the fact that they have good intentions about the constitution however hate this Bradley Manning and the police thing. I could care less about other countries as OUR constitution is the big picture for me. I do understand what they are trying to accomplish with the first amendment but don't think they understand what Manning did. Even Wikileaks is for the most part a decent idea until it comes to that case and a few others. I do mostly support gov transparency. I'd like to know what's going on behind the curtains in alot of situations. As knowledge is power. I'm still not saying everything needs to be out in the open just the facts relevant to the American people. You know what they say about cake and eating it too.

The Cartel thing was probably mostly because they realized that their drugs would be more expensive if they did anything haha.

Army Chief
03-29-12, 12:47
Not looking to squelch anyone's thoughts here, but most have had a chance to weigh in by now, and I'm not sure that there is anything to be gained by leaving this open for an indefinite period of time. Whatever the stated goals of this, or any other group that advances an agenda by means of attacks, intrusions, hacks or similar activities, I think I can safely say that we've had more than our share of that sort of thing here over the past 6-8 months, and it isn't really a topic that we would like to see advanced much beyond this point. Again, whether such conduct ultimately has a defensible moral basis or not, having been on the receiving end of some of it has left us with no particular enthusiasm for exploring it any further.

Thanks,
AC