PDA

View Full Version : Consolidating platforms and calibers - New Glock 19

Eurodriver
03-29-12, 15:58
Within a year, I have gone through a myriad of different handgun platforms and calibers. .357 SIG (although that lasted less than a month), .40 S&W, .45ACP, Glock, Springfield, S&W. It was great having variety, but I am a shooter, not a collector. I don't get off by having the latest and greatest and bragging to friends. (I've actually gotten away from "gun chat" and focused more on doing things that actually matter, like shooting....damn, I sound like Rob.) My point is that it simply made sense from both an economic and training perspective to condense everything and make everything as interchangable as possible.

Enter 9mm Glocks.

I carry a Glock 26, and I have a Glock 19 on my nightstand but what I've been trying to remedy lately is the problem of having quick access to a gun in my car. I didn't want to take my 26 off my person while I'm driving and its almost impossible to get to in a hurry if I don't. I tried a Glock 32 in .357Sig but it lacked magazine and ammo compatability. That coupled with the increased blast and recoil made me reconsider.

Today I picked this up.

http://i39.tinypic.com/34imkxg.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2el464w.jpg

Its a G19 Police trade in. Yeah, its old, it looks like it has been dragged down a driveway and the slide doesn't match the barrel/frame. Manufacture date is somewhere in early 2001. But its solid and very smooth. I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it on Sunday.

This is what I'm left with. Top G19 is for the nightstand, Middle G19 is for the car, and Bottom is my carry gun.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2v84eti.jpg

All three have the same manual of arms, the same recoil, the same magazines (except 26 -> 19), the same ammunition, the same sights, the same trigger pull. It makes perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't do this to begin with.

JHC
03-29-12, 16:27
That is a smart way to do it alright. And that police trade in G19 looks superb. It takes forever to get that look. Appreciate it.

PrivateCitizen
03-29-12, 16:51
Same/same. G19s and a lone G26 for more discreet carry if needed.

All my mags work everywhere except the initial G26 (I retired the other G26 one).

The last G19 I picked up was a G3 with an "R" range. No trouble so far.

Vgex2
03-29-12, 16:55
Excellent setup. That is what a Glock should look like. Congrats.

rob_s
03-29-12, 17:00
You do sound like me. and you have the same guns, for pretty much the same purposes.

I'm sorry.
:sarcastic:

Eurodriver
03-29-12, 17:09
You do sound like me. and you have the same guns, for pretty much the same purposes.

I'm sorry.
:sarcastic:

Your message is usually on point and makes sense; but you'll never get me to give up the suppressor on my AR. :stop: :D

okie john
03-29-12, 17:22
That G19 looks like it's just getting broken in.

Okie John

tacti-cool
03-29-12, 18:19
I regularly switch my glock 26 and glock 19.
I love how all my holsters work for both.:suicide:

SeriousStudent
03-29-12, 20:57
May I be so bold as to make a polite suggestion?

Try and track down a used G19 frame, and an Advantage Arms .22 kit. You can set it up with the same trigger system and sights as your carry G19.

It's very handy as a teaching gun.

jbourneidentity
03-29-12, 22:33
Very, very smart and effective setup. Love the police trade G19. It has character.

blunderocerous
03-29-12, 22:49
I bought my first gun about three years ago, so I'm a relatively new shooter. Fortunately I was able to fight off the urge to buy guns in every platform known to man. After a stint with XD-40s I too consolidated on 9mm Glocks last summer, and I have no intention of trying to replace them. I do want a 1911 but it's not in my near-term plans.

chapperjoe
03-29-12, 23:32
If my hand fit the glock, I'd be with you, but I went M&P.

the forum here guided me well, made me realize that if I had to modify the glock to the extent that i did to get it to work for me, then it wasn't he gun for me to base a one-platform collection on.

my only regret is that with the glock mag, I could get into more SBR possibilities and consolidate the collection even more.

But the superb ergos of the m&p line make up for that.

BCmJUnKie
03-29-12, 23:36
I do the same exact thing.

I like having one caliber in my carbines and pistol.

I never understood the need for 20 different pistols. I appreciate it, and collecting is cool....just not for me.

davebee456
03-30-12, 00:06
I admire you for the Glock 9mm approach.
I tried it but I wanted to have 45acp in my collection and then I wanted to get a J-Frame For Pocket Carry...

rob_s
03-30-12, 04:43
then I wanted to get a J-Frame For Pocket Carry...
I bought a j-frame for the same reason. Turns out to be totally unworkble for me, my pockets, my body style.

