PDA

View Full Version : DD or LMT Barrel for SBR?

chakup
03-31-12, 14:10
Working on re-doing my SBR to a little higher standard. I'm not asking necessarily which is better, but does one have any arguable benefits over the other? This will be used with an AAC M4-2K if that helps/matters on anything.

usmcvet
03-31-12, 14:50
Are you looking at the DD 10.3" and LMT 10.5"? Are you going to use a FSB or a rail and flip up sights? Lots of things will depend on how you want to set it up.

Both companies are GTG. I would buy complete LMT upper and call it a day.

keller
04-02-12, 17:13
I would go with DD because its hammer forged. LMT makes good stuff and have and have had lots of their guns/uppers.

Delemus
04-02-12, 19:45
What about noveske? shouldn't they be included in the options?

keller
04-02-12, 19:59
If your going to expand your options I'd also consider centurion arms.

chakup
04-02-12, 20:09
I'm mainly looking at LMT and DD for their quality and I can get deals on them. LowPro gasblock with rail covering. I'm considering 10.5" LMT and 11.5" DD (after reading the 10.5 vs 11.5 thread).

Packman73
04-02-12, 20:28
My two LMT 10.5"ers are super accurate. Can't go wrong with either I'm betting.

ccosby
04-02-12, 23:32
My two LMT 10.5"ers are super accurate. Can't go wrong with either I'm betting.

Yea I personally have an lmt on mine. I managed to get a bad barrel but lmt was quick to fix the issue and I've been happy.

OP since you are looking for one with a lo profile gas block the DD comes to mind as you can get it with one. LMT's is going to have a fsb unless you get the mrp upper. It isn't that you can't replace it or shave it, just that the DD has what you are looking for.

clynch
04-03-12, 07:54
Of those two options, I would go for Daniel Defense; I agree with keller that Centurion Arms is worth consideration also.

FYI both the DD and CA barrels are "government" profile / light under the hand guard, the LMT is a little fatter and noticeably heavier. I recently swapped out an (factory 10.5") LMT barrel for a Centurion Arms 10.5" barrel in my LMT SBR / Mk18 - the CA barrel is 5.2 ounces lighter than the LMT (roughly the same as an Aimpoint T1 in a DD mount!).

The LMT barrel has been fine for the several thousand rounds I put through it, but I prefer to shed weight wherever possible. I'm sure however that a hammer forged barrel from Centurion Arms or Daniel Defense is of higher quality / will exhibit better longevity than the button-rifled LMT barrel.

Hope this helps,
Clint

chakup
04-03-12, 10:41
Appreciate the input Clint. Question in response- would your opinion stay the same comparing the DD CHF barrel, to a 12" MRP barrel? (MRP's are Rock barrels if I recall correctly).

ETA: I do currently have an MRP 16" upper so another MRP barrel is a possibility, though the plan was a seperate dedicated upper.

ClearedHot
04-06-12, 02:10
I know the LMT 10.5 barrels have a .070 gas port diameter. What is the gas port diameter on the DD 10.3?