PDA

View Full Version : Traded my Gen 3 G19 for a M&P 9

murphy j
03-31-12, 23:45
I broke down today and traded in my Gen 3 G19 (myk prefix) on an M&P 9. The G19 has been flawless for well over 1500 rds and was an accurate shooter, but I just couldn't get the hang of staying consistent in my shooting with it. I come from a 1911 background and am far from being a pistolero, but I found myself getting sloppy too early in my shooting sessions and was having problems with the gun working it's way out of my hands as I was shooting, no matter how hard I tried to maintain proper technique. I'm hoping the M&Ps grip angle and style will help me in correcting some of this, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think.

tacti-cool
04-01-12, 01:46
I think it was a bad call to trade in your G19. IMO its the best 9mm ever. There are soooo many holsters,22lr kits etc.. for it.
I feel people tend to jump around on guns too much. Buy a gun, shoot it a lot. keep it.. shoot it more.:suicide2:

glen
04-01-12, 03:05
I broke down today and traded in my Gen 3 G19 (myk prefix) on an M&P 9. The G19 has been flawless for well over 1500 rds and was an accurate shooter, but I just couldn't get the hang of staying consistent in my shooting with it. I come from a 1911 background and am far from being a pistolero, but I found myself getting sloppy too early in my shooting sessions and was having problems with the gun working it's way out of my hands as I was shooting, no matter how hard I tried to maintain proper technique. I'm hoping the M&Ps grip angle and style will help me in correcting some of this, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think.

While I am partial to Glocks, I dont really see anything wrong with you trying out the M&P. You shot 1500 rounds before doing it, so it seems you gave it a fair shake. And it's not as if you traded it in for a High Point, the Smith is a good to go platform.

Hogsgunwild
04-01-12, 05:59
Some of us never fully mesh with the Glock's ergonomics. I never minded the grip angle as many complain about and I went back and forth between Glocks and 1911s since 1991. My biggest dislike was that I never felt that I shot the platform as consistently as some other platforms. This applied mostly to the G26/27 and G19/23 as I never had any issues with my G20 or G35. The G35 felt a bit awkward but it was very accurate and consistent for me.

Several years ago I got rid of all of my Glocks. I immediately had separation anxiety and ran out and bought another G23. I still take it to the range several times a year to see if we can make it work together. I even took it to a training class recently. Worked great for that course although it was all close range work. My 25 yard work with the Glock still lacks the consistency that I get out of my 1911s, H&Ks and M&Ps. No reason to fight it forever. Some platforms just work better for each of us than others. I am trying to standardize with all M&Ps as they seem to offer the most features that work for me.
I hope the M&P works well for you.

turbo38gn
04-01-12, 07:39

I love my M&P's, I have 5 of them now with plans for more. I also own 1911's and feel almost guilty for preferring to shoot my M&P's more. I carry a few of my 1911's on occassion, but my primary ccw has been my M&P40c. I just picked up another M&P9c, planning to carry it more, it has night sights and some pretty aggressive grip stipeling. I'll get some intensive training with this one for a while and get myself comfy with it but know I have tried a few glocks and still prefer my M&P's. Heck I just got a LGS fix friday after work, most of the handguns were packed up and headed to a gun show but there were still quite a few Glocks in the case, so I decide to fondle a few and no matter what I tried, just did not feel remotely comfy with them in hand. I have big hands, the compact frame felt too small and the full size frame felt too big and bulky... shoot the heck out of that M&P and I'm sure you'll find yourself a keeper.

Sam
04-01-12, 07:46
Congratulations. Once an open minded glock owner is introduced to the better balanced and better ergonomics of the M&P, he/she usually either trade for the M&P or add one to their collection.

munch520
04-01-12, 07:52
I think it was a bad call to trade in your G19. IMO its the best 9mm ever. There are soooo many holsters,22lr kits etc.. for it.
I feel people tend to jump around on guns too much. Buy a gun, shoot it a lot. keep it.. shoot it more.:suicide2:

So one is to...

