PDA

View Full Version : Help me with sight configuration

Eric D.
04-03-12, 15:41
I want to get new sights for my G19. I bought it with the Kyle Defoor sights already installed and it has always shot extremely low. I've messed around trying different sight pictures and the only way I can hit a target at 15 yds is by positioning the sights like this:

http://i.imgur.com/cvaMm.png

At any rate I'm fed up with these sights and a quick search shows that POA/POI problems are not uncommon with 9mm glocks.

I put the factory glock sights back on last night and I will use those as a baseline but I need recommendations on what height front/rear to get. I'm convinced any front/rear set is just going to give me the same problems and I'm not going to piss cash away trying to find the right combo.

The Defoor set measured 0.165" high, front and rear. The factory glock sights measure 0.155" for the front and 0.175" for the rear; I am expecting the glock sights to have a closer POA/POI relationship. As soon as I get to the range, I will report back with a baseline from the glock sights.

MegademiC
04-04-12, 00:36
I would find a set to match the stock hights. Order individually if you have to, but I know for my cz there were 3 or 4 options for front sight hights. maybe they have something similar for glocks.

okie john
04-04-12, 10:26
I would find a set to match the stock hights.

Not necessarily. First, taller sights are often easier to see and use than the factory sights.

Second, the factory sights may not be correct for that particular pistol, and Glock's view of the situation may not match ours. I got a new Gen3 G17 late last year that hit several inches high at 25 yards and almost a foot high at 50. Basically, it was zeroed somewhere between 150-200 yards. I returned it to Glock with a full description of the problem. They tested it at 10 and 15 yards, then returned it to me with no changes saying it was "within factory spec."

Once you get a baseline with factory sights, have someone else shoot it and make sure that it's not operator error. If it still hits low, this tool can help you figure out what sights you need: http://www.ameriglo.net/sights/calculator

Keep us posted.

Okie John

Ankeny
04-04-12, 10:50
You might take a look at Warren tactical and/or Sevigny sights. Dawson Precision has a pretty good list of recommended heights on their web site.

AmeriGlo
04-04-12, 11:33
Eric,

The Defoor set has a .165" front and a .256" rear height. If shooting low then simply swap out the rear for a taller version. You can use our Sight Height Calculator on the front of our 'weapon sights' page (bottom right corner). You'll need to know how low and the distance.

Out of the many sets of Defoor sights sold, we have not received many issues like yours, but your feedback helps us make sure we put out an acceptable product. Often times other things affect POI, like a barrel swap. If you have other questions you can email us at sales@ameriglo.com

Rick

Eric D.
04-04-12, 17:18
Thanks for the link, John. That looks helpful.

The Defoor set has a .165" front and a .256" rear height.

Interesting. Like I said, I measured the rear height at 0.165", from the top of the sight down to where the dovetail notch starts; effectively the same distance as the top of the sight to the slide. Maybe the previous owner didn't have a standard set, I don't know, but if the rear height is supposed to be 0.256" that explains why I was shooting as low as I was.

I like the Warren sights and I was almost sold on the Trijicon HD's but at this point I'm still apprehensive to get a matched set. AmeriGlo may be the way I go because of all the front/rear height options they have.