PDA

View Full Version : SBR'd SCAR (I'm new to this so bear with me)

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 01:45
Hey Guys, I have been looking around online about the rules of SBRing a rifle but could not find an answer to my question, I have always had my questions answered here so here is what I got:

I was thinking about SBRing my SCAR 16, I really did not want to chop the barrel down so I was just going to wait till FNH released factory barrels to the civi market and do it then. I found someone on the FN forum with factory SCAR 16 barrels so I want to buy one, but not before asking this first:

After I purchase the factory barrel, I will have to get it chopped down the the length I want( I was thinking 10.5). Now after I chop the barrel, and get the lower engraved, am I only allowed to use the 10.5 inch barrel or can I use the factory 16 inch barrel as well and actually use the rifle for its purpose with quick barrel change capability.

Like I said guys, I am brand new to the NFA game and if this has been answered already sorry.

Thanks for your help in advance
JR

J_Dub_503
03-29-12, 02:21
You must have the scar engraved before you have the barrel cut...otherwise you'll be breaking the federal law of receiving with intent to build an NFA weapon (or something like that.) After you have it engraved and registered you can use either barrel.

May I ask what the purpose of SBR'ing the SCAR is?

jwfuhrman
03-29-12, 06:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

This applies to not just AR15's lowers but ANY rifle with a barrel less than 16in. Thats step by step instructions on how NFA works.

Iraqgunz
03-29-12, 06:33
That's not really true. The engraving can be done at anytime. What you cannot do is build the weapon prior to having the Form 1 approved.

The general rule of thumb is that you don't broadcast to the world what your intentions are, you don't taunt the BATFE and you don't sell drugs from your home.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. On the SCAR the upper is actually the serial numbered item and not the lower, correct?

You must have the scar engraved before you have the barrel cut...otherwise you'll be breaking the federal law of receiving with intent to build an NFA weapon (or something like that.) After you have it engraved and registered you can use either barrel.

May I ask what the purpose of SBR'ing the SCAR is?

Voodoo_Man
03-29-12, 06:37
correct the serial is on the upper, the lower is plastic.

QuietShootr
03-29-12, 09:04
Whoa... FACTORY 17 CQC barrels are going to be sold??

Todd.K
03-29-12, 09:17
You can still use the 16" barrel after it is registered as an SBR.

It's not recommended to own parts that can make an SBR unless there is a legal configuration they can be used with.

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 11:58
Thanks for the replies guys, just for clarification, I dont intend to have a SBR'd barrel prior to having all the paperwork done. What I was going to do is buy the barrel, fill out the paperwork, and have it chopped and have the NFA dealer hold on to the barrel till the stamp comes back(i hear its a 6 month wait). IG, do you know or have any suggestions on who is good for this here in AZ?

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 12:02
May I ask what the purpose of SBR'ing the SCAR is?[/QUOTE]

I guess its the same reason as SBR'ing a M4/AR15, for me its the greater mobility, and decreased weight. Also I think it will make the rifle look alot better because there is not 12 feet of barrel sticking out the end of rifle(that is more of a personal preferance).

Iraqgunz
03-29-12, 12:12
The point I was making above is that since the upper has the serial number, you could do what you want as long as the lower is not around or unless you have another upper available.

Todd,

Does this sound right or am I confused?

Thanks for the replies guys, just for clarification, I dont intend to have a SBR'd barrel prior to having all the paperwork done. What I was going to do is buy the barrel, fill out the paperwork, and have it chopped and have the NFA dealer hold on to the barrel till the stamp comes back(i hear its a 6 month wait). IG, do you know or have any suggestions on who is good for this here in AZ?

C-grunt
03-29-12, 12:14
I know a class III dealer who works for my dept and lives out by you. He has a 16 CQC and Ill ask him if he can get any barrels or knows a good guy for the cutting. By the way they have insane muzzle flash.

http://youtu.be/7h72RrTYvAI

Moltke
03-29-12, 12:31
Just like you run the risk of reduced functionality when chopping down a AR barrel, what else do you plan to do to the rifle after reducing the dwell time by so much? Anyone on here know the other changes the OP should make on a SBR SCAR? Are any other changes needed?

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 12:37
I know a class III dealer who works for my dept and lives out by you. He has a 16 CQC and Ill ask him if he can get any barrels or knows a good guy for the cutting. By the way they have insane muzzle flash.

http://youtu.be/7h72RrTYvAI

Thanks brother, let me know what he says. You were not lying about the muzzle flash in the video.

