PDA

View Full Version : New Vicker's base pads for Glocks.

one
04-02-12, 09:51
Saw a picture of these on an instructors pistol on his Facebook account. Wondered what the story was on them and what differences there are between these and the factory standard?

The pic was a little grainy and hard to see a lot of definition on them.

Heavy Metal
04-02-12, 10:07
This would be a good question to ask Larry in the "Ask the SME" section.

Wake27
04-02-12, 10:16
There's been at least one other post on here about them, with good pics and all. Don't remember what its titled but shouldn't be hard to find.

militarymoron
04-02-12, 12:03
i posted pictures here: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1259163#post1259163

one
04-02-12, 15:53
Shows invalid link MM.

I purposely kept this off the SME because of so many deletions in regards to various topics.

brushy bill
04-02-12, 18:58
There's been at least one other post on here about them, with good pics and all. Don't remember what its titled but shouldn't be hard to find.

I think D90king posted them in Glock pic thread

JonnyVain
04-02-12, 22:39
I think D90king posted them in Glock pic thread

^Glock pic thread. You'll see them last two pages.

The purpose is to make a grip on the baseplate to aid in removal when a mag doesn't drop free.

K.O.A.M.
04-03-12, 09:44
LAV was running them on his Glock at the Gainesville, FL, class in March. He said they were designed to facilitate reloads using his techniques. They appeared solid and well made-I'm going to get a few to try when they're released.

Jim D
04-03-12, 12:22
There are some more pictures here, too:
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/03/13/vickers-tactical-glock-baseplates/

LAV should be doing a product announcement on them soon.

pr1042
04-03-12, 15:31
someone posted in this forum that they were already available for purchase, just had to call in and request

i cannot find the post (which had the store's name) so it may have been deleted, believe the price point was under 20 bucks for 5 base plates though

Shokr21
04-03-12, 15:48
someone posted in this forum that they were already available for purchase, just had to call in and request

i cannot find the post (which had the store's name) so it may have been deleted, believe the price point was under 20 bucks for 5 base plates though

I recall that same post, can't find it myself. I'd like to give these a shot and at $20 that's no sweat. I believe the post stated he got them for ~$18 for 5 baseplates.

C4IGrant
04-03-12, 15:51
We have them on order and I think they should be shipping out next week.

C4

Shokr21
04-03-12, 16:02

C4

Would there be any possible way of pre-ordering through you Grant?

DOA
04-03-12, 19:45

They did not want that to happen so the thread was removed. There will be a formal announcement soon.

SeriousStudent
04-03-12, 20:31

C4

I'll be writing another check for your sons' college fund. Might as well try these out.

d90king
04-03-12, 20:32
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/64f5e2bc.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/5365440b.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/06817284.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/87f82535.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/838e06d8.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/50eb1d61.jpg

one
04-04-12, 02:10
Great pics.

VA_Dinger
04-04-12, 08:01
Outstanding product from some great dudes, everyone of which I consider a friend. I’ve had four for the past week and love them. I consider them a must have especially for guys with Glock’s that do not have the front strap cut-out.

I will be switching all of my mags over to them ASAP.

C4IGrant
04-04-12, 08:13
Would there be any possible way of pre-ordering through you Grant?

Sure. Just send us an e-mail.

C4

brickboy240
04-04-12, 10:53
Wow...those look great.

-brickboy240

Shokr21
04-04-12, 11:25
email sent Grant

d90king
04-04-12, 13:21
Outstanding product from some great dudes, everyone of which I consider a friend. I’ve had four for the past week and love them. I consider them a must have especially for guys with Glock’s that do not have the front strap cut-out.

Thanks for the kind words Brother! You were there from the very beginning and were able to watch it grow into the fantastic product that it is today. LAV did an outstanding job with these and his final product exceeded our expectations.

