PDA

View Full Version : Glock generation info ?

TWR
08-25-06, 14:17
Can someone please explain the differences in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen glocks. I went looking for a new G19 today but instead will have to look for a used one.

Is there anything special to look for or look out for?

SuicideHz
08-25-06, 14:20
The jump from 2nd to 3rd is when the finger grooves and accessory rails came about IIRC.

You should be able to find TONS of used 3rd gens by now and at good prices.

Business_Casual
08-25-06, 14:32
The jump from 2nd to 3rd is when the finger grooves and accessory rails came about IIRC.

You should be able to find TONS of used 3rd gens by now and at good prices.

http://www.glockfaq.com/images/pics/framegens.jpg

M_P

Robb Jensen
08-25-06, 14:43
There are also Gen 2.5 in some models.........these are G26s and G27s that have finger grooves but no checkering on the front strap.

SuicideHz
08-25-06, 15:15
So the 26 and 27 sort of kicked off the 3rd gens? It seems they tried incorporating finger grooves into the tiny guns for controlability and figured "hell, we ought to incorporate these into all future Glocks when we come up with a few more changes!"

SethB
08-25-06, 15:17
The only good thing about the finger grooves is that they are plastic and easily removed with a dremel. The light rail is a different story.

Wayne Dobbs
08-25-06, 15:28
It likely doesn't make much difference, but the 3rd Gen guns also have early versions that are two pin guns and later ones that are three pin guns, adding the locking block reinforcement pin to all 9mm models to standardize on frame production.

WD

Business_Casual
08-25-06, 17:13
Finger grooves, thumb rest, etc. are there to meet BATF "sporting arms" import points requirements. Don't blame or credit Glock for the changes.

That is also why we have no .380 Glocks and why the others come in with no sights and Symrna adds those crappy plastic ones.

All hail the mighty tax agents' wisdom.

M_P

TWR
08-25-06, 17:40
That's good to know because I like the finger grooves and the light rail.

I bought a used G32, 3rd gen last week that was like new for $425.00 out the door. Went back today to buy a new G19 and it was $590.00 that's too much of a price difference for me so I'm looking for a used one. Thanks for the info guys.

Forgot to ask, Wayne Dobbs, what's the 2 pin vs. 3 pin difference?

Wayne Dobbs
08-26-06, 01:58
The two pin guns were what Glock started with in the 9mm pistols: a trigger pin and trigger housing pin. When the .40 SW came along, the two pin guns had locking block flex and breakage issues, so a third pin was added to stabilize the locking block, called the locking block reinforcement pin.

The 9mm guns continued to be made with two pin frames. Later on (after the 3rd generation frames came along with finger grooves and the rail), Glock standardized all the frames with three pins to eliminate making two different frames for the same basic applications. This also will eliminate the need to make a different slide stop lever for the G-17, as its design in the two pin guns required a limiting spike on its upper body. With the three pin gun, that will not be necessary.

While durability in the 9mm guns has never been seriously questioned, the addition of the third pin now somewhat "overengineers" the 9mm pistols.