PDA

View Full Version : .300blk 7-9" bbls

QuietShootr
04-01-12, 21:18
Looks like Noveske is out. I can't tell if the AAC barrels are in stock or not, and I'm wary of CMMG. Any other suggestions?

Also - why are you guys marking your magazines? I thought they were just standard 5.56 magazines? Or are you trying to keep from accidentally loading 5.56 into a .300 gun?

ack495
04-01-12, 21:42
Check out grimreapertactical.com. Thats who I used for my 9" barrel. Awesome work and customer service.

For why people mark their mags is if its PMAGS, then some have to do a modification to the side ribs to get the .300BLK to function properly, so they mark them to identify them. The problem doesn't exist with standard GI mags. Other than that I wouldn't get why to mark them. The ammo is so different I wouldn't know how one could confuse them while shooting.

Javelin
04-01-12, 22:47
I run a 10.5" Noveske and 8" Noveske in 300BLK.

I run Pmags without modification.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably just have grabbed the 8" as it is so damn sexy and fun to shoot.

:D

M4Fundi
04-02-12, 02:20
I run a 10.5" Noveske and 8" Noveske in 300BLK.

I run Pmags without modification.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably just have grabbed the 8" as it is so damn sexy and fun to shoot.

Tell us more.......please:)

fastfive0
04-02-12, 03:02
I have a 16" cmmg and 10" noveske both have been very reliable and I would recommend either! If you can go the sbr/pistol route I would say get the shortest one you can find! I wanted an 8" noveske but only could find the 10" so I jumped on it lol

Javelin
04-02-12, 03:16
Tell us more.......please:)

Absolutely.

I think my 8" Noveske 300BLK weighs in under 5lbs with the Noveske TRX (Troy) rails. It's basically a pistol.

I threw an AAC Breakout mount on it so I can run my 762SD suppressor. Overall really great little gun.

My 10.5" has the standard Noveske rails and it is a mirror of my 10.5" 5.56 Noveske. I would say that I like it a lot and scoped it w/ an Accupoint 1-4x and for what it is it's great.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2861/noveske3001edited.jpg

But if I had to choose I would take my Noveske 8" w/ TRX rails any day of the week (that barrel is 8"... think about it - a Dollar bill practically covers that entire rail & barrel). It's so light you can hold it out with one hand and shoot it like a pistol if you wish (think MP5 small). If you're considering a 300BLK then I don't think there is much of a decision on which barrel length. This little gun Noveske put together is pure sex.

QuietShootr
04-02-12, 09:40
Absolutely.

I think my 8" Noveske 300BLK weighs in under 5lbs with the Noveske TRX (Troy) rails. It's basically a pistol.

I threw an AAC Breakout mount on it so I can run my 762SD suppressor. Overall really great little gun.

My 10.5" has the standard Noveske rails and it is a mirror of my 10.5" 5.56 Noveske. I would say that I like it a lot and scoped it w/ an Accupoint 1-4x and for what it is it's great.

But if I had to choose I would take my Noveske 8" w/ TRX rails any day of the week (that barrel is 8"... think about it - a Dollar bill practically covers that entire rail & barrel). It's so light you can hold it out with one hand and shoot it like a pistol if you wish (think MP5 small). If you're considering a 300BLK then I don't think there is much of a decision on which barrel length. This little gun Noveske put together is pure sex.

I may just spring for that upper.

M4Fundi
04-02-12, 17:51
Absolutely.

Thanks Javelin! Really great looking little sticks! I have a few months to wait for stamp, but have been weighing the 8-10" lengths for pig and HD use.

wileecoyote
04-06-12, 00:02
Absolutely.

What's it like to shoot unsurpressed? Too punishing?

Javelin
04-06-12, 01:15
What's it like to shoot unsurpressed? Too punishing?

Naw. With that AAC break it feels like my 10.5" 5.56

It does have some serious blast concussion though. Like the kind you (and everyone else around you) can feel in your back molars. If you want some attention (or be generally hated) just throw some unsuppressed 115gr or 147gr down the pipe at the range and no one will want to be next to you.

rob_s
04-06-12, 06:36
Looks like Noveske is out. I can't tell if the AAC barrels are in stock or not, and I'm wary of CMMG. Any other suggestions?