Jim D
04-04-12, 15:42

You've got 4!? I'm down to one, now! :sad:

Thanks for the kind words, Paul. They really did turn out better than we could have hoped for.

arcticlightfighter
04-04-12, 16:52
Any chance that they will be made for the M&P series?

one
04-04-12, 17:59
Well I've got my e mail in to Grant. Hopefully it won't be too long before release.

I've been extremely happy with my mag releases and slide releases born from LAV's input and it looks like these items will be just about as much of a product improvement.

cgcorrea
04-12-12, 13:09
Just picked up a set of these from NET TAC. Looking forward to tryin' them out. At $18.50 per set of five, the price is pretty damn reasonable too.

one
04-12-12, 13:50
Yeah I surfed through Facebook shortly after midnight last night to see if there were any messages from friends and Larry's post on his book showed up on mine stating that they were released last night, middle of the night, so I scored a pack of them too.

Eagerly anticipating these to try.

Preach
04-13-12, 10:18
Just picked up a set of these from NET TAC. Looking forward to tryin' them out. At $18.50 per set of five, the price is pretty damn reasonable too.

Just ordered myself a set from NETTAC. 5 pack for $18.50, probably should have bought more. But they are on the way.

ThirdWatcher
04-13-12, 20:45
I wonder if they'll make them for 10mm/.45 ACP mags?

cgcorrea
04-20-12, 08:39
I just got mine in yesterday. They feel pretty good upon indexing the mag when performing reloads with both my G17 and G19 mags. One thing that I didn't expect was that they give my hand somewhat of an extra reference point at the meaty part of the ridge of my shooting hand when establishing a grip with my G19. Not on my G17 though, since it has a longer grip. They also don't take from the concealability of the gun and spare mag, at least not for me. This was something that I was worried about initially due to the increased size of the base plate. Non issue though(again, I can only speak for myself.). I also dig the marking system. I'm gonna put these through some range use, and if they stay on my good side then I'll get enough to outfit all my mags.

OldGreg
04-20-12, 10:17
D90king.... Great job on these floor plates! I'm hoping you add an FDE color someday.. But for now I think I'm gonna give them a coat of spray paint.

d90king
04-20-12, 11:24
D90king.... Great job on these floor plates! I'm hoping you add an FDE color someday.. But for now I think I'm gonna give them a coat of spray paint.

Thank you for the kind words! That said they are a Vickers Tactical product and LAV greatly improved upon the design making them the excellent product that they turned into. He was the only person we were interested in bringing them to... It was a great project to be a part of. :cool:

one
04-20-12, 19:21
I received mine Wednesday and installed them on my G17 mags and one G19 mag.

Flawless performance on both guns. I really like them. I'm going to paint the dot codes this weekend to take advantage of the numbering set up.

I can see though that these would be uncomfortable to use on a G26 or caliber variant due to where it would fall on on the palm of your hand. But I'm sure they weren't really intended for those guns.

G17 and 19 it's an A+ product in my opinion with no failures through three range days and several hundred rounds fired.

demkofour
04-20-12, 19:58
Is there any feedback on how these will/will not work on older generation magazines. I tried installing one on an earlier magazine and it seemed to fit fine. Except when it started to load the mag the basepad ejected at around eight rounds. Also, when I tried to insert an empty mag into the pistol, it would not fully seat and lock in place...
I run a Gen3 G19 at work and although my reloads are newer generation FML "fall free" magazines, I carry the pistol with older NFML mags. My thinking being if the magazine release is accidentally depressed I won't loose the magazine. Of course, that's the magazine that I would benefit the most from having the new Vickers basepad on.

High Altitude
04-20-12, 20:17
I received a package of 5.

These floor plates do not snap right on nearly as easy as the stock glock floor plate.

What I mean is that when you slide the Vickers floor plate on, the nub on the magazine insert does not snap into the hole on the floor plate every time. It took me several times to get some of the floor plates to install correctly and one of the floor plates simply will not install properly. It is very easy to have the floor plate on the magazine and the magazine insert simply will not insert into the floor plate properly.

When I put on the stock glock floor plates, the nub on the magazine insert snaps into the hole in the floor plate perfectly every single time. Never an issue.

