PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a late model Tacoma or Frontier?

buckshot1220
04-03-12, 17:45
I'm in the final stages of landing a new job that will require a great of deal of driving. I need something 4wd for the winters and prefer to have a truck for my home improvement needs and outdoor weekend fun type of stuff. I've owned tons of different vehicles from WRX's to Wranglers (current) and everything in between. Being a car guy, I like to enjoy what I drive and I think that a Tacoma would do what I need it to and hold my interest as somewhat of a hobby vehicle (maybe doing some future mods).

My question: Does anyone here own a late model Tacoma 4x4 double cab with a manual trans and what mileage are you getting? If not the exact same configuration I'd still like to know what configuration you have and what you are getting for MPG. As well, the Frontier may be a close second for me, so if you have one feel free to persuade me.

BTW, I will be driving about 70% highway.

Thanks.

C-grunt
04-03-12, 18:40
My work partner had one but in an auto. She got an average of around 20 MPG I believe.

Take a serious look at the new Ford F150 V6. That 3.7 liter makes just under 300 HP in the truck and with the 6 speed tranny they can get close to 30 MPG highway with the 2WD models. I test drove one in consideration for my wife and its a nice truck. The V6 isnt a powerhouse but its got enough power for that truck for sure.

ETA. My old neighbor has a new Frontier and he loves it. His last truck was a Frontier and when he decided to get a new vehicle he went straight back to Nissan.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-12, 18:53
I've got a quad cab Tacoma V6 automatic 2wd that averages 17 in the city and 26ish on the highway.

rob_s
04-03-12, 19:23
I've got a quad cab Tacoma V6 automatic 2wd that averages 17 in the city and 26ish on the highway.

'bout the same, except I average about 17-18 total because I drive like an asshole.
:jester:

I frankly think the truck is too small, but I wouldn't drive a V6 fullsize. Too weak for the quad-cab models. No way in hell would I buy a regular-cab Tacoma.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-12, 19:36
I frankly think the truck is too small, but I wouldn't drive a V6 fullsize. Too weak for the quad-cab models. No way in hell would I buy a regular-cab Tacoma.

Rob, what model year do you have? Mine is an '05 (the earliest of model year of the current body type). It has the 6' bed on it. My "mid-size" Tacoma is longer and has more cab space than my folk's quad cab F-150. It barely fits in a standard size garage, it's as long as a Chevy Suburban.

tb-av
04-03-12, 19:39
I think I get right around 20 in my '99. 4cyl 4WD

Tacomas ride rough if you plan on spending a lot of time in it. I spend a lot of time on major roads and I'm convinced I've hit every rock and pot hole out there. They are not quiet either.

So you might want to consider that. I've heard the Tundras drive like a car and I don't think the mileage is much different.

At least that's been my 200,000 mile experience.

rob_s
04-03-12, 19:55
Rob, what model year do you have? Mine is an '05 (the earliest of model year of the current body type). It has the 6' bed on it. My "mid-size" Tacoma is longer and has more cab space than my folk's quad cab F-150. It barely fits in a standard size garage, it's as long as a Chevy Suburban.

I have a 2010 5' bed.

I don't even remotely think the cab space is anywhere near a current production fullsize pickup from anyone.

Three friends have recent production Rams. If I thought they'd fit in a garage, or didn't have a garage to worry about, I might get one.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-12, 20:09
Three friends have recent production Rams. If I thought they'd fit in a garage, or didn't have a garage to worry about, I might get one.

Dodge now leads the pack in cab space because for so long they had the worst.

I think my mom's F-150 is an '03 its quad cab is A LOT smaller than my Tacomas and the bed is 4'.

madisonsfinest
04-03-12, 20:28
I have a 2010 double cab and it is no way near the interior space of any full size pick up interior of the same time frame. If I could have fit a Tundra in my garage I would've got one.

I get between 16-20mpg on mine as stickered. It doesn't get much better, if at all, then a full size.

I wouldn't get anything smaller. If you don't have car seats to put inside, you should probably have enough room in the double cab. I do have a car seat in mine and I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to get out of it.

I do think the Tacoma is the best looking truck its size though.

buckshot1220
04-03-12, 20:45
Thanks for the replies guys. I currently have a Wrangler (2-door) so I'm fairly well used to not having much space. Also having plastic rear windows I've become very accustomed to not keeping anything of value inside:bad: That being said, I think the space of the double cab would be more than enough.

I am also looking at the Tundra model. I like the truck but I'm unsure of gas mileage and I'd have to see if the weight (if over 5k) would force me to register as commercial in NY which would prohibit me from using the Parkways I'd need to frequent. I currently work for a large rental company and we have plenty of trucks (1/2 tons all the way up to 1.5ton stakebeds) and I'm well aware of the issues out there with the F150's we have. Dodge (I used to work for them) is a consideration for me, and Chevy would be if they got their interior