PDA

View Full Version : Question about colt smg kit

Mikesull415
04-02-12, 21:25
Looking at buying a colt smg kit because I want a 9mm AR. The kit comes with everything except the lower receiver. Question is, since I don't have the lower can I go on and buy it? From what I understand the lower is what's registered as the sbr. Or should I buy the lower and get the stamp and then get the kit? Also, are these colt sbr kits worth it? Anybody have one they care to comment about?

Iraqgunz
04-03-12, 04:40
Can you tell us why you want it? What purpose will it serve? IIRC there are conversion blocks that can be used in the magwells.

KalashniKEV
04-03-12, 08:35
The Colt SMG kits, while in excellent or new condition, are leftover 80's junk.

You could build a better 9mm AR for less by contacting Adco.

If you want a fixed FSB, an A2 receiver, and a pinned block, they're probably a good value... but who wants that?

You will have to SBR a lower to run a sub 16" barrel, so if I were you I'd get the ball rolling on that ASAP and you'll have plenty of time to do appropriate research (6-7 months).

usmcvet
04-03-12, 09:21
IG brings up a good point. Why do you want one. If it's just a toy then go for it but 5.56 is in most cases a much better choice. Buy an SBR on a form 4 or SBR a lower on a form 1 and buy what you need and want.

QuietShootr
04-03-12, 09:23
Where are these kits available?

Mikesull415
04-03-12, 09:46
I've got a couple of 5.56 ar's already. Really just want a 9mm variant. No particular reason other than that. I like the idea of having a SBR version just because thats how I want it. I figured the colt version would be good as a already done "one stop shopping" kind of thing.

usmcvet
04-03-12, 10:04
I've got a couple of 5.56 ar's already. Really just want a 9mm variant. No particular reason other than that. I like the idea of having a SBR version just because thats how I want it. I figured the colt version would be good as a already done "one stop shopping" kind of thing.

I hear ya. I have my serious guns and uppers set up and I am building an A2 just because I want one and it is what I cut my teeth on.

KalashniKEV
04-03-12, 10:47
Where are these kits available?

They're around...

Here's one place:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Colt-9mm-SMG-Parts-Kit-Used-2p841.htm

usmcvet
04-03-12, 12:07
Man for $900 I would buy a factory 5.56 SBR and then go out and buy or build a 9 mm upper and get the mag block you need.

usmcvet
04-07-12, 18:26
Might be what you're looking for here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1277378#post1277378

Bret
04-09-12, 15:44
Really just want a 9mm variant. No particular reason other than that. I like the idea of having a SBR version just because thats how I want it.
I use your same logic when it comes to gun purchases. I'm sure glad that I don't have to use real world reasons to justify my gun purchases.

I paid around $900 for my Rock River factory SBR.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3310/rightsideviewwithaimpoi.jpg
It took like six months for it to come it to my FFL, but it was worth it. The thing runs great (so long as I don't use CProducts magazines). Also, a factory SBR will typically hold its value better than an SBR built from surplus parts.

az doug
04-09-12, 23:52
The linked kit, in the photographs, shows all full auto parts including the auto sear. Be careful.

KalashniKEV
04-10-12, 08:52
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3310/rightsideviewwithaimpoi.jpg

How can you possibly see through that T-1???

Also, a factory SBR will typically hold its value better than an SBR built from surplus parts.

Actually, a Colt SMG built on any decent receiver will hold it's value far better than a commercial gun.

The linked kit, in the photographs, shows all full auto parts including the auto sear. Be careful.

Stop the insanity.

Everyone who builds kits (of any platform) has autosears and various spare F/A FCG parts laying around.

It's not a machine gun until it's... a machine gun.

Bret
04-10-12, 11:42
I couldn't. That's why I bought a riser. Now it's perfect. I just didn't take a new picture. If you'd like to see, let me know and I'll be glad to take a new picture.

Actually, a Colt SMG built on any decent receiver will hold it's value far better than a commercial gun.
Sorry, going to have to completely disagree with you on this. The factory RRA was priced well to begin with and would be a relatively easy sell at the same price. That kit built on a non-Colt non-9mm marked receiver engraved with an individual's name would be a very difficult sell at the total cost involved (not including the stamp). The kit is way overpriced for what you get. If I wanted a Colt 9mm SBR, rather than buy that kit, I'd buy a Colt 9mm, sell the original Colt barrel, get the stamp, and then swap the barrel. This way you'd have a Colt marked 9mm SBR in new condition.[/QUOTE]

az doug
04-10-12, 19:56

Stop the insanity.

Everyone who builds kits (of any platform) has autosears and various spare F/A FCG parts laying around.

It's not a machine gun until it's... a machine gun.

I was referring to installing the lower receiver parts in the lower without modification. The hammer will follow on the f/a setting, firing at least a few rounds full auto. That is bad enough, but do that while in possession of an auto sear... From the OP's questions I am not certain he knows the difference in the parts and may install the F/A parts.

You write "stop the madness" and I respond "help a guy out before he makes a big mistake."