1. Choose based on accessory availability
And
2. Shoot and keep the first handgun purchased without question

Come on :blink:

OP, good job getting into something you find more appealing. If its comfortable for you and your preferences , you're more apt to shoot it more and establish some proficiency.

murphy j
04-01-12, 08:36
I feel a little better about having made this trade in now after hearing what you guys are saying. While I was confident that I needed to give the M&P a try, there's a bit of paranoia about it simply because the Glock is such a reliable and proven pistol. It wasn't easy for me to make this switch and I've debated on it for awhile. The final straw for me was when out shooting the other day with a friend he had me try out his new to him 1911. It is built on a WWII Remington Rand. I had already put several hundred rounds downrange with the Glock and was not happy with my performance and the issues with the grip I was having when he comes over and says 'try this'. I put one mag downrange and it was better than the several hundred i'd shot with the Glock with none of the issues I'd had. I said to myself that now was not the time to get back into the custom 1911 game, but a polymer gun with 1911-esque ergos might be in order.

windellmc
04-01-12, 09:50
The magic in a 1911 is in the trigger. The stock M&P does not have that trigger. I have also noticed the G17 fits my hand differently than the G19.

edit: Make sure and take all the backstraps to the range when you shoot the M&P. I found the small and medium were more comfortable but the large worked better for me despite it being the least comfortable.

Whtwolf14
04-01-12, 10:06
Congrats!!

I went the other way I suppose. I picked up a M&P9c in trade for one of my Glocks and don't like it all that much. I even put a Apex DCAEK/Ram kit in it and still don't care for it. Something about the trigger and I aren't bonding. So I'll most likely trade it for a G26.

Good luck...

djmorris
04-01-12, 10:18

Not really, my friend.

The gen 2/3 Glock 19 is a legendary firearm and certainly one of the better 9mm's but it's not the end all; hence the price tag. For $499, yes the G19 has certainly proven to be one of the best deals on the market but times are changing. Glocks no longer have their legendary reliability, at least for the time being. It's not as if the OP traded his Glock for a Hi-Point. What makes the Glock better than the M&P, realistically? Is it because you own one? HK, old Sig, and now probably Walther are all made to a higher standard than a Glock.

I prefer Glock over M&P but I don't believe for a second that the Glock is somehow better. Shit, they are both having a hard time with QC and bad parts it seems like.

Largely the same gun, different ergos. That's my take on it.

munch520
04-01-12, 10:43
I feel a little better about having made this trade in now after hearing what you guys are saying. While I was confident that I needed to give the M&P a try, there's a bit of paranoia about it simply because the Glock is such a reliable and proven pistol. It wasn't easy for me to make this switch and I've debated on it for awhile. The final straw for me was when out shooting the other day with a friend he had me try out his new to him 1911. It is built on a WWII Remington Rand. I had already put several hundred rounds downrange with the Glock and was not happy with my performance and the issues with the grip I was having when he comes over and says 'try this'. I put one mag downrange and it was better than the several hundred i'd shot with the Glock with none of the issues I'd had. I said to myself that now was not the time to get back into the custom 1911 game, but a polymer gun with 1911-esque ergos might be in order.

If you haven't already, look at Apex for trigger stuff. I shot a long slide M&P that had an Apex duty enhancement kit and it was a vast improvement over the stock trigger. It'll never be a 1911 trigger, but no one should expect Glock, M&P, HK, etc to come close.

murphy j
04-01-12, 11:58
If you haven't already, look at Apex for trigger stuff. I shot a long slide M&P that had an Apex duty enhancement kit and it was a vast improvement over the stock trigger. It'll never be a 1911 trigger, but no one should expect Glock, M&P, HK, etc to come close.

No worries here. I know that there's nothing like a 1911 trigger and don't expect one. There's a guy local to me that does a fantastic trigger job on both Glocks and M&Ps. I was in his shop last year and a competitive shooter I was talking to in there let me feel the trigger on hers that he did. It was fantastic. I believe it's the ergos that are throwing me off, not the trigger. Same competitive shooter started on 1911s, then went to Glocks, then back to 1911s, then to the M&P. She said the M&P is the best of both worlds for her.

varoadking
04-01-12, 12:45
I think it was a bad call to trade in your G19. IMO its the best 9mm ever.

