PDA

View Full Version : Act of Valor Question

Evil Bert
03-28-12, 22:18
I finally got a chance to see AoV and it was pretty darn good. I think they got it as accurate as a movie can get.

But I saw something on the team's M4's that I was not familiar with. So I noticed they had what appears to be chromed or some kind of coating on the CH. Does anyone know what I am referring to. I am interested in finding out more about what the deal was with their CH's.

kwelz
03-28-12, 22:39
That is a very special coating known as ahellofalotofuse..

buckjay
03-28-12, 22:45
It could also be magical fairy dust.

GTifosi
03-28-12, 23:03
Permaslik-G is occasionally used for such.
It's meant for refinishing mag bodies, but as an epoxy/molybendum mix it does a good job on CHs too.

Kind of a medium primer gray that brightens a bit when polished through use.

Evil Bert
03-29-12, 06:46
I thought it was kinda odd and some kind of coating because they were using what looked like standard CH's. Now I would love to see something offered from VLTOR/Bravo with that kind of a coating on the GunFighter CH. Not that I would need one necessarily as I would probably never use my rifle enough to require it, but it would be good to see that kind of thing offered on the GFCH. But I guess one could buy a 12oz can for $19 and DIY.

GTifosi
03-29-12, 07:24
If you're talking permaslik-G, yes $20 ish, and more importantly, has a shelf life so any unused portion would end up as literally throwing money away.

IOW, not really worth it just for a single charging handle, but mabe a couple handles and 18-25 mags or 100 followers a bunch of buffer/action springs and mag springs.

Looks good on old barrels with whipped finishes too.
Kind of like a light gray when on steel and will polish to a dull shine.
Sort of a satin nickle, but not so bright.

BTW, contrary to popular belief it does not need to be oven cured.
It can be done, but a better finish is achived with two air dried coats.
One 15 minutes after the other, then left to air cure overnight at 70+ degrees.
This allows the epoxy to cure to a deeper more even level that oven curing will do.