PDA

View Full Version : First shot landing low

globeguy
03-30-12, 11:39
My first shot has a tendency to print low about 70% of time. At about 8 yards it ends up about 4 inches lower than POA. I'm not on a DA/SA gun, it happens whether the gun is coming is out of a holster or not.

I do not think it's a LOP issue, as I can shoot POA 30% of time during live fire and I can consistently have steady front sight during dry fire.

Is there any drills I can do to correct this?

Magsz
03-30-12, 11:41
Do you know where your gun prints/groups?

There is a possibility you are shooting the tip of the blade for your first shot and the gun is configured to shoot behind the dot.

You see the impact of your first round go low and you make the correction by unconsciously "fixing" your sight picture.

Other than that, you could have a minor flinch.

globeguy
03-30-12, 11:53
Do you know where your gun prints/groups?

There is a possibility you are shooting the tip of the blade for your first shot and the gun is configured to shoot behind the dot.

You see the impact of your first round go low and you make the correction by unconsciously "fixing" your sight picture.

Other than that, you could have a minor flinch.

I'm 99% certain I cover my target with my front sight on all shots. But that's something I can pay extra attention to next time I'm shooting to write off that possilbity. Minor flinch is a possibility, I will use dummy rounds to confirm this.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Str8Jacket722
03-30-12, 20:14
You are anticipating the shot. If your sight alignment and sight picture are good to go, then you might try some slow dry fire exercises. This will allow you ample time and opportunity to recognize this issue. The good news is that it is fixable whatever you discern the problem to be. This is something that you train and train and train some more to recognize and eliminate. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast and even the best gunfighters out there dry fire daily to reinforce good technique and smooth away rough edges and training scars.

~Str8

durus5995
03-31-12, 04:10
My first shot has a tendency to print low about 70% of time. At about 8 yards it ends up about 4 inches lower than POA. I'm not on a DA/SA gun, it happens whether the gun is coming is out of a holster or not.

I do not think it's a LOP issue, as I can shoot POA 30% of time during live fire and I can consistently have steady front sight during dry fire.

Is there any drills I can do to correct this?

What level is your pistol shooting experience? Have you taken any formal training?

I know one thing that can point out a flinch issue is have your shooting buddy load up a couple random dummy rounds in your mags and see what happens.

I used to have the same thing happen and during a class one of the instructors loaded one of my mags and found that I had a flintch.