PDA

View Full Version : AAR DCNC Carbine 2 17-18 March 2012 Carthage NC

NCPatrolAR
03-29-12, 09:19
Here's an AAR of the Carbine 2 class we taught earlier this month that I pulled off of a different forum.

AAR written by JDriver1.8t

I'm able to move a little bit better today.

I apologize in advance, I did not take notes at the end of the day, so my summary is probably missing a few things, and lacking in detail.

There were 6 students in this class.
We started with a quick Navy Drill to assess everyone's skill level.
Two of us (who can't read) needed to zero our rifles.
We then jumped in head first.
We covered different kneeling positions, as well as different supine and prone positions.
Then we went into bilateral shooting (switching shoulders). These were hasty transitions, and dedicated transitions to the opposite shoulder. (I discovered that I am a decent shot left handed.
After that we went into one handed shooting, both dominant and support side.
Once we had the basics down, we threw in one handed malfunction clearance.
We covered a small amount of shooting on the move as well.
We then moved on to the highlight of the class, which was shooting cars, in around, over, under, from, etc. We weren't supposed to shoot the vehicles, but that Honda had such a nice exterior I couldn't help but put three rounds through the top of the fender. Remembering bore/sight offset is key to making hits when using cover.
We ran different scenarios/drills involving the vehicles, and were able to experience firing our rifles in enclosed spaces (mini van).

The end of the first day ended with a team head-to-head relay on steel plates at ~75 yards.
The end of the second day ended with an individual timed course involving the vehicles, a 50lb bag of sand (sand baby), and utilization of nearly every topic we covered over the two days.

NCPatrolAR
03-29-12, 09:23
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/Carbine%202%2017-18%20March/DSC01656.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/Carbine%202%2017-18%20March/DSC01623.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/DefConNC/Carbine%202%2017-18%20March/DSC01636.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-31-12, 06:53
Another student review

Sorry guys for taking so long to get around to this but life has kept me busy.

I too attended the DCNC Advanced Carbine class earlier this month and I must say it was a wonderful experience! Those who read my post know that I am a big advocate for folks getting quality instruction if they plan to use their firearms for self defense.

I signed up for the class to get some quality instruction and guidance on some advanced level skills like bilateral & one handed shooting, shooting on the move, shooting from awkward positions, and malfunction clearing. This course gave me all I was looking for and then some! JDriver already summed up the flow of the class so I wont go back over that. I will say that I spent enough time clearing malfunctions and shooting one handed from awkward positions over that two day period than any time ever. Chris and Steve were both excellent instructors and showed me how to make shots with my Carbine that I'd never imagined taking let alone making. My comfort level with shooting my Carbine from my support side has increased 10x. Same can be said for shooting from various positions on the ground over and under object like cars.

The highlight of the weekend was the extensive time we spent shooting in and around cars and vans. This was an all new experience for me and one that I found valuable....so much so that im looking forward to the possibility of future classes with a sole focus on shooting pistol and Carbine in and around cars.

I definitely got my moneys worth and highly recommend anyone out there seeking instruction take a hard look at Defensive Concepts NC. I know I will be training with them again!