I guess he should have checked with you first...

chuckman
04-01-12, 12:49
My one cent (I lost a cent because of the economy): I had Glocks, got rid of them, got M&Ps, shot them OK, really liked the ergo's, liked Glock better, got rid of M&Ps, went back to Glock. It shoots better for me. I liked the M&P and have nothing bad to say about it. I don't shoot anything as well as a 1911, though. You went with what works best for you, you made a wise decision.

murphy j
04-01-12, 12:59
You went with what works best for you, you made a wise decision.

I don't know if it works best yet, but it felt better when held. I needed to do something as performance and comfort with the weapon were not improving. Hopefully I'll be able to get out with it next weekend and get some rounds downrange.

wingspar
04-01-12, 15:24
I have a G17 and wanted another 9mm handgun so that my other half and I could both shoot the same caliber at the same time. We rented a bunch of guns one day. We took my G17 and shot it along side a G19 and an M&P 9. We both fell in love with the G19. The M&P 9 didn’t feel that good in my hands or hers, and it seemed to jump around in my hands. Both are heavily used range guns, but the G19 felt better, hands down. Next time we rented, we both came to the same conclusion. G19. It’s a matter of Different Stokes for Different Folks, or as is more common in the forums. YMMV.

Since those range trips I have added a second G17 to my Glocks. The G19 is still on the must have list. I’ve written the M&P off, both in 9mm and .40.

Beat Trash
04-01-12, 15:30
A Glock 19 gen3 is an excellent gun. But if it doesn't work for you, then you made the right choice to switch to a platform that does.

At the end of the day, if you can't effectively put rounds on target, then it doesn't matter much how the gun performs for me or anyone else.

murphy j
04-01-12, 15:32
it seemed to jump around in my hands.

This was a regular problem I had with the G19. I'm glad that the G19 works well for you and the missus. It is a good gun in the right hands, but it wasn't right for me or I wasn't right for it:sad:

wingspar
04-01-12, 15:38
This was a regular problem I had with the G19. I'm glad that the G19 works well for you and the missus. It is a good gun in the right hands, but it wasn't right for me or I wasn't right for it:sad:

Exactly. If you can rent before you shoot, I doubt there is anyone who would not recommend that you shoot before you buy. I really wanted an M&P 9 and was almost ready to order one, then I got the chance to shoot one, and that was the end of that. Would I shoot one again? Absolutely. Just not right for us to buy.

sarge1967
04-01-12, 17:46
I understand your feelings about the Glock. I just traded my G23 for a PPQ in .40 a few months back after buying my wife a PPQ in 9mm, shooting it and loving it.

I am actually looking at a M&P 40 because I really like the ergos of the pistol and want a full sized pistol for competition.

JHC
04-01-12, 18:35
Doesn't really matter. You have a new pistol. A reliable G19 is on the market for someone else. It's all good.

LMT42
04-01-12, 21:38
Exactly. If you can rent before you shoot, I doubt there is anyone who would not recommend that you shoot before you buy. I really wanted an M&P 9 and was almost ready to order one, then I got the chance to shoot one, and that was the end of that. Would I shoot one again? Absolutely. Just not right for us to buy.

I sold my CZ Compact and am in the market for a high capacity 9mm. I've never liked Glocks due to all the fanboys, but tonight I rented a G19 and a PPQ and compared them head to head. After all the good things I've heard about the PPQ, I expected it to win hands down. However, perhaps because I'm a novice shooter, I didn't like the sight picture of the PPQ. The higher bore axis, triangular slide, and sights, all gave the illusion of the gun sitting far too high in my hand. Also, the Glock fit my hand better even though the PPQ felt more ergonomic - go figure. Point being, we all have to shoot various firearms and determine which feels/works best for us.

