PDA

View Full Version : AR pricing in 2012

evilblackrifle
03-29-12, 08:49
Wanted to get thoughts on where you expect AR pricing to go from here. Seems like lots of shops are out of stock on popular models, and what's in stock tends to be more toward the top of the price range. Seems tax return season along with election year fears are playing a role here.

For someone wanting to buy an AR, but not needing one right away, would you recommend buying now? While I know Obama thinks no one should own guns, I don't think the political will exists in Congress for another AWB, so I'm not worried about that. Not under Romney either, even though he obviously thinks no one should own evil black rifles. Maybe other anti-gun legislation, EPA regulations, etc., but not another AWB.

So I'm thinking that the current buying frenzy, which seems to have started late last year, is pulling forward demand and that we may see a drop in demand after the election or in 2013. Thoughts?

polymorpheous
03-29-12, 09:08
This is a technical sub-forum.
Not the place for this thread.

evilblackrifle
03-29-12, 09:38
My bad. Mods, can you please move this thread.

C4IGrant
03-29-12, 09:44
Wanted to get thoughts on where you expect AR pricing to go from here. Seems like lots of shops are out of stock on popular models, and what's in stock tends to be more toward the top of the price range. Seems tax return season along with election year fears are playing a role here.

For someone wanting to buy an AR, but not needing one right away, would you recommend buying now? While I know Obama thinks no one should own guns, I don't think the political will exists in Congress for another AWB, so I'm not worried about that. Not under Romney either, even though he obviously thinks no one should own evil black rifles. Maybe other anti-gun legislation, EPA regulations, etc., but not another AWB.

So I'm thinking that the current buying frenzy, which seems to have started late last year, is pulling forward demand and that we may see a drop in demand after the election or in 2013. Thoughts?

History being our teacher, we are seeing shortages on gun parts and guns MUCH MUCH earlier than we did in 2008. Things in the first quarter of this year are almost where they were in the last quarter of 2008 (in regards to the two things listed above).

From 2008-2009, we had the biggest sales years in our history and then 2010 came and it crashed pretty hard. This time it is anyone’s guess as to what will happen the year after this one. If a Republican gets elected, the economy could do better and people will have more money (so sales would stay strong). Or Obama stays in office and people are even more worried what he would do as a Lame Duck.

C4

J-Dub
03-29-12, 10:14
People will gouge, and dumb people will pay the price.

I strongly urge people to refuse to contribute in the NONSENSE.

C4IGrant
03-29-12, 12:05
People will gouge, and dumb people will pay the price.

I strongly urge people to refuse to contribute in the NONSENSE.

At this point, I have not seen ANY "price gouging." Just shortages on parts and guns.

C4

Moltke
03-29-12, 12:16
I think things are about to get out of control with gun sales, ammo sales, and I don't think that manufacturers are going to be able to keep up.

J-Dub
03-29-12, 13:53
At this point, I have not seen ANY "price gouging." Just shortages on parts and guns.

C4

"at this point"

Alex V
03-29-12, 13:55

C4

BCM BCG went up $10 on their site recently lol

Not gouging at all... just saying lol.

Also, online ammo prices have gone up about 5% in the last month... at least the places I look at for ammo.

U still have the old price on BCM BCG on your site Grant, but they are not in stock :(

Moltke
03-29-12, 14:41

Also, online ammo prices have gone up about 5% in the last month... at least the places I look at for ammo.

U still have the old price on BCM BCG on your site Grant, but they are not in stock :(

I usually buy ammo through Wideners or AIMsurplus and both are sold out on what I want. I also noticed the BCM BCG up $10 on their website. I also have been subscribed to "email me when this product is in stock" notifications for a while now and haven't heard anything on most of them. When I DID get an email for an ammo being in stock, it was sold out by the time I checked the website an hour later... I am referencing Aguila 55gr ammo on AIMsurplus BTW.

Beat Trash
03-29-12, 15:38
Pricing will go up with demand and lack of availability.

Currently availability of new AR's has become an issue. Just a couple of months ago, you could find just about anything you wanted in stock. Now, not so much. With many companies quoting delivery time in months.

I've been telling people since last summer if they are considering purchasing an AR, go ahead an do it.

A couple of months ago, Grant had a thread going about this very topic. Many acted as if he was ovr reacting.

My brother is not a shooter and doesn't need to carry a gun for a living. He suddenly decided he wanted a self defense carbine. (watched too many NatGeo doomsday prepped shows) called Round for him. Colts are pretty much out of sock everywhere. S&W quoted my LE dealer 4-6 months if they placed an order toady.

Drove 2 hours to a LE dealer that had an M&P15 in stock. Yes it's over gassed, but it'll work for what he'll use it for.

C4IGrant
03-29-12, 19:54

When BCM first introduced their BCG's, they were $149 and then they lowered the price. So for me, they are just returning to their original price.

We have BCM BCG's in stock, but are hoarding them for MarkM. :sarcastic:

C4

warpigM-4
03-29-12, 20:46
At the first of the year I got emails from dealers that have My C&R FFL on file,
they stated "ammo prices would be increasing due to Materials and metal prices were on a Global increase ".

