PDA

View Full Version : Charging handle is VERY tight

BBQBOY
03-29-12, 17:38
Just bought my Daniel Defense a couple days ago. The charging handle is very tight and is somewhat difficult to rack.
What can I do to loosen it? I am not able to shoot it right now, so, breaking it in by firing it is not an option right away. I have been racking it repeatedly many times and it is still tight.

Failure2Stop
03-29-12, 17:47
Are you sure it's the CH?
Have you removed the BCG and checked the fit of the CH without anything else in the upper?

mtdawg169
03-29-12, 17:52
Be sure your BCG is properly assembled.

BBQBOY
03-29-12, 19:38
It racks fine but compared to other AR's I have shot, those slid out without any effort.
When I separate the upper from the lower, the bolt and charging handle slide easily.

Failure2Stop
03-29-12, 19:41
Lube the action spring

BBQBOY
03-29-12, 19:54
Here are some rub marks.Again, the gun has never been fired, except for test firing at DD.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w252/BBQRidge/475204d8.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w252/BBQRidge/e80172b6.jpg

Failure2Stop
03-29-12, 19:58
I'd also lube those friction points on the CH as well as the grooves in the receiver.

Kokopelli
03-29-12, 20:09
It looks dry to me too.. Apply a nice coating of FP-10 or similar to most everything.. Wear glasses for a while when firing.. JMO.. Ron

BBQBOY
03-29-12, 22:20
Is Ballistol ok to use or just use Break Free(CLP)?

Col_Crocs
03-29-12, 23:11
BF CLP will do as a start but i recommend getting better lube. Look up frog lube.

AKDoug
03-29-12, 23:27
The only thing I can add to the conversation is that my new DDM4V7 charging handle only shows a tiny bit of wear on the top side of the guide ears. Does the charging handle move freely in it's tracks without the BCG installed. BTW..shooting it won't change a thing. The CH stays put once you charge a round.

R0CKETMAN
03-30-12, 05:18
Lube, shoot it, or perhaps the weight room.

mtdawg169
03-30-12, 06:02
It racks fine but compared to other AR's I have shot, those slid out without any effort.
When I separate the upper from the lower, the bolt and charging handle slide easily.

So everything moves freely when the upper & lower are separated? If so, this may be a case of you noticing the difference between a brand new gun & action spring versus the used / broken in guns you've shot in the past. If it just seems tight, but is smooth all the way through the charging cycle, it probably needs lube & to be shot. The action spring will soften up and the BCG will smooth out with a few hundred rounds of use. The only thing I would be cautious about is if it feels like something is binding in the gun when charging.

AKDoug
03-30-12, 10:16
BTW..shooting it won't change a thing. The CH stays put once you charge a round. Should have clarified. Shooting won't clean up the sticky spots on the CH, but will certainly smooth everything else up.

itllgrowback
03-30-12, 10:32

Make sure it's not contacting the top edge of the receiver end plate - when I installed my Magpul ASAP, immediately it became harder to charge the weapon - turns out the end plate was riding high, and I had to tap it downward with a punch to get it to make clearance for the charging handle. Since then, no worries.

TehLlama
03-30-12, 10:40
Should have clarified. Shooting won't clean up the sticky spots on the CH, but will certainly smooth everything else up.

This, and the Pat Rogers maxim of 'if it shines it gets lube'.

3 AE
03-30-12, 15:42
You first mention that the CH is tight and difficult to rack. Then you say it racks fine but not as easy as other ARs. Hmmm. Does it feel like it's binding throughout the entire stroke when charging the weapon or is it the first inch or so when you pull back and then it frees up? Could be a slight misalignment of the gas tube. Can you try swapping the CH with several others to see if it's just your CH that is the problem or something else?

BBQBOY
03-30-12, 16:53
After giving it a little bit of Ballistol, it seems to to havesmoothened out a little. I'm going to work with it a little more.

SteadyUp
03-30-12, 18:45
After giving it a little bit of Ballistol, it seems to to havesmoothened out a little. I'm going to work with it a little more.

Once you actually shoot the gun, things should smooth out. I would strongly recommend using good lube too. There are a million opinions on lube, just make sure you use a good one, (not CLP or RemOil).

DOA
03-30-12, 19:49
Once you actually shoot the gun, things should smooth out. I would strongly recommend using good lube too. There are a million opinions on lube, just make sure you use a good one, (not CLP or RemOil).

Never once had a problem with CLP. As with anything else. Different people have different OPINIONS.

SteadyUp
03-30-12, 19:56
Never once had a problem with CLP. As with anything else. Different people have different OPINIONS.

Whatever works for you, fine by me.