KACVESKE
04-02-12, 12:30
I love my g19, I am looking to replace my g34 with a fullsize M&P9mm... I have a M&P45 and love it. AT the end of the day, red dawn, SHTF, I would take the g19 all day

Striker
04-02-12, 17:00

It's not necessarily a bad trade off, but I don't think grip angle is the problem. Did you try stippling the grip or a grip sleeve to make the gun easier to hang on to? I run a grip sleeve on my Glock. For me, it's easier to keep a firm grip with one. I suspect I would do the same with the M&P because that grip is a little too slick for my liking as well.

murphy j
04-02-12, 22:30
It's not necessarily a bad trade off, but I don't think grip angle is the problem. Did you try stippling the grip or a grip sleeve to make the gun easier to hang on to? I run a grip sleeve on my Glock. For me, it's easier to keep a firm grip with one. I suspect I would do the same with the M&P because that grip is a little too slick for my liking as well.

I thought about stippling it, but was concerned that if that didn't work for me that I'd get even less for it if I decided to part with it. Around here the market is weak for that sort of thing. As for the grip sleeve, well I briefly considered it, but then wrote it off for some reason. I'm gonna give the M&P an honest shot in stock condition also, but if that doesn't work out for me then I may just go back to 1911s.

Striker
04-03-12, 00:05
I thought about stippling it, but was concerned that if that didn't work for me that I'd get even less for it if I decided to part with it. Around here the market is weak for that sort of thing. As for the grip sleeve, well I briefly considered it, but then wrote it off for some reason. I'm gonna give the M&P an honest shot in stock condition also, but if that doesn't work out for me then I may just go back to 1911s.

Even if it's a too slick in stock condition, a grip sleeve will tell you that's the problem, the cost is like $12.00 and it isn't permanent. If the gun moves around in your hand too much, I would recommend that you at least try it before going back to 1911s and if I may ask, if you really like 1911s, why didn't you just stay with them?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-03-12, 02:19
If a pistol doesnt "feel" right to me, then I generally wont trust myself with it enough to carry it. I dont own any pistols I wont carry.

The OP traded a good 9mm for a good 9mm. If the MP works better for him, then all is good. If not, then its probably a training issue.

murphy j
04-03-12, 08:40
if I may ask, if you really like 1911s, why didn't you just stay with them?

You may ask and it's simple really. Time and money. I no longer have much of either to spare and wanted something that was plug n play for the most part. Also, my 1911 guy is moving to Sturgis to work as a gunsmith for Irv Stone at Bar Sto. I knew the move was coming well over a year ago and decided it would be better if I had a %100 go to pistol in 9mm or 45. I settled on 9mm after comparing the ballistics when using good hollowpoint ammo and cost associated with practice ammo. I think the Glock is a great go to gun, but it just wasn't working out as well as I wanted. I would have no reservations about running one if need be, but decided to see if the M&P was more suited to me.

turbo38gn
04-03-12, 17:47
let's go, shoot it up and let us know what you think..

WillBrink
04-03-12, 18:05
I'm hoping the M&Ps grip angle and style will help me in correcting some of this, but I'm wondering what some of you guys think.

The M&P was the first polymer wonder pistol that finally (including yours truly) has had many a shooter giving up their beloved 1911s. Some highly respected BTDT gents are on that list, so you're in good company there.

packinaglock
04-03-12, 18:32
I have 7 Glocks including the G19, although I won't abandon my Glocks. I have added two S&W M&P's to my safe in the last year, a .40c and a9c. I'm shopping around for a full sized now, I'm not sure if a .40 or a 9mm yet though. The M&P's are good pistols.

turbo38gn
04-03-12, 18:46
I have 7 Glocks including the G19, although I won't abandon my Glocks. I have added two S&W M&P's to my safe in the last year, a .40c and a9c. I'm shopping around for a full sized now, I'm not sure if a .40 or a 9mm yet though. The M&P's are good pistols.

I'd suggest the 40fs, you have the option of buying a 357 sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel for the 40fs frame. 3 guns for the price of 1.5 guns

murphy j
04-03-12, 18:57
let's go, shoot it up and let us know what you think..

Give me a chance will you :)LOL. I just picked it up from the FFl(apparently the ATF decided they still like me) and I'm chomping at the bit to get rounds downrange, but don't know when I'll be able :( I'll post up about my experience as soon as I do though.

murphy j
04-03-12, 19:03
The M&P was the first polymer wonder pistol that finally (including yours truly) has had many a shooter giving up their beloved 1911s. Some highly respected BTDT gents are on that list, so you're in good company there.