So I use the Keltec .32 I've had since they first came out. It's like a .32 Glock, right?
:p

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-30-12, 05:58
Euro,

I think a lot of us are coming to or have come to the same conclusion you did as well. My 26 is my usual carry piece, and my 19's supplement/do car and HD duty.

jstyer
03-30-12, 07:27
I might be going down the same road... Currently I spend half my. Time with my glock 19 and half with my M&P9. I'm really thinking about consolidating...

5pins
03-30-12, 08:15
There must be something in the water. I just sold my M&P to my brother and picked up a second 19. I thought about getting another M&P but I’ve had my 19 since 93 and there is no way I was going to sell it. I got a gen 3 this time because I wanted the light rail. Now I have one for carry and one for HD.

Eurodriver
03-30-12, 14:56
editted

cheapsandwich
03-30-12, 16:39
I did the same,only with the M&P .40 &40c. Only buy one type of mag now and keep a small 9 just for when I'm on the scooter. I already had a bunch of mags and ammo for .40 so I didn't switch, just decided to reload for it. Couldn't be happier.

markdh720
03-31-12, 01:43
I started with a Sig P229DAK in 9mm. I wanted to switch to a striker-fired weapon, because all tests and training seemed to favor them. I had a bunch of 9mm ammo stocked up, and after seeing what guys were paying when switching to 45, I a 9mm guy. When a coworker was ready to sell his Glock 19, I jumped on it. Then another coworker wanted to sell his Glock 17, I took that one too. It's nice to only have to buy one caliber, and it's one of the cheaper ones at that. Plus, the Glocks feel like what 9mm what created for. Win-win.

I carry a J-frame when I really want to be concealed. I mainly keep it around because 1) it's super reliable for me and 2) I'm grandfathered in at my department (with only 6 years) and like to show it off to the rookies (with only 5 years). ;)

With three 9mm handguns and a 38 snubbie, I'm done with handguns.....is what I tell the wife.

canucksvt
03-31-12, 21:02
Back in 2009 when I lost my job, I consolidated platforms and calibers as well With the exception of a Ruger MKII, all my semi auto's that were not of the 9mm Glock persuasion were consigned at the local gun shop I deal with. Once I started back with gainful employment I have since added a G21SF to my mix.

The 9mm Glock family just made the best choice for me. I had a boat load of G17 magazines that would work in my G17, G19 and G26.

The only semi auto I want now is an original USGI 1911. :)

Eurodriver
04-01-12, 17:10
I love this new G19. I don't get hit in the face with brass like the new Gen3s and Gen 4s, its superbly reliable and deadly accurate. I forgot to mention that it has factory Mepro night sights on it and the 3 dots are way better for me than the OEM stuff Glock uses. At 15 yards the round was going exactly where I was "feeling" it to go. What I mean by that is the point of aim is so natural and the weapon so smooth that without focusing directly on the sights I can still hit the bullseye (not match winning by any means, but effectively). Slowing down and actually using the sights would get me an x ring hit on the 25 yard NRA slow fire pistol target every single time. I'm not sure if the trigger is smoother because it is more worn or if the sights are better for me but I could not shoot as well with my newer G19 even though they were both side by side.

Here's the Glock family. My friends brought their G23, G32, and G20 to go along with my two G19s. I did not bring the G26.

Very happy with this purchase.
http://i40.tinypic.com/30c9gl2.jpg

Tzook
04-01-12, 17:40
I've made the transition to a single platform recently as well, and I think I'm better for it. I used to have an Hk 45 on the nightstand, and carried a G19, but I've picked up a G21SF for my nightstand gun, and I think in the long run shooting all Glocks is going to pay off

Eurodriver
04-01-12, 21:28
I've made the transition to a single platform recently as well, and I think I'm better for it. I used to have an Hk 45 on the nightstand, and carried a G19, but I've picked up a G21SF for my nightstand gun, and I think in the long run shooting all Glocks is going to pay off

If I were ever to get another caliber handgun again, i would like it to be a G21.

However, that raises the question: Why? (and I am speaking about myself here only)

I could get a G17 and accomplish the same thing, with a higher magazine capacity, interchangability with my G19 and G26 and stock the same ammunition with reduced overpenetration in my modest wooden beach bungalow.

The more I think about my situation logically, the more having 9mm Glocks only makes sense. Again, speaking strictly from my point of view only.

davidjinks
04-02-12, 08:01
DELETED

glocktogo
04-02-12, 09:28
I have a 17 for competition, a 19 as a car/CCW and an LE 26 on order with GT Dist. Nothing I can't do with those 3.

