PDA

View Full Version : Unregister an NFA item?

Reagans Rascals
03-31-12, 15:45
I was wondering since weapons such as the KAC PDW and the HK MP7 aren't available to the civilian market, if it is possible for an 07/10 FFL/SOT to purchase those types of weapons on a demo letter or as an R&D item and then to permanently render the weapon semi-automatic only and then to essentially unregister it from the NFA registry or somehow transfer it to Title 1 status and therefore be capable of selling it to a civilian.

I understand the weapon in question, would be expensive to the point of unobtainable once available to civilians, but I'm just asking in hypothetical if it is indeed legal for a post-sample to be unregistered from the NFA registry as a post-sample once it is rendered a non-machine gun.

I would assume the Class 2 could render it semi and then re-serialize it as a custom weapon... and then offer it to the public as their own "creation"... is this correct?

Basically if I was an 07/10 FFL/SOT could I purchase an MP7, render it semi-automatic only, re-serialize it, and then offer it as a factory SBR to a civilian?

motoduck
03-31-12, 18:04
Once a machine gun always a machine gun. You also cannot remove serial #s.

halmbarte
03-31-12, 18:19
Just speculating:

The only possibility I see would be destroying the receiver, remove from NFA regulation, and then rebuild with a new, SA only receiver.

But I bet if you did too many of them ATF would shut you down. Faceless .gov minions dislike clever people exploiting loopholes in the system.

H

CarlosDJackal
04-01-12, 13:06
Most full-auto guns cannot be converted to semi-auto without extensive and complicated machining and such. I doubt it if the ATF would be willing to "un-register" a F/A firearm and let it be sold as anything else. Otherwise there would be a lot of converted M249s and M240s for sale as well as S/A open bolt guns would still be legal to manufacture ad sell.

I would just wait until a S/A version is made available and SBR that.

1911-A1
04-02-12, 11:25
In regards to the de-mil route, those Bren and DP-28, etc. parts kits that are sold online are full-auto weapons whose receivers have been de-milled to ATF specs and are then re-built as semi auto rifles. Essentially, the receivers are scrap metal that was once a machine gun, and the builder is making a new weapon out of that scrap.

I'm not sure how that would work with KAC PDWs, MP7s, M-16s or 249s, but I imagine it would not be cost-effective or practical to rebuild those destroyed receivers.

I'm sure there is some ATF regulation that I'm not aware of that further complicates the process as well.

KalashniKEV
04-02-12, 12:14
In regards to the de-mil route, those Bren and DP-28, etc. parts kits that are sold online are full-auto weapons whose receivers have been de-milled to ATF specs and are then re-built as semi auto rifles.

I'm sure there is some ATF regulation that I'm not aware of that further complicates the process as well.

Any parts kits de-milled overseas and then imported would also be subject to the barrel ban.