Will, I chose poor wording in regards to my post you quoted, but it is my hope that the M&Ps ergonomics are similar enough to a 1911 that muscle memory will help facilitate the transition.

technician
04-03-12, 20:11
I'd suggest the 40fs, you have the option of buying a 357 sig barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel for the 40fs frame. 3 guns for the price of 1.5 guns

S&W OEM 9MM barrel works.

MegademiC
04-04-12, 01:26
OP, you shot 1500rounds, not a huge amount, but enough to tell(since you have experience) if its gonna work for you. If you shoot the m&P better, it was a good trade. You "dun good" and changed due to performance, not feel. You gotta be a good pistol shooter, then pick a platform. If one works better than another with no tradeoffs, I say go for it.

murphy j
04-04-12, 21:07
OP, you shot 1500rounds, not a huge amount, but enough to tell(since you have experience) if its gonna work for you. If you shoot the m&P better, it was a good trade. You "dun good" and changed due to performance, not feel. You gotta be a good pistol shooter, then pick a platform. If one works better than another with no tradeoffs, I say go for it.

The count may be a bit higher, but 1500 was the amount I could actually confirm. I consider myself an ok pistol shooter. Nowhere near the caliber of many of the members here and the guy who gave me instruction.

On another note, I appreciate everyones feedback. It's probably going to be a couple weeks before I can get out and shoot, but until then I'll be practicing with dry fire.

Striker
04-04-12, 21:34
Will, I chose poor wording in regards to my post you quoted, but it is my hope that the M&Ps ergonomics are similar enough to a 1911 that muscle memory will help facilitate the transition.

Hilton Yam jumps back and fourth between a 1911 and an M&P 9 w/thumb safety. He says for 1911 guys, it's a good training pistol. With the TS, similar enough to the 1911 to work. Take a look. http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2012/01/60-days-with-m-9-aka-confessions-of.html

murphy j
04-04-12, 21:39
Hilton Yam jumps back and fourth between a 1911 and an M&P 9 w/thumb safety. He says for 1911 guys, it's a good training pistol. With the TS, similar enough to the 1911 to work. Take a look. http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/2012/01/60-days-with-m-9-aka-confessions-of.html

Thanks for the link. Pretty good read. Unfortunately I wasn't able to procure one with the TS. They're pretty much nonexistent in these parts in stock, unless it's a 45. If this gun suits me then one with a TS might be next.

Frailer
04-04-12, 21:45
...I've never liked Glocks due to all the fanboys, but tonight I rented a G19 and a PPQ and compared them head to head. After all the good things I've heard about the PPQ, I expected it to win hands down. However, perhaps because I'm a novice shooter, I didn't like the sight picture of the PPQ. The higher bore axis, triangular slide, and sights, all gave the illusion of the gun sitting far too high in my hand. Also, the Glock fit my hand better even though the PPQ felt more ergonomic - go figure. Point being, we all have to shoot various firearms and determine which feels/works best for us.

We all need a periodic reminder that their are good and bad reasons to like/hate something. When egos get involved, bad **** happens.

Humility is good for the soul.

tacti-cool
04-06-12, 15:44

I thought he typed 150 rounds.. lol.. my bad.
1500 is a good amount to judge the gun. do what you want with it. :dance3:

Dog Tags
04-09-12, 17:38
It's kind of funny because I ditched my M&P9 for a G19 and since have moved onto a G17. It's kind of hard for me now because I just shot my buddy's M&P9 (only 3 rounds) and my grouping was great. Now my groupings are good with my G17 but I find myself wondering...

It's also tough because one of my favorite shoots uses a M&P (Mr. Lamb) but I took a class with Tigerswan and was drawn to glocks. The only thing I wonder about is, does a M&P feel like it has less kick than the glock or just me?

The other thing I've realized is that you can never have enough guns and most people "float" around between guns.

windellmc
04-09-12, 20:19
I think the M&P shoots softer than the Gen 4 Glock, but it is not a huge difference.