LRB45
04-02-12, 13:17
I also have a Gen 3 Glock 19. Awesome gun! I also would like to pick up another 19, either Gen 3 or 4, and wouldn't mind getting a 26.

However I also would not limit myself to just the Glock platform. If funds allow I would get some sort of HK or S & W in either 9 or .45. The way I see it, it is great to be very proficient with one gun platform, however it also doesn't hurt to be able to run other guns also. Kinda like learning to drive a stick shift vs. an automatic car. You never know when you might have to run something alittle different.

Or gun related, AR vs. AK. I pretty much run my AR exclusively for my long gun, but when I have the opportunity to run an AK, I don't pass it up.

Eurodriver
04-02-12, 15:40
I also have a Gen 3 Glock 19. Awesome gun! I also would like to pick up another 19, either Gen 3 or 4, and wouldn't mind getting a 26.

However I also would not limit myself to just the Glock platform. If funds allow I would get some sort of HK or S & W in either 9 or .45. The way I see it, it is great to be very proficient with one gun platform, however it also doesn't hurt to be able to run other guns also. Kinda like learning to drive a stick shift vs. an automatic car. You never know when you might have to run something alittle different.

Or gun related, AR vs. AK. I pretty much run my AR exclusively for my long gun, but when I have the opportunity to run an AK, I don't pass it up.

I was on the passenger manifest to that train of thought for a long while. Then Failure2Stop made a great point - When the hell am I ever going to be in a gunfight that things are so bad, that things have gone to such shit, I will not only need to but be able to procure another firearm to finish the fight?

I understand the reasoning behind it, but with your logic one should own an HK, a Sig, a Beretta, an M&P, a Hi-Point, both a DA and SA revolver, a 1911, etc etc. Where does it end? I have shot all the above extensively and I don't think I will go full retard if for some reason I have to grab a P228 in a firefight simply because I don't own one.

If the shit does hit the fan and you need another firearm, it makes more sense to have a spare G19 in the safe if you are proficient with G19s than a Sig P226.

I think it would be way more likely that, if trained with Glocks, you would pick up that HK during a high stress situation and forget to remove the safety costing you your life than your Glock malfunctioning so badly that you have to scrounge around for, and find another firearm like an HK.

glocktogo
04-02-12, 16:03
I was on the passenger manifest to that train of thought for a long while. Then Failure2Stop made a great point - When the hell am I ever going to be in a gunfight that things are so bad, that things have gone to such shit, I will not only need to but be able to procure another firearm to finish the fight?

I understand the reasoning behind it, but with your logic one should own an HK, a Sig, a Beretta, an M&P, a Hi-Point, both a DA and SA revolver, a 1911, etc etc. Where does it end? I have shot all the above extensively and I don't think I will go full retard if for some reason I have to grab a P228 in a firefight simply because I don't own one.

If the shit does hit the fan and you need another firearm, it makes more sense to have a spare G19 in the safe if you are proficient with G19s than a Sig P226.

I think it would be way more likely that, if trained with Glocks, you would pick up that HK during a high stress situation and forget to remove the safety costing you your life than your Glock malfunctioning so badly that you have to scrounge around for, and find another firearm like an HK.

I think that any true student of the game should have hands on experience with most of the major defensive platforms available. If you haven't experienced it 1st hand, how can you dismiss it (major supported platforms, not shit like Hi-Point)? I think it's good early on to own and shoot multiple types. After the experimental phase, you should be narrowing the field. If you're an instructor that may be teaching agency/unit groups, it might be a good idea to train using what they're required to use. Beyond that, I see no reason to stock multiple types "just in case". Having owned 1911, Browning, Beretta, Glock, HK, Sig, Smith, etc., I'm down to Glocks, 1911's and Smith revolvers. That's it. I could have a lot more and shoot them all pretty darn well, I just see no need for it.

PrivateCitizen
04-02-12, 16:16
If things ever got so bad that I had to go completely outside my own setups to defend myself … like grab an AK or the nearest Makarov cuz that is all there was …

… I have a lot bigger problems than running whatever the replacement item is a peak proficiency.

I am reasonably well versed on basic firearms form and function. I could figure it out. But given that .000000001% chance … it simply is a variable that isn't. And certainly not enough to break from the proficiency efforts in the 99.9999% of likely scenarios.