No doubt in my mind that the Vickers floor plate aren't manufactured to the same tolerance/size as the stock glock floor plates.

Larry Vickers
04-20-12, 20:22
Thanx for all the great feedback guys - Jeff Cahill and I just took the ball across the goal line after Pat and Jim handed it off

We are seriously considering offering all the Vickers Tactical Glock polymer products in FDE- stand by for updates on that

As a side note I was contacted by a Micheal Smith with the DOJ ( US Marshalls I believe) who claims to have been making and selling a similar product to my baseplates since 2003- he claims to have it 'copyrighted' ( which means nothing in this case as only a proper patent would apply) ; Jeff Cahill and I are reviewing the situation right now to see if there is any evidence of Mr Smith marketing a similar product in the past 9 years- so far our search has come up with nothing and until his email today I had never even heard of him

Please someone chime in if they have heard of Mr Smith or the product he claims to sell

Thank you

Larry Vickers
Vickers Tactical Inc.
Tac-TV.com

djegators
04-20-12, 20:24
Definitely interested in the FDE products, thanks.

El Cid
04-20-12, 20:26
I wonder if they'll make them for 10mm/.45 ACP mags?

Count me in if so!

Heavy Metal
04-20-12, 20:53
Larry, the Glock FDE is actually Coyote Brown. Will you be trying to match the factory shade?

zibby43
04-20-12, 22:39
I received a package of 5.

These floor plates do not snap right on nearly as easy as the stock glock floor plate.

What I mean is that when you slide the Vickers floor plate on, the nub on the magazine insert does not snap into the hole on the floor plate every time. It took me several times to get some of the floor plates to install correctly and one of the floor plates simply will not install properly. It is very easy to have the floor plate on the magazine and the magazine insert simply will not insert into the floor plate properly.

When I put on the stock glock floor plates, the nub on the magazine insert snaps into the hole in the floor plate perfectly every single time. Never an issue.

No doubt in my mind that the Vickers floor plate aren't manufactured to the same tolerance/size as the stock glock floor plates.

That's strange. :blink: I installed 5 Vickers base plates on 15-round G19 mags yesterday and the factory Glock insert plate snapped right into place with the same amount of effort required to install a Glock base plate.

zibby43
04-20-12, 22:43
Thanx for all the great feedback guys - Jeff Cahill and I just took the ball across the goal line after Pat and Jim handed it off

We are seriously considering offering all the Vickers Tactical Glock polymer products in FDE- stand by for updates on that

As a side note I was contacted by a Micheal Smith with the DOJ ( US Marshalls I believe) who claims to have been making and selling a similar product to my baseplates since 2003- he claims to have it 'copyrighted' ( which means nothing in this case as only a proper patent would apply) ; Jeff Cahill and I are reviewing the situation right now to see if there is any evidence of Mr Smith marketing a similar product in the past 9 years- so far our search has come up with nothing and until his email today I had never even heard of him

Please someone chime in if they have heard of Mr Smith or the product he claims to sell

Thank you

Larry Vickers
Vickers Tactical Inc.
Tac-TV.com

Yeah I'm definitely sensing some BS on behalf of Mr. Smith. Copyright protection unquestionably does NOT apply to functional products/designs such as magazine base plates.

Functional devices, processes, methods of business, etc. are simply not protected by copyright law.

one
04-21-12, 00:46
Like zibby43 I've installed all five of mine. Four on G17 mags and one 19. I had no problem to speak of. They do seem to slide on over the body's tabs a little tighter but nothing that I'd deem out of the ordinary.

I could see running some FDE ones on my G19 mags to easily differentiate them from G17 mags at a glance.

Larry Vickers
04-21-12, 13:53
The Vickers Tactical Glock polymer parts from Tangodown would be color matched to the Glock FDE as per the Lipseys guns

LAV

High Altitude
04-21-12, 16:22
That's strange. :blink: I installed 5 Vickers base plates on 15-round G19 mags yesterday and the factory Glock insert plate snapped right into place with the same amount of effort required to install a Glock base plate.

