PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mags dropping out after locked?

buckjay
03-31-12, 23:15
I finally built up my AXTS A-DAC-F lower and hit the range today. I noticed with USGI mags (Okay Industry mags purchased new in the last 6 months), the mags would occasionally drop out while I was shooting. I'm certain they were locked in as I'd give it a good tug and then after a few rounds they'd just drop out. I tried tightening the mag catch but it did not help.

Got home and figured out if I press the mag against side of the magwell opposite to the mag catch and pull down I can yank the mags out after insuring they're properly seated. I've tried a few different mag catch springs (the AXTS mag catch spring is proprietary) however can't seem to get my USGI mags to lock in there.

Could this be an issue with the mag catch, too large of a mag well, or magazine related? I tried multiple USGI mags (Okay, D&H) and they all seem to have this problem. Mag catch used was from a new Daniel Defense LPK.

For what its worth, my first AXTS A-DAC-F lower would not drop PMAGs freely, I sent it back and after inspecting it and concluding it could not be fixed they sent me a new lower (the current one).

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

ETA:

I have since determined that it was indeed the mag catch that was causing the issue

I went down to the range today and after asking a few guys (you don't know how akward it is to ask someone if they're willing to let you quickly borrow their mag catch until you do it ) I finally found a guy that was willing to help me troubleshoot. The guy had a DEL-TON rifle, but the mag catch worked great and eliminated my issue.

I'll be ordering a new mag catch now - thanks for the help fellas.

Robb Jensen
03-31-12, 23:20
Is the mag catch button and threaded portion of the actual mag catch flush?

buckjay
03-31-12, 23:23
Yes, I always turn the mag catch until I can feel the bolt slightly protrude past the mag release button and then I back it off one.

When I tightened it at the range I could feel the hump of mag catch bolt sticking past the mag release button.

Iraqgunz
03-31-12, 23:26
My guess is that the lower is somehow out of spec. Especially if you know the parts kit is good.

The other clue would be that you have to return one previously that was too tight.

buckjay
03-31-12, 23:30
That would be a major disappointment as I've only heard good things about AXTS.

Is there any way to verify the mag catch is in spec without purchasing a new one and trying it?

FWIW, my AXTS AX556 which I purchased at the same time has treated me very well. I've put around 2.5K rounds through it and have had zero issues with multiple uppers and a wide array of magazines.

Hmac
04-01-12, 06:30
The first thing I'd do it swap out the mag catch for the one from your other rifle.

Iraqgunz
04-01-12, 06:52
The first rule of troubleshooting is the obvious. You are correct. I would use another mag release (complete) from another weapon that is known to work.

If the problem persists then you can assume it is a lower issue. I would also take that mag catch assembly and put into the other lower to see what happens.

The first thing I'd do it swap out the mag catch for the one from your other rifle.

rob_s
04-01-12, 06:57
The first rule of troubleshooting is the obvious. You are correct. I would use another mag release (complete) from another weapon that is known to work.

If the problem persists then you can assume it is a lower issue. I would also take that mag catch assembly and put into the other lower to see what happens.

Yep. Was going to post the exact same thing. Swap the questionable part between a known-good gun. I would not use the other AXTS lower as it's billet and you want to keep like systems as much as possible.

Find another forged lower that works and swap the mag catch assembly between the two guns. While you have them both out inspect both of them side-by-side (without confusing which is which) to check for anomalies.

Robb Jensen
04-01-12, 08:53
Are you absolutely certain that the receiver has the AXTS (it's longer) mag catch button and the AXTS (it's shorter) mag catch spring? If you mix up thier spring and used a USGI standard style button you could cause the mag catch to not have enough tension.

rob_s
04-01-12, 08:54
Are you absolutely certain that the receiver has the AXTS (it's longer) mag catch button and the AXTS (it's shorter) mag catch spring? If you mix up thier spring and used a USGI standard style button you could cause the mag catch to not have enough tension.

I thought the catch and spring were the same on the A-DAC-F, no? If not, then ignore what I and IG posted above.

ETA:
does look like the button has to be longer per here
https://axtsweapons.com/products/A-DAC-F

Robb Jensen
04-01-12, 10:15
I thought the catch and spring were the same on the A-DAC-F, no? If not, then ignore what I and IG posted above.

ETA:
does look like the button has to be longer per here
https://axtsweapons.com/products/A-DAC-F

With my two forged AXTS lowers the mag catch buttons are longer and the mag catch spring is shorter. I think thier different on the billet ambi AXTS lower. When I had the billet one for T&E I never removed the mag catch.

RobS I'll see if I can get a picture of one out of one my lower next to a standard USGI style one. I think they had to make it longer to get it in the right spot so that it pushes up on the drive rod which then pushes up on their bolt catch. Their bolt catch is a little different too.

buckjay
04-01-12, 18:07
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't have any normal mag catches to swap it out with as I only have the two AXTS lowers at the moment. I was hoping to get some insight before buying a new one as I did not want to wait for it to get shipped and then find out it was the lower that was out of spec.

I have since determined that it was indeed the mag catch that was causing the issue

I went down to the range today and after asking a few guys (you don't know how akward it is to ask someone if they're willing to let you quickly borrow their mag catch until you do it :help:) I finally found a guy that was willing to help me troubleshoot. The guy had a DEL-TON rifle, but the mag catch worked great and eliminated my issue.

I'll be ordering a new mag catch now - thanks for the help fellas.

buckjay
04-01-12, 18:09
With my two forged AXTS lowers the mag catch buttons are longer and the mag catch spring is shorter. I think thier different on the billet ambi AXTS lower. When I had the billet one for T&E I never removed the mag catch.

RobS I'll see if I can get a picture of one out of one my lower next to a standard USGI style one. I think they had to make it longer to get it in the right spot so that it pushes up on the drive rod which then pushes up on their bolt catch. Their bolt catch is a little different too.

Yep, you're right. The AXTS mag release button on their forged lowers is slightly longer then the normal one. The mag release spring has 6 coils vs I believe 8 or 9 coils on the normal springs too.