Eurodriver
04-03-12, 15:50
I guess rectification of the "Oh shit, I have to grab another type of gun" problem would be to just buy more backups of your primary.

At least thats what I did today. $399 for a Gen2 G19. Couldn't pass it up. I swear, every time I go out looking for a G17 I come home with a 19.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dw4ah2.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hmzpfs.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/5487z7.jpg

I installed some new Trijicon Night Sights. Eventually all of my Glocks will have 3 dot night sights. The G26 is getting done tomorrow and the remaining G19 will get done whenever I get around to it. (Its got a flashlight, I don't need night sights :sarcastic: )

Its, obviously, identical to my Gen 3 G19s however I've come to actually like the finger grooves unlike most Glock owners. I feel like the grip on this gun is too slippery. Other than that and it not having a slot for mounting a light its identical to the Gen 3s. The trigger is incredible. I'm really getting spoiled with these older Glocks. I don't think I'll ever buy a new one again.

Shokr21
04-03-12, 16:05
EuroDriver, do you have any links or leads to gen2 g19's? or are you finding them locally?

Eurodriver
04-03-12, 16:32
EuroDriver, do you have any links or leads to gen2 g19's? or are you finding them locally?

They are local. I found a Gen2 G17 but it was beat to shit and they wanted $500 for it.

Shokr21
04-03-12, 16:38
thanks, sadly I live in an area of relatively low gun turnover. Guys are either shooting $2000+ race rigs or revolvers and hunting rifles/shotguns.

Very little in the way of practical pistols available used

SeriousStudent
04-03-12, 20:48

$399 for a Gen2 G19. Couldn't pass it up.

I feel like the grip on this gun is too slippery.

Nice snag, congrats.

I have had good luck just using a bit of an old mountain bike inner tube. I snip off a section about two inches long, and pull it over the grip. And almost no bulk, and does not catch on clothing the way grip tape does. So it tends to print less.

It's not very elegant looking, but it's a Glock, not a Colt Python.

Eurodriver
04-04-12, 07:23
Nice snag, congrats.

I have had good luck just using a bit of an old mountain bike inner tube. I snip off a section about two inches long, and pull it over the grip. And almost no bulk, and does not catch on clothing the way grip tape does. So it tends to print less.

It's not very elegant looking, but it's a Glock, not a Colt Python.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I don't care how it looks, but at least the Gen3 finger grooves help some. I can't imagine having to grab this gun if my hands were covered in grease from chicken wings or something. :secret:

5pins
04-04-12, 11:43
Its, obviously, identical to my Gen 3 G19s however I've come to actually like the finger grooves unlike most Glock owners.

I found the finger grooves to be much better than I thought. They actually fit my hand pretty good. However the trigger guard is rubbing the knuckle on my middle finger.

QuietShootr
04-04-12, 12:18
Within a year, I have gone through a myriad of different handgun platforms and calibers. .357 SIG (although that lasted less than a month), .40 S&W, .45ACP, Glock, Springfield, S&W. It was great having variety, but I am a shooter, not a collector. I don't get off by having the latest and greatest and bragging to friends. (I've actually gotten away from "gun chat" and focused more on doing things that actually matter, like shooting....damn, I sound like Rob.) My point is that it simply made sense from both an economic and training perspective to condense everything and make everything as interchangable as possible.

Enter 9mm Glocks.

I carry a Glock 26, and I have a Glock 19 on my nightstand but what I've been trying to remedy lately is the problem of having quick access to a gun in my car. I didn't want to take my 26 off my person while I'm driving and its almost impossible to get to in a hurry if I don't. I tried a Glock 32 in .357Sig but it lacked magazine and ammo compatability. That coupled with the increased blast and recoil made me reconsider.

Today I picked this up.

http://i39.tinypic.com/34imkxg.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2el464w.jpg

Its a G19 Police trade in. Yeah, its old, it looks like it has been dragged down a driveway and the slide doesn't match the barrel/frame. Manufacture date is somewhere in early 2001. But its solid and very smooth. I'm going to run a couple hundred rounds through it on Sunday.

This is what I'm left with. Top G19 is for the nightstand, Middle G19 is for the car, and Bottom is my carry gun.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2v84eti.jpg

All three have the same manual of arms, the same recoil, the same magazines (except 26 -> 19), the same ammunition, the same sights, the same trigger pull. It makes perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't do this to begin with.

I did this a couple of years ago. I got tired of ****ing around with broke 1911s and I can't afford to shoot nearly as much .45 as 9mm.