If I have time I will shoot a video and put it up on youtube showing what is going on so you can see.

Sometimes the insert plate doesn't go into the hole on the base plate at all and other times it does go into the hole but not all the way. Put it on and off enough times and eventually it will install correctly.

zibby43
04-21-12, 16:49
If I have time I will shoot a video and put it up on youtube showing what is going on so you can see.

Sometimes the insert plate doesn't go into the hole on the base plate at all and other times it does go into the hole but not all the way. Put it on and off enough times and eventually it will install correctly.

Yeah I guess I'll have to see a video of what's going on to get a better understanding of how this is happening.

How are you holding the insert against the spring as you prepare to install the base plate?

Larry Vickers
04-22-12, 09:01
Guys what I have learned from installing lord knows how many of these new baseplates is the proper technique makes all the difference in the world- here is what I do;

Take a long thin punch about the same diameter of the hole in the bottom of the baseplate

Push the retaining plate in far enough to gain leverage to pull off the factory baseplate - this is a 'prying' type operation until you get it past the little tits on the side of the magazine- then the baseplate slides right off

Reassemble the retainer on top of the mag spring with the retaining tit sticking out

Push this arrangement down with your thumb - keeping everything aligned- while you begin to push on the new enhanced baseplate ; a bit of force will be required and with the proper technique you won't pinch your thumb ( ask me how I know that!)

Once you feel the new baseplate 'pop' past the retaining tits on the sides of the magazine push the baseplate on WHILE you continue to keep the retaining plate in proper position until the new base plate pushes your thumb away

The retaining plate should pop right into the new baseplate with no issues

This technique works at least 90% of the time - once in awhile the retaining plate will get cockeyed but with a little tapping usually pops into place

Worst case disassemble and re attempt

Early on I did the whole squeeze the mag body with a pair of pliers routine- that technique is a no go and frustrated me big time until I sorted out the above approach; now I can put on a baseplate in less than a minute

Hope this helps

LAV

Palmguy
04-22-12, 11:19

Same here. Just put five on yesterday. No issues. I use the same method that Mr. Vickers describes in the post above mine.

big b
04-22-12, 12:57
I really like the look of these. I'm going to have to order up a pack or two to try out.

one
04-22-12, 13:06
Yep, like LAV posted it's no different really than removing and putting on standard style plates. Just perhaps a little tighter due to the newness.

I think the whole issue with people having problems with Glock magazine disassembly stems from what Larry posted about previously attempting to squeeze the sides of the magazine to depress the side tabs from their recesses in the plate. This was depicted in magazines and earlier internet searches for me so it was the only way I understood how.

The result of this technique was such a mess I just basically never cleaned magazines. Then years later in Armorer's school the woman showed how to snap the plates on and off and it's been just about as easy as cleaning every other pistol magazine.

In fact, and I'm going a bit out of line here as you may already be doing this, but Larry it might be worthwhile to mention to students during some class down time the right way to take apart Glock mags. If everyone indicates they're good with it then no foul no time spent. If someone mentions they do have problems then having them do it a couple times would be a great bonus since this still seems to be a bump in the road for some Glock shooters on maintenance.

Heavy Metal
04-22-12, 13:17
I also angle the mag and push one of the rear corners of the base plate against a hard surface while I use the punch as a lever.

I push the mag body down against the rear corner while I lever the punch forward with the other hand. This seems to help get it started off of the locking nubs on the side of the flange the base plate is retained by.

One thing I learned the hard way is not to try and use a short punch as Larry alludes to by mentioning using a long punch. Long punch works MUCH better.

EzGoingKev
05-12-12, 12:58
FYI - I tried one of these on a pre-ban "U" notch mag and it would not engage the magazine catch. The older mag bodies must be shorter than newer mags.

one
05-12-12, 16:51
FYI - I tried one of these on a pre-ban "U" notch mag and it would not engage the magazine catch. The older mag bodies must be shorter than newer mags.

