PDA

View Full Version : Surefire 6PX Defender ok as a weaponlight?

Clem
03-30-12, 15:01
Is the Surefire 6PX Defender LED a viable option as a rail mounted light for a carbine?
I've read that the Pro and Tactical are not.

SteadyUp
03-30-12, 15:39
I have the polymer body equivalent of the 6PX series, which is the G2X series. While they're not "official" weapon-mounted lights, I've run a G2X on my carbine without any trouble. It's in a Gear Sector mount, and it has seen at least 3000 rounds. No trouble whatsoever with it. Nada.

So my answer, based only on personal experience, is that yes, the 6PX is a viable option for a rail mounted light.

Clem
03-30-12, 21:56
Sounds good to me.
Thanks SteadyUp.

TangoSauce
04-01-12, 00:15
It's looking pretty kosher to me with the new click switch. I prefer the Scout, obviously, but I'd like to put lights on a few other rifles without breaking the bank. I may order a couple from LAPG as they are running a hell of a deal on them right now.

Javelin
04-01-12, 00:21
It's looking pretty kosher to me with the new click switch. I prefer the Scout, obviously, but I'd like to put lights on a few other rifles without breaking the bank. I may order a couple from LAPG as they are running a hell of a deal on them right now.

This site has free shipping and they are a good outfit I have found.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=743159&is=REG&A=details&Q=&SU6PXABK=

Just in case you didn't know there is no 'clicky' just a momentary on switch (like the G2X). You turn them for constant on which kind of sucks IMO but for the price you cannot beat them. I personally have the G2X-Tactical and really like it!

Good luck with your decision.

:D

TangoSauce
04-01-12, 00:44

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=743159&is=REG&A=details&Q=&SU6PXABK=

Just in case you didn't know there is no 'clicky' just a momentary on switch (like the G2X). You turn them for constant on which kind of sucks IMO but for the price you cannot beat them. I personally have the G2X-Tactical and really like it!

Nice call man. I didn't realize there were other options that weren't dual output in that line for one, which is nice. I kind of glazed over them when I picked up my Scout. Cheers

Javelin
04-01-12, 00:53
Nice call man. I didn't realize there were other options that weren't dual output in that line for one, which is nice. I kind of glazed over them when I picked up my Scout. Cheers

Alaska Po-Po did the same thing with the 400 lumen Surefire. Though I don't think they will come out with the 400 lumen single output until this summer. I don't know much about flashlights other than I just want the thing to work when I need it.

G-lock
04-01-12, 12:02

Javelin-
Your link was to the 6PX, not the Defender he asked about, the difference is the switch on the 6PX defender has the same tail cap as the G2X pro, it is a clicky e.g. push for momentary, push through the click and it's on. I just got one Friday and this is clear mentioned on the Surefire site.

Clem
04-01-12, 12:10
Yeah, that's the place where I was looking. Can't beat that price.
I live about half an hour outside of NYC and I've bought camera stuff from them. As you said, they are a good outfit.
They actually have a great price on the m300a too.
I'm a bit torn between the 2. I'd like to keep the cost down, but I don't know what the differences are between the 6px defender and the m300a. The defender has 200 lumen output and the m300a has 110. How big a difference is this? Is the m300a a tighter beam?

og556
04-01-12, 13:54
Is the 6PX built like the G2X with the exception of the aluminum body ?

If so I would not use it as a weapon light. The older G2's had springs on the positive terminal at the head and on the tailcap which would help isolate the shock of the batteries shifting due to recoil.

The newer G2X I have only has a spring at the tailcap. Wouldn't this be more susceptible to damage when the batteries shift during recoil ?

Javelin
04-01-12, 14:17
Is the 6PX built like the G2X with the exception of the aluminum body ?

If so I would not use it as a weapon light. The older G2's had springs on the positive terminal at the head and on the tailcap which would help isolate the shock of the batteries shifting due to recoil.

The newer G2X I have only has a spring at the tailcap. Wouldn't this be more susceptible to damage when the batteries shift during recoil ?

I am not an expert but I personally believe that it would be dependent on your flashlight being dual mode or single mode.

:)

TangoSauce
04-01-12, 15:55
I ordered one of the Defenders today to give it a go.

Using SUB10 on LA Police Gear TODAY gives you a slightly better deal including USPS shipping.

Javelin
04-01-12, 18:19
Nice. A G2X-Tactical comes to $60 delivered.

Not bad grasshopper! :dance3: