PDA

View Full Version : M&P FRONT SIGHT INSTILLATION

M4CARBINE556
03-30-12, 01:40
Hey everybody, I bought some warren tactical night sights for my M&P 9mm, but I can't get the front sight to go on. I used a punch for the rear sight and to remove the old front sight, but I can't get the new front sight to budge! Like an idiot I used a little bit of blue thread locker so it wouldn't come lose, but I didn't get it all the way in, so now its stuck. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

JR TACTICAL
03-30-12, 03:19
apply LIGHT heat with a torch and that should loosen up the lock tite so you can get it in the rest of the way

orionz06
03-30-12, 06:31
Agree on the light heat. It does not take much to have the heat conduct its way to where it needs to be nor does it take much to get it loose. If that fails try some PB Blaster.

C4IGrant
03-30-12, 09:16
Hey everybody, I bought some warren tactical night sights for my M&P 9mm, but I can't get the front sight to go on. I used a punch for the rear sight and to remove the old front sight, but I can't get the new front sight to budge! Like an idiot I used a little bit of blue thread locker so it wouldn't come lose, but I didn't get it all the way in, so now its stuck. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

Do you have the sight pusher? This removes everything.

C4

cj5_dude
03-30-12, 10:40
Just use a hammer and a brass punch and smack it.

M4CARBINE556
03-30-12, 13:04
No I don't have the sight pusher, I was trying to save the money, but ill probably just buy it now.

bdcheung
03-30-12, 14:09
No I don't have the sight pusher, I was trying to save the money, but ill probably just buy it now.

I thought the same before I encountered the frustrations of a hammer and punch. So I bought the sight pusher.

Rattlehead
03-30-12, 14:56
I thought the same before I encountered the frustrations of a hammer and punch. So I bought the sight pusher.

+1.

If you shoot handguns a lot, having a sight pusher is a huge benefit.

arcticlightfighter
03-30-12, 19:27
+1.

If you shoot handguns a lot, having a sight pusher is a huge benefit.

Best $100 I've spent in a while.

M4CARBINE556
03-31-12, 02:50
I went ahead and ordered the sight pusher, when I get it should I back the sight out and file it down a little, or just force it all the way in with the sight pusher?

arcticlightfighter
03-31-12, 04:40
I went ahead and ordered the sight pusher, when I get it should I back the sight out and file it down a little, or just force it all the way in with the sight pusher?

The last Warren front I installed ( 2 days ago) went in smoothly without any modification.

The one before that was very tight but I was still able to get it installed with the sight pusher. I would try it first and see how difficult it is with out filing the sight base. I prepped the sight channel with a bit of Slip2000 and that seemed to help.

M4CARBINE556
03-31-12, 13:25
OK thanks.

M4CARBINE556
04-04-12, 13:26
I got my sight tool in the mail today, but when I tried using it to install my front sight the pusher part off the tool is a little to long and hits the slide before it gets to the sight. Is that normal? And yes it is the m&p tool.

bdcheung
04-04-12, 13:27
I got my sight tool in the mail today, but when I tried using it to install my front sight the pusher part off the tool is a little to long and hits the slide before it gets to the sight. Is that normal? And yes it is the m&p tool.

Remove the spacer that goes between the frame of the tool and the T-shaped bit that clamps down on the slide.

M4CARBINE556
04-04-12, 19:43
Remove the spacer that goes between the frame of the tool and the T-shaped bit that clamps down on the slide.

Thanks man that did it! Is the spacer for the rear sight or something?

Gutshot John
04-04-12, 21:13
Be careful with the sight pusher...it's frighteningly easy to **** up your sight.

Some go in easy...some do not...I think the hammer/punch is the better/safer option.

JR TACTICAL
04-04-12, 21:36
Be careful with the sight pusher...it's frighteningly easy to **** up your sight.

Some go in easy...some do not...I think the hammer/punch is the better/safer option.

Agreed, I have seen a few people use the pusher inproperly and break the sight in two!?

A drift punch and hammer is all that is needed.

OP, if the sight is giving you problems you may have to use a file and remove some material from the sight. Now, when I say some, make sure you remove material evenly and test frequently because if you remove too much, you need to start all over... I.E. buy another sight(ask me how I konw)

M4CARBINE556
04-04-12, 23:10
I'm all done now, the tool worked great once I figured it out! Thanks for all the help guys.

Joeywhat
04-04-12, 23:37

I wholeheartedly agree...a punch and hammer is SO much easier and safer to use.

You DO need to have a solid vise to hold the slide in...otherwise I fail to see how the sight tool would do any better then a punch and hammer...then again you also need the appropriate punch. Something too big or too small won't work well.

Also, as has been already stated, many sights require fitting. If it doesn't go in with relative ease, it needs some material removed.

bdcheung
04-05-12, 07:44
I found that pushing the base of the sight, and not the "fin", prevents a lot of ****-ups. Also, if it doesn't go in with normal torque on the sight tool, then something is wrong and you need to back out and evaluate the situation.

arcticlightfighter
04-05-12, 09:00
I found that pushing the base of the sight, and not the "fin", prevents a lot of ****-ups. Also, if it doesn't go in with normal torque on the sight tool, then something is wrong and you need to back out and evaluate the situation.

Agreed. Use common sense and the right tool and youll be good to go. Sometimes a punch and hammer will work. sometimes it wont.

mtdawg169
04-05-12, 10:37
On my m&P 9c, I needed to remove a very small amount of material from the base of the front sight. Two minutes on a fine diamond wet stone and it was a perfect fit. I prefer the sight pusher since I've dinged more than a couple of sights with a hammer & punch. It's much easier to make fine adjustments with the sight pusher.