If you're getting the complete upper, I think the 9" AAC with the new, longer, KAC handguard makes a lot of sense. If not, and you're assembling your own upper from a variety of parts, I think the 8" barrels are the best choice. I want as small a gap as possible between the muzzle-end of the handguard and the back-end of the suppressor, and I believe Noveske chose their barrel lengths to match readily available handguard lengths.

FWIW, PSA appears to be threatening to release a chrome-lined 8" barrel, and hammer-forged to boot for those that like that kind of thing. If you're in no hurry, I'd stand easy and see how that pans out. Pending price, of course.

Iraqgunz
04-06-12, 07:51
I really wish that AAC would pin the gas block like Noveske does. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their barrels if they did.

rob_s
04-06-12, 08:00
I really wish that AAC would pin the gas block like Noveske does. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their barrels if they did.

I had to send "mine" back so I don't have it here to look at, but I didn't even notice that. Going to dig for a photo and see if I can tell one way or the other. I wonder if it's press-fit like the KAC?

snackgunner
04-06-12, 08:04
Javelin that noveske 300blk with the troy trx look great. But just another option for you guys....maybe wait it out for a noveske in 300blk with the new NSR rail. I'm sure its going to look awesome.

QuietShootr
04-06-12, 09:04
I'd really like if BCM made a chrome-lined HF 7-9" of some kind.

rob_s
04-06-12, 09:11
I'd really like if BCM made a chrome-lined HF 7-9" of some kind.

I suspect that is going to be WAY out, if at all.

I am sorry to see that the PSA 16" 300 barrel (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/psa-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-300-aac-barrel.html) is $280 while the 16" 5.56 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/psa-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-m4a1-mp-barrel.html) is only $220.

The Noveske 8" (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-8-300&cat=168&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) is $350, and I'm sure it's "worth it', but I don't want to spend $300 for a stainless barrel for 300 BLK.

QuietShootr
04-06-12, 09:13
I suspect that is going to be WAY out, if at all.

I am sorry to see that the PSA 16" 300 barrel (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/psa-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-300-aac-barrel.html) is $280 while the 16" 5.56 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/psa-16-hammer-forged-chrome-lined-m4a1-mp-barrel.html) is only $220.

The Noveske 8" (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-8-300&cat=168&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=) is $350, and I'm sure it's "worth it', but I don't want to spend $300 for a stainless barrel for 300 BLK.

That's kind of my problem. I just want a standard grade barrel that isn't a piece of shit.

rob_s
04-06-12, 09:50
That's kind of my problem. I just want a standard grade barrel that isn't a piece of shit.

yep, same here.

JasonM
04-06-12, 10:48

The earlier ones were press fit and had 2 set screws/dimpled barrel.

The latest I've heard is that they moved to a pinned block and a slightly faster twist early this year.

Iraqgunz
04-06-12, 13:18
The pics online show set screws. Maybe I will call them.

The latest I've heard is that they moved to a pinned block and a slightly faster twist early this year.

matemike
05-06-12, 11:59

My question may be dumb, but it is:
How does one install the barrel nut if the gas block is already pressed on?

fixit69
05-06-12, 20:16
Not to derail, but it seems better here than starting a new thread. I have a 9" AAC barrel on the way. Thinking of carbon fiber hand guard. Does anyone have any experience or ideas.

sandsunsurf
05-06-12, 20:57
I accidentally loaded a loaded blackout mag into my 5.56. I was at a class, brought the blk as my backup, thought I had unloaded ALL mags, but I left one mag with pink tips in the cab. You guessed it- during a break for some reason I grabbed it... It didn't cause a problem other than a malfunction drill!

rob_s
05-06-12, 21:08
Not to derail, but it seems better here than starting a new thread. I have a 9" AAC barrel on the way. Thinking of carbon fiber hand guard. Does anyone have any experience or ideas.

Lancer.