Might be right. I believe there was a slight difference in length on G26 magazines over the years. I recall seeing threads in the past online about variances in fit of base plates on those.

EzGoingKev
05-12-12, 18:36
For most people it would not even be an issue because they are not forced by the retarded liberal state they live in to use antique parts.

Sgt_Gold
05-12-12, 19:11
Might be right. I believe there was a slight difference in length on G26 magazines over the years. I recall seeing threads in the past online about variances in fit of base plates on those.

I noticed the issue with my Gen 4 G23 and 'U' notch magazines. There's a slight difference in length between the 'U' notch mags and all the designs that followed. The issue extends to parts like the X-Grip as well. I can't use the base plates on old G19 and G23 magazines, but I can use them on G17 an G22 mags if I trim the X-Grip a bit.

demkofour
05-13-12, 10:26
Double post...

demkofour
05-13-12, 10:27

I pointed this out in an earlier post as well as the fact that the base pads have a tendency to eject while loading on older magazines... LAV replied and is aware.
My take for the time being is to mate these new base pads only with newer generation magazines and keep the old mags stock...

El Cid
05-13-12, 15:19
The Vickers Tactical Glock polymer parts from Tangodown would be color matched to the Glock FDE as per the Lipseys guns

LAV

I'm in! Need a quick way to differentiate my G17 mags from my G22 mags anyway.

mildot
05-13-12, 22:07
I installed one on a G19 and a G34 mag. I have yet to get some range time, however initial thoughts are positive, I can see the advantage in grip "purchase' if you had to strip the mag out. Overall good 'bang for the buck" IMO. Good Work LAV!!

Impact
09-24-12, 13:14
installed my 5 vickers glock base plates...man are thee nice and provide a much firmer grip !

I followed the instructions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJq_gYUPqQU

when will the FDE be available ?

SSGGlock
09-24-12, 13:18
installed my 5 vickers glock base plates...man are thee nice and provide a much firmer grip !

I followed the instructions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJq_gYUPqQU

when will the FDE be available ?

I ordered the FDE ones already and awaiting for the post man to arrive today with them. According to the tracking number, sucks my mail comes late.

Fire_Medic
09-24-12, 13:49
I ordered the FDE ones today as well, also some other goodies. Can't wait for them to come in.

Impact
09-24-12, 15:15
where did you guys order the FDE ones? tangodown website does not have them. The ones I have are black

SSGGlock
09-24-12, 15:19
https://www.nettac.com/TangoDown-Vickers-Tactical-Glock-Magazine-Baseplates-5-Pack_p_164.html

The browns are in stock, they also have matching mag release. Just installed both on my FDE Glock. Colors dead on.

Impact
09-24-12, 15:39
thanks !

Fire_Medic
09-24-12, 15:51
https://www.nettac.com/TangoDown-Vickers-Tactical-Glock-Magazine-Baseplates-5-Pack_p_164.html

The browns are in stock, they also have matching mag release. Just installed both on my FDE Glock. Colors dead on.

You got a pic? I ordered the same parts in the same color.

StrikerFired
09-24-12, 15:52
They have them in stock on Amazon as well, just ordered mine!:D

d90king
09-24-12, 17:27
For those who have been running the baseplates what are your initial impressions?

Would be interested in your feedback. Thanks.

tire iron
09-24-12, 20:24
I did a video review of the Vickers base plates and mag release here:
http://tireironscorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-handgun-mods.html

Bottom line - I like them!

cheers

tire iron

El Cid
09-25-12, 14:29
Got my floor plates and mag catch today. Color match is perfect IMO.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/LAVFDEKit2.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/LAVFDEKit.jpg

NeoNeanderthal
09-25-12, 14:48
I've been running them for a while now (black). And I have come to really like them in my g17. I appreciate the ability to number them in the recesses without the paint rubbing off quickly. I also like the little divots that were intended to aid in stripping the mag, however I find it more helps give a good reference point when i grab the mag off my belt to do a speed reload.