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 12:41
Just like you run the risk of reduced functionality when chopping down a AR barrel, what else do you plan to do to the rifle after reducing the dwell time by so much? Anyone on here know the other changes the OP should make on a SBR SCAR? Are any other changes needed?

I dont think there is anything that needs to be done. The rifle was built and intended to be able to do quick barrel changes regardless of length. Also, its piston driven so the gas is regulated so dwell time does not change. I have no facts on this, this is just me trying to make sense of this in my head. If anyone knows of changes that need to be made, PLEASE let me know

Clint
03-29-12, 13:28
I dont think there is anything that needs to be done. The rifle was built and intended to be able to do quick barrel changes regardless of length. Also, its piston driven so the gas is regulated so dwell time does not change. I have no facts on this, this is just me trying to make sense of this in my head. If anyone knows of changes that need to be made, PLEASE let me know

Dwell time does decrease when the barrel chopped. It's simple physics.

"piston" has nothing to do with it and the system is not really self regulated either.

A larger gas control screw will need to be used to deliver the required total impulse in the shorter time.

The gas control screw is accessed with a flat bladed screwdriver through the top of the gas block after the gas plug is removed.

Tuning is a matter of selecting the proper screw to hit the target cyclic rate.

liquidsniper
03-29-12, 13:31
After chopping the barrel you will need to change the gas control screws. If you do a search over on the fnforum you will come up with all the info you need.

ETA: Whatever you do, DO NOT let your gunsmith drill out the gas port hole.

JR TACTICAL
03-29-12, 14:09
Does FN offer the different gas control screws or am I going to have to have those custom made?

nevermind i found the answer

CarlosDJackal
03-29-12, 14:48
You know, if FNH-USA would just make the 10.5" barrel available to US commercial market this whole exercise would not be necessary. This is why I decided against buying anything FN.

Last year I almost pulled the trigger on buying a SCAR-16 and an FS2000. But when I found out the availability of their parts may be an issue, I decided against it.

Todd.K
03-29-12, 17:02
The point I was making above is that since the upper has the serial number, you could do what you want as long as the lower is not around or unless you have another upper available.

If there are just parts and not enough to make a complete rifle then the barrel length won't matter.

The safe thing to do is not have the rifle and short barrel together until the stamp comes back. With an AR it's a bit easier because you can keep a stripped or pistol lower, then you have constructive intent to make a legal configuration.

99HMC4
03-29-12, 22:20
Wow, what a bunch of misinformation. Rob beat me to it. Any how how bout some SCAR candy? Dipped some more of my parts..... ;)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Hypercomp01/c66110a2.jpg

JR TACTICAL
03-30-12, 03:26
Wow, what a bunch of misinformation. Rob beat me to it. Any how how bout some SCAR candy? Dipped some more of my parts..... ;)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Hypercomp01/c66110a2.jpg

Thats an awesome pic, exactly what I want! Did you have your barrel chopped down? If so what length is that and what gas screw diameter did you go with?

JR TACTICAL
03-30-12, 03:35
You know, if FNH-USA would just make the 10.5" barrel available to US commercial market this whole exercise would not be necessary. This is why I decided against buying anything FN.

Last year I almost pulled the trigger on buying a SCAR-16 and an FS2000. But when I found out the availability of their parts may be an issue, I decided against it.

I agree, I wish there were more parts on the market:mad: And the one that I have found are rediculously priced($55 for and extractor kit and upwards of $230 for a complete bolt:confused:)

I just could not help myself when the wife ok'd the purchase of the SCAR and I have been nothing but happy with the rifles performance, I have not had a problem with the gun yet, but FN needs to get on the ball with more commercial available parts.

Just an FYI, I called FN today and talked to the parts department. The girl I spoke to said the 10.5 inch barrels will be available to the public some time in May(she did not sound too sure) but did not have a price on them.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen and hopefully come may I will be able to post up some pics of my own SBR'd SCAR

JR TACTICAL
03-30-12, 03:44
sorry double posted the same damn thing

99HMC4
03-31-12, 16:44
Thats an awesome pic, exactly what I want! Did you have your barrel chopped down? If so what length is that and what gas screw diameter did you go with?

I had Marvin cut mine down to 10", don't know what size gas screw. I will say it cycles perfectly (mostly suppressed) and in the configuration that's in the picture (AAC blackout FH) shoots SOFTER thatn the factory 16" barrel/PWS brake combo....