PDA

View Full Version : 45 Degree Offset Iron Sights

ddnguyen9
03-31-12, 18:28
I am looking iron sights that are mounted at a 45 degree angle on my Colt M4 LE 6940. Any recommendations? I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two sets:

Surefire Rapid Transition Sights for $238.00 (http://www.surefire.com/dd-rts-set.html)

Knights Armament Sights for $281.25 (http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=96)

I am leaning towards the Surefire RTS. They look tough and looks like it can handle some abuse. Also they are the same setup to standard iron sights. I also like the Knight Armaments Sights due to it's slim and compact design. Anyone have one of these sets? Do you like them?

aml
04-15-12, 10:13
I have a set of each. I prefer the Surefire product. Always up. I prefer buis to always be in the up and ready position (dd rear, larue rear, etc), as I don't need eye relief for nods.

The knights angled buis are quality and exceptionally light, I just don't like having to flip up the sights.

My offsets are on an ar equipped with a nf 2.5-10. Transitioning to offset irons is faster than flipping up buis and using a qd mount to remove a magnified optic.

Vash1023
04-15-12, 10:24
i agree on the surefires.

ddnguyen9
04-15-12, 18:42
Thank you for the replies. I decided to purchase the Surefire RTS. The primary reason was having them fixed and not having the need to flip them up. Here are some photos:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/4fb97537.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/574afb71.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/d1286d73.jpg

RustedAce
04-16-12, 01:22
You know you dont have to put the KAC ones down, you could just ........leave them up.

ddnguyen9
04-16-12, 01:52
You know you dont have to put the KAC ones down, you could just ........leave them up.

And yes.... I have thought of that too. But if there is the possibility of leaving the KAC's down... I would probably leave them down. Plus the price of the Surefires are cheaper.

JMFM0911
04-23-12, 09:40
And yes.... I have thought of that too. But if there is the possibility of leaving the KAC's down... I would probably leave them down. Plus the price of the Surefires are cheaper.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif

rob_s
04-23-12, 10:01
I have been using the Surefire/Dueck Defense. My only complaint is that I don't see a reason for the rear sight to be an A2 and find it unnecessarily complicated. I'd prefer if it was an A1.

misanthropist
04-23-12, 20:22
Part of why I have not bought a set is that I am waiting and hoping for a much simpler version. An A1 would be nice.

Sotex
04-28-12, 10:37
Part of why I have not bought a set is that I am waiting and hoping for a much simpler version. An A1 would be nice.

How about these from XS?:

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights

misanthropist
04-28-12, 10:42
While that is definitely simpler, my experience with XS-type sights has not been positive. I'd prefer a simple aperture sight.

wahoo95
04-28-12, 10:44
I'd rather run a Micro dot in a 1 o'clock mount.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

misanthropist
04-28-12, 19:28
Definitely agree if you have the funds handy.

TehLlama
04-29-12, 01:45
The KAC 45 offsets not being visible with an LDI DBAL at 12:00 is the only reason I don't have a set of those already.
The A2 rear on the Dueck's looks like it would be phenomenal for competition shooting, but since mine would be backing up a low powered variable or a TA31 then I'd prefer to have the more open rear aperture, and less available things for me to screw up.

rob_s
04-29-12, 03:27
What is more open than an A2 aperture?

VooDoo6Actual
04-29-12, 11:28
Using KAC Offset's on my LMT MWS.

the snizzit....

Pros: minamalistic, less weight, fold down & don't get caught on gear or crap, easy to locate tactilely, good sight picture etc.

Cons: None known @ this time.

Sotex
05-06-12, 07:44

Uh...an express rear? :dirol:

rob_s
05-06-12, 07:45
Uh...an express rear? :dirol:

People are still using those?

Sotex
05-08-12, 07:26
I would imagine that, for the distances involved in this particular application, that speed would trump finite accuracy.
Not ideal as a primary sighting system, but more than adequate for extreme close quarters, and way less busy that a fully-functional A2 rear. Positioned near the junction of the receiver/handguard, that rear aperture is no longer a ghost ring.
Think of them like the low profile rifle sights on a Remington 870.....good enough for minute-of-felon.

d90king
05-08-12, 08:03
Just curios why you didn't simply use the RMR on an offset mount as your back up/primary 1X? It would also allow you to reduce the HOB issue with that setup. Even if you neglect proper battery maintenance the window is a more than an adequate aiming reference. Three seems a bit much, but to each his own I guess.

I am picking up a few sets of the KAC's after getting a chance to run them a couple weeks back. They are light, allow you to fold them down so they don't get caught on your gear and I like the rear app.

Only thing I don't care for is the usual KAC pricing. Almost a grand for a few sets of BUIS is a bit much.

TehLlama
05-09-12, 01:27

Derp... I did a bad job of explaining. The open A2 aperture is fine for close up stuff, but I find that aperture useless past 25 yards, but it's been a while since I had an M16A2.
The smaller aperture seems almost too tiny, and for me something just tighter than the KAC <300m flip up sight is just the right size, and the KAC offsets seem to be just that, but I'm envisioning these as a niche for either optic down, or needing to engage a closer target with a variable scope cranked all the way up and transitioning to irons is faster.

Still might end up with one of each.

Another thought occurred to me while dicking around with this - how hard would it be to mount an RMR off the ACOG/Scope tube, at roughly 4:00 (to place it where it would otherwise be with offsets), it would even be a more upright placement for some.

rob_s
05-09-12, 03:55
Derp... I did a bad job of explaining. The open A2 aperture is fine for close up stuff, but I find that aperture useless past 25 yards, but it's been a while since I had an M16A2.
The smaller aperture seems almost too tiny, and for me something just tighter than the KAC <300m flip up sight is just the right size, and the KAC offsets seem to be just that, but I'm envisioning these as a niche for either optic down, or needing to engage a closer target with a variable scope cranked all the way up and transitioning to irons is faster.

Still might end up with one of each.

Another thought occurred to me while dicking around with this - how hard would it be to mount an RMR off the ACOG/Scope tube, at roughly 4:00 (to place it where it would otherwise be with offsets), it would even be a more upright placement for some.

There's a bunch of mounts and the like to offset various small RDS. Personally I like the lighter weight of the offset irons, and would like it more if the rear was an A1.