I have a G17 and a G17 cut down to 19 size grips. The baseplates are not useful on my 17/19 at all. I only use 19 mags for concealed carry and the baseplates are not nearly as low profile as the stock ones (they werent intended to be low pro). Also when i run glock 17 mags in the 19 grip there is less need for the extra size and divots- as stripping the mags is real easy because they stick out a good inch.

So for me there is less use in the 19 because I run 17 mags at the range/tactical setup and stock low profile baseplates when concealed carrying.

MJLman
09-25-12, 20:16
I have been using them on my Gen4 19 and as I posted on nettac, I think from a practical aspect they are the best possible upgrade to the glock platform for the $. Love the ability to number as previously stated, stripping the mag is obviously greatly improved, and dropping free on reloads it would seem that the substantial more amount of plastic would help the life of the mag (im assuming). Might just be a mental thing, but they feel more secure in hand when pulling from my mag holder.

Sensei
09-25-12, 23:18
I like them so much that Mr. Vickers needs to get on the ball and make some for the G21.

nolt
03-11-13, 20:00
I know this is an old thread but I'd like to post continued support/interest in a G21/G20 plate.

Thanks.

d90king
03-11-13, 21:34
Glad you guys are liking them. If there is enough interest in the 20/21 I'm sure you will see them down the road.

brushy bill
03-11-13, 23:31
Would love to see them for the M&P. One 10-8 is more than 5 of the Vickers...believe there would be significant interest in these. Just a thought.

one
03-12-13, 00:25
20/21 plates are what I'm still on the lookout for the most.

Sensei
03-17-13, 01:07
Glad you guys are liking them. If there is enough interest in the 20/21 I'm sure you will see them down the road.

Magazine floorplates and an extended magazine release for the Gen4 20/21 would be very popular.

morbidbattlecry
03-17-13, 03:25
Would love to see them for the M&P. One 10-8 is more than 5 of the Vickers...believe there would be significant interest in these. Just a thought.

I'd like to see them for M&ps as well. For some reason i've always hated magazines with a big toe in front of it.

postwheel
03-17-13, 08:48
I'd like to see them for M&ps as well. For some reason i've always hated magazines with a big toe in front of it.

for m&p get the 10-8 performance basepads

Rayrevolver
03-17-13, 12:49
Ordered 2 packs of FDE floor plates from Botach Wednesday and they got here Saturday.

Seems like a great deal for Glocks.

When I had an M&P I passed on the 10-8 pads because it would have cost over $120. They are really nice though.

morbidbattlecry
03-17-13, 13:18
for m&p get the 10-8 performance basepads

Yeah, but they are just so expensive. Thats almost another whole magazine.

Larry Vickers
03-17-13, 22:34
As you wished baseplates for the G20/21 will be out soon
Enjoy !!

LAV

Heavy Metal
03-17-13, 22:51
How about more earth-tone colors Larry? *cough*OD*cough*

That way one can easily segregate their magazines by caliber at a glance!

All my 15 or so .40s are FDE. My handfull of 10MMs could be Black and my numerous 9s OD.

Sensei
03-17-13, 23:04
As you wished baseplates for the G20/21 will be out soon
Enjoy !!

LAV

Great news! Thanks.

Any word on an extended Glock magazine release for the Gen4 G20/21?

Plumber237
03-20-13, 13:42
I use these with my Gen4 19 and they are awesome, every mag I have except one for carrying has the Vicker's plates on them. Such an improvement over the factory plates.

Flyinlow
03-21-13, 23:46

Thank you

Larry Vickers
Vickers Tactical Inc.
Tac-TV.com

Chiming in...

I really like the look and design of these baseplates. I also know that there is a Mike Smith in the Marshals Service (one L like angel :) ) who had or has a company that made some baseplates. I actually have a couple, and another deputy in my office has a box with a dozen or so.

I can probably get one or two in your hands for examination if you'd like. Just pm me about it. I do not know what his current situation is.