PDA

View Full Version : NFA Trust Account Name?

5cary
03-31-12, 08:23
Should the NFA trust bank account checks be printed *exactly* as on the NFA Trust? For example, if the Trust name is "Joe Smith NFA Trust", should the checks say "Joe Smith NFA Trust" or is "Joe Smith NFA" good enough?

If the trust is in order, do the markings on the *checks* matter (as long as it's an account specific to the NFA trust)?

(I did a search for account names and found lots on trusts and accounts, but not names on the actual checks - my apologies if I missed something).

MAP
03-31-12, 08:55
My trust name in "MAP Trust". On my checks it has "MAP Trust" on the first line and my name as Trustee on the second line. ATF has no issue cashing the checks. ;)

Good luck,

Mike

MrSmitty
03-31-12, 09:01
I used a personal check when I sent in my form (form 1 on trust) and they had no issues with it.

wahoo95
03-31-12, 09:06
Though it is not a requirement I always suggest people make payment with a Money Order made payable from the Trust. No need to set up bank account ts and such unless you want to go thru the trouble/time. Personal checks work just done as well, though I recommend payment from the Trust directly.

Blame any mispellings on Autocorrect & Tapatalk

5cary
03-31-12, 09:15
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

So bottom line is the markings on the checks do not matter, correct? Given the info provided above, it would appear the case.

Thanks again.

motorolahamm
03-31-12, 09:54
how much trouble is it to set up a trust? and what do you have to do?

wahoo95
03-31-12, 09:58

Spending on the route you take its simple. Buy Willmaker software, insert CD into computer, follow directions to create Trust, have completed Trust notarized.

Blame any mispellings on Autocorrect & Tapatalk

5cary
03-31-12, 11:39

I went the attorney route. Found one in my local gun club that does them for members at a reduced fee (Maryland). Cost me $200. The attorney may or may not be needed. I like the added peace of mind. YMMV.

Eurodriver
03-31-12, 11:55
People love overcomplicating things don't they?

usmcvet
03-31-12, 14:53
Don't worry about the check. I have a trust and used personal checks for payment. You might want to put a note in the memo field in case things get separated.

CleverNickname
03-31-12, 18:26
Technically the transferor owes the transfer tax, not the transferee, so if the transferee is a trust it would be just as incorrect for the check to have the name of the trust on it as it would be for the check to have the name of a trustee on it.

If it still bothers you, an easy way to do it would be to send a USPS money order with the trust's name on the "From:" line. Opening a checking account just to get checks with the trust's name on it is waaaaaaay more effort than is needed.

But in reality, the ATF just wants the $200. They don't really care whose name is on the check as long as it clears.

Ryo
04-02-12, 03:28
I would use a personal check so you can track when it was cashed by the ATF. No need to have your check state your name.

If you do use a lawyer.. be sure to make sure the trust name isn't some god awful long name that GunDocx seems to like to use. It will cause a 2 week delay in your application. Otherwise you'll have to put that long trust name on both the Form 4 and on the certification of compliance.

CleverNickname
04-02-12, 12:26
...and a long trust name has to go on the gun if the trust form 1's anything. A long name may preclude engraving in a particular spot on the gun due to space limitations, and if you have someone else do the engraving they often charge by the character.

Nate5452
04-02-12, 15:37
Since you got your answer, I didn't want to hijack your thread until you received one.

My question is about trust location. I am currently stationed in Alabama in the military, I own a home in alabama, but my state of legal residence is in Pennsylvania and my drivers license is from PA and I pay PA States Taxes.

Should I be searching for a trust in Alabama or PA? And does it matter when my city/state get engraved on my lower and i move to a different state?

Thanls for the help,
Nate

MrSmitty
04-02-12, 17:29
Since you got your answer, I didn't want to hijack your thread until you received one.

My question is about trust location. I am currently stationed in Alabama in the military, I own a home in alabama, but my state of legal residence is in Pennsylvania and my drivers license is from PA and I pay PA States Taxes.

Should I be searching for a trust in Alabama or PA? And does it matter when my city/state get engraved on my lower and i move to a different state?

Thanls for the help,
Nate

I haven't seen this question come up, may pertain to me as well. Would the best bet be to register everything in PA since that is your legal state of residence and then send the form to the ATF notifying them that the weapon will be leaving the state and temporarily going to Alabama?