I am glad I was able to build My supply up better than 2008 I had a rifle with No BCG then :cray:

sinlessorrow
03-29-12, 21:53
well if you shop at spikes expect a 200% increase like last election:lol:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-30-12, 00:15
Call me crazy....

but I have about 750rds of 5.56 that I save for a rainy day, maybe 500rds of 9mm, and 200rds of .38. I cant foresee anything happening in the next 20 years that would require me to burn through that little stash. I have a great quality AR15 with a damn good optic, and a box of spare sparts to go with it. I have a couple of quality pistols that share the same mags and ammo. I have maybe 30 AR Mags and 10-15 pistol mags.

I didnt buy all of this for the doomsday scenario or to horde in fear of Obama. I got it all through being a shooter and enjoying my hobby. I cant think of anything else as far as guns go that I need to buy. If my AR and a pistol cant solve my problem, then Ive gotten my self into something that is a bit too deep.

Sometimes I let myself get panicked over these things, but when I do a mental check on the things that I currently own, I see no issue. Ive been emailing my LGS and telling them to reserve a new Colt and G19 for me so I dont have to worry about the frenzy, but why? I already own both of those, and the spare parts to supplement them. I guess all I am saying is that I dont NEED to be a part of this stupid game, I dont want to be a part of it. If more people really thought about how much they already own and stopped trying to buy EVERYTHING in stock because they are scared, then we wouldnt have these stupid gun-frenzies. Is there a risk we may lose our 2A rights? Sure. But why not take that $1000 you were gonna spend on a 3rd or 4th AR and donate it to the NRA, or to a campaign of a freedom loving politician (oxy moron?)?

sinlessorrow
03-30-12, 00:22
Call me crazy....

but I have about 750rds of 5.56 that I save for a rainy day, maybe 500rds of 9mm, and 200rds of .38. I cant foresee anything happening in the next 20 years that would require me to burn through that little stash. I have a great quality AR15 with a damn good optic, and a box of spare sparts to go with it. I have a couple of quality pistols that share the same mags and ammo. I have maybe 30 AR Mags and 10-15 pistol mags.

I didnt buy all of this for the doomsday scenario or to horde in fear of Obama. I got it all through being a shooter and enjoying my hobby. I cant think of anything else as far as guns go that I need to buy. If my AR and a pistol cant solve my problem, then Ive gotten my self into something that is a bit too deep.

Sometimes I let myself get panicked over these things, but when I do a mental check on the things that I currently own, I see no issue. Ive been emailing my LGS and telling them to reserve a new Colt and G19 for me so I dont have to worry about the frenzy, but why? I already own both of those, and the spare parts to supplement them. I guess all I am saying is that I dont NEED to be a part of this stupid game, I dont want to be a part of it. If more people really thought about how much they already own and stopped trying to buy EVERYTHING in stock because they are scared, then we wouldnt have these stupid gun-frenzies. Is there a risk we may lose our 2A rights? Sure. But why not take that $1000 you were gonna spend on a 3rd or 4th AR and donate it to the NRA, or to a campaign of a freedom loving politician (oxy moron?)?

i agree, i keep 1,200 rounds of MK262 Mod 1(personal reloads) in my SHTF stash. I figure if I ever need that much without replenishing my stash im screwed anyways.

i do horde 62gr wolf though, i figure for $100 / 500 rounds why not

ralph
03-30-12, 09:12
At the first of the year I got emails from dealers that have My C&R FFL on file,
they stated "ammo prices would be increasing due to Materials and metal prices were on a Global increase ".

I am glad I was able to build My supply up better than 2008 I had a rifle with No BCG then :cray:

I can understand a price increase on currently produced ammo due to metals like copper, brass, lead skyrocketing in price, But how does that translate to some of the surplus ammo that was made anywhere from 30-50yrs ago? I could never understand this. To me that's just taking advantage of the situation, and gouging...nothing more..

a1fabweld
03-30-12, 09:49

I didn't follow politics during the Clinton ban & I got burned. I swore I wouldn't let that happen again. Since then, if I have interest in a gun, I buy it. The current frenzy had motivated me to stock up on some more ammo & reloading components as I like to shoot as much as possible. When the shelves dry up for a year or more like the last election, I won't have to pay double for components or ammo.

Alex V
03-30-12, 11:28
When BCM first introduced their BCG's, they were $149 and then they lowered the price. So for me, they are just returning to their original price.C4

Haven't payed attention that long to be honest sir.

We have BCM BCG's in stock, but are hoarding them for MarkM. :sarcastic:
C4

I knew it! :happy:

JeepDriver
03-30-12, 11:52
Is is so wrong of me to hope things spike ?

I have some stuff to sell and would mind doubling my money ;)

The_War_Wagon
03-30-12, 12:51
Here's ya' a blast from the past - this was ELECTION NIGHT 2008, from their own website! :rolleyes:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/CTD1.jpg

And some DE-motivation to go along with it...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/CTD2.jpg

a1fabweld
03-30-12, 13:31
Here's ya' a blast from the past - this was ELECTION NIGHT 2008, from their own website! :rolleyes:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/CTD1.jpg

And some DE-motivation to go along with it...

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/CTD2.jpg
I like how they show "List Price" followed by "Our Low Price". Dirty ****ers.