PDA

View Full Version : Beretta pistols and MIM parts

Slater
03-31-12, 11:50
I've heard on several occasions that, while the M9/M9A1/M92A1 series now contain a number of polymer (or polymer-coated metal) parts, they don't use any MIM components. If true, this would appear to be the exception to the trend in modern handgun manufacturing.

Is this based on the performance/cost of polymer vs MIM, a carryover from their military contract requirements, or some other factor?

BBossman
04-02-12, 17:19
This is what the mag release and trigger look like without their polymer coating...

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/IMAG0004.jpg

maddawg5777
04-02-12, 20:41
Not sure on what caused the to produce parts like this(weight or more reliable/less wear?) but so far I haven't seen an issue with their poly coated parts. My 92a1 is pushing only about 3k rounds through it and everything works as well as day 1. Now if we could ditch the self contained recoil spring/guide and go back to the m9/92fs type life would be good.

ShipWreck
04-03-12, 14:26
If you buy this part (out of stock at the moment), you can use a standard 92 guiderod on a 92A1

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=28392/Product/RECOIL-SPRING-GUIDE-ROD-WASHER-90TWO

Its just a small washer that you would manually put over the spring at the end of the guiderod. It would not be held captive anymore, but it will work.

You can also buy this: http://guiderod.com/

maddawg5777
04-03-12, 14:37
Thanks ship, last time I was on the Beretta forum there wasn't really a clear answer for this as it was too early in the A1's life. Well at least now I can buy a guide rod and spring cheaper than the captive unit Beretta sells. Thanks again.

ShipWreck
04-03-12, 14:47
No problem...

I see that the 92A1 and 90-Two guiderods are still like $51.40 for the entire assembly. RIdiculous.

I will order a steel, captive guiderod when I need one. Then, I can just put regular 92FS recoil springs on it (and they can be changed out)

maddawg5777
04-03-12, 15:20
Ya 50 bucks is ridiculous. When all you need is a 20 dollar rod 5 dollar spring and 3 dollar washer lol. Silly Beretta when will they learn.

deejai
04-03-12, 21:25
Does Beretta use any MIM parts on any of their handguns?

John Fritz
04-03-12, 21:36
... Now if we could ditch the self contained recoil spring/guide and go back to the m9/92fs type life would be good.
I'm curious, have you had a failure or bad experience with the guide rod/spring assy? It doesn't do much for me one way or the other but I've had no issues with my A1.

maddawg5777
04-03-12, 23:14
None what so ever its just way more expensive to replace. The assembly is around 50 bucks where if you switch to the old style guide rod its about 5-8 bucks for a spring.

ShipWreck
04-04-12, 06:46
Does Beretta use any MIM parts on any of their handguns?

I don't know. This gets asked periodically. Some say yes. Some say just the slide release. I don't know if anyone knows.

Even if they do, the small parts rarely break. This is a non issue, IMHO

John Fritz
04-04-12, 20:09
... The assembly is around 50 bucks where if you switch to the old style guide rod its about 5-8 bucks for a spring.
Ah. Good point.

Blankwaffe
04-05-12, 00:34
Not sure on what caused the to produce parts like this(weight or more reliable/less wear?) but so far I haven't seen an issue with their poly coated parts. My 92a1 is pushing only about 3k rounds through it and everything works as well as day 1. Now if we could ditch the self contained recoil spring/guide and go back to the m9/92fs type life would be good.

From what I read the polymer coated steel skeleton parts are faster to produce(reduced machine time) and ultimately do not suffer finish wear,as in parts finish wearing off leaving bright metal exposed,ultimately more durable.
It was also mentioned that the polymer skin is self lubricating.