PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction

LeipersForkFirearms
03-30-12, 21:43
Was at the range the other day when I started have several rounds stick in the chamber and fail to eject. After dissembling the rifle I found that the gas key was sloppy loose and the screws had backed out somewhat. I tightened them back down and added a bit of blue loctight.

My question is does this look like the key was staked improperly? Heres some pictures from after me re-tightening. This is a double star AR-15

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c0w1j1p8KV0/T3ZuCxzp3nI/AAAAAAAAAL8/FoJXChEK3vY/s1248/DSC00095.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8WUQlzA_Sqg/T3ZuC_i3WZI/AAAAAAAAAME/6Qvi6_PMnDM/h147/DSC00096.JPG

DeltaSierra
03-30-12, 21:47
Yeah, that key is staked horribly...

It isn't that hard to properly stake a gas key, and I can't figure out why DSA doesn't do it right........

hotrodder636
03-30-12, 22:03
Was at the range the other day when I started have several rounds stick in the chamber and fail to eject. After dissembling the rifle I found that the gas key was sloppy loose and the screws had backed out somewhat. I tightened them back down and added a bit of blue loctight.

My question is does this look like the key was staked improperly? Heres some pictures from after me re-tightening. This is a double star AR-15

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c0w1j1p8KV0/T3ZuCxzp3nI/AAAAAAAAAL8/FoJXChEK3vY/s1248/DSC00095.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8WUQlzA_Sqg/T3ZuC_i3WZI/AAAAAAAAAME/6Qvi6_PMnDM/h147/DSC00096.JPG

Is that how it came, or after you shot or after you staked? I guess I am confues byt your post.

DeltaSierra
03-30-12, 22:07
Is that how it came, or after you shot or after you staked? I guess I am confues byt your post.

According to his post, he shot the gun, the gas key came loose, he applied loctite to, and re-tightened the screws, and took a picture, in that order...

goodoleboy
03-30-12, 22:10
Yeah, that key wasn't staked right. The staking should be on the left and right side of the gas key, pushing in. This should be staked so the mangled part of the gas key pushes in on the hex screws so they will never back out.

VIP3R 237
03-30-12, 22:10
Yeah, that key is staked horribly...

It isn't that hard to properly stake a gas key, and I can't figure out why DSA doesn't do it right........

unfortunately it's not just dsa... rra cough* dpms cough*

lethal dose
03-30-12, 22:12
That staking is horrendous. Also, blue loctite is a no no. Remove those fasteners and replace them with a set or grade 8 then stake.

DeltaSierra
03-30-12, 22:19
unfortunately it's not just dsa... rra cough* dpms cough*

I know...

I'm not shocked that RRA/DPMS/Bushmaster can't figure out the whole staking thing...

I am however, surprised that DSA, being the leading manufacturer of high quality FAL rifles in the US can't seem to get their act together on their AR-style rifles...

LeipersForkFirearms
03-30-12, 22:51
I sent an email off to double star to see what they have to say. This gun has only had around 1000 rounds through it so I defiantly would not have expected a failure like this. Ill let everyone know how the customer service goes.

Moltke
03-30-12, 23:47
If you're going to use loctite on those screws, use red not blue.

polymorpheous
03-30-12, 23:51
I know...

I'm not shocked that RRA/DPMS/Bushmaster can't figure out the whole staking thing...

I am however, surprised that DSA, being the leading manufacturer of high quality FAL rifles in the US can't seem to get their act together on their AR-style rifles...

Double star and DSA are two separate companies.
http://www.star15.com/
http://www.dsarms.com/

Iraqgunz
03-31-12, 01:05
Forget contacting Double Star. Chances are that in addition to a screwy bolt carrier, your bolt is probably not HP/MPI proofed.

I would buy an LMT, DD or BCM BCG and replace it.

The other option is to purchase a new carrier key, correct screws and then replace your current one. If you torque the screws and stake it properly you do not need Loc-tite or anything else. Then purchase a bolt from DD, LMT, Colt or BCM.

Generalpie
03-31-12, 10:09
Take the advice of Gunz.

On another note, if the screws backed out causing a malfunction by definition they were staked improperly, regardless of what they look like.

If you want to make that one usable for range work, get a new set of screws and stake it properly.

There are a bunch of posts as well as a stickie on the subject, if I recall correctly.

LeipersForkFirearms
04-02-12, 08:39
Here is the first message I have received back from double star on the issue

DoubleStar's bolt carrier keys are side staked. I would have thought
that J&T Distributing's keys were staked the same. You need to contact
Tim at J&T Distributing to see if you can get the carrier inspected.
His email address is: tim@jtdistributing.com.

Apparently J&T sticks their own bolt carrier in double star's rifles? Ill see what happens when I hear back from J&T

TacticalSledgehammer
04-02-12, 11:13
I've owned 2 double stars. My first rifle was double star (supplied) everything. I found out they used CMT BCGs (this was in 2004). Now they may use their own. My second double star rifle was a build. I bought a dpms bcg (big mistake as it was out of spec and wouldn't fit into the upper) so then I bought a LMT and has been issue free.

Iraqgunz
04-02-12, 11:45
You're still trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Here is the first message I have received back from double star on the issue

Apparently J&T sticks their own bolt carrier in double star's rifles? Ill see what happens when I hear back from J&T

LeipersForkFirearms
04-02-12, 11:46
J&T Has been very prompt in responding to me and assures me that this issue Is extremely rare to the point that none of them there have ever seen it. They are going to take the bolt back and replace with new parts and re-stake.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-02-12, 11:47
You're still trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Haha.....they do make an okay bench gun in my opinion.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-02-12, 11:50
J&T Has been very prompt in responding to me and assures me that this issue Is extremely rare to the point that none of them there have ever seen it. They are going to take the bolt back and replace with new parts and re-stake.

I work with an armorer that used to work there. They are a good company with good people, I'm just not 100% sure about their specs on some things. I give them credit for changing my mind on the AR-15 after shooting dpms and disliking it (thinking all were the same). That was almost 10 years ago.

glocktogo
04-02-12, 15:16
I sent an email off to double star to see what they have to say. This gun has only had around 1000 rounds through it so I defiantly would not have expected a failure like this. Ill let everyone know how the customer service goes.

Actually, you should absolutely expect a failure like this considering the workmanship and materials.

It's still going to come back with cheap, soft YFS fasteners and not be HP/MP tested. I'd immediately dump the new BCG before firing it and get a quality unit from BCM or other reputable outfit.

TacticalSledgehammer
04-02-12, 17:13
I think they carry LMT stuff, it may be easier to have them swap the two.