PDA

View Full Version : Considerations when choosing b/w an 11" or 13" rail for a 16" barrel

feedramp
03-31-12, 16:36
Beyond the obvious - that an 11" rail will weight slightly less and a 13" rail will extend further forward - what other considerations should be taken?

If you're mounting a bi-pod or a flashlight, would the 13" be a better choice to get the mounting point or the light source further forward?

Rails in question are free-floated.

El Cid
03-31-12, 16:42
Can't comment on the proper placement of a bipod. All I use mine for lately is taking photos of the rifle. I use the magazine as a monopod.

If you're willing/able to deal with the extra weight I say get the longer hand guard. I went with a 15" on mine. I have long arms so to get more control I prefer a longer hand guard. I also like that I don't have to stick the rifle so far through the 9 hole wall to rest the gun on it. I've seen shooters with shorter guards end up resting the bbl on the wall and wonder why they are missing.

GTifosi
03-31-12, 16:49
+1

The 'extra' real estate is nice to get stuff out from under your hands or forcing a grip change due to crowding.

Would suggest getting a tube or top rail only type that has the ability to accept rail add ons rather than going for a full on quad rail though.
Adding weight at points and amount you desire is one thing, but not being able to get rid of it is another.

MegademiC
04-01-12, 00:51
I decided on a longer rail for my next upper. It allows you to reach out further and still have stuff in front of your hand, and gives you more options for minimal weight gain(although it is at the end). A few things to consider:

How long are your arms? What do you want on it? How do you hold the rifle?

I hold out far and have long arms. By grabbing the barrel and seeing how far was comfortable, I found my hand would be at the end of an 11" rail, but I still need room for a light and/or possibly reaching further given the current situation.

Also, the longer rail covers more barrel, as said, to use as a support. IMO a barrel sticking out is wasted space as I dont have a use for a full sized rifle. Also, if you are going with one of the light weight tube forend with modular rail systems, your already ahead of the rest weight-wise and the leverage you can gain from utilizing the space outweighs the detriments from wieght.

All that said, If your pretty set on keeping everything at about 11" (if for example you have short arms) might as well go for the shorter one.

rob_s
04-01-12, 07:03
I would tend towards the longest rail you need to get your hand where you want it and whatever you need to mount forward of it, and no longer.

As mentioned, it may not be much weight added but it's added where every inch adds more felt weight than the inch before it.

I use a 10" DD M4 on my training/competing gun and am more than happy with it. I've thought of going up to an 11.0 or 12.0 because I want to mount the sling at the front 9 o'clock position but what I have is more than fine.

TACAV
04-01-12, 08:08
I have an 11" rail on my 16" setup. I have my light mounted in an offset Gear Sector light mount all the way forward. This allows me all the room I need to still get my hand as far forward on the rail as I need.

I suppose it will just come down to what is comfortable with you. Im a shorter guy with shorter arms/reach. If longer works better for you then go longer just be mindful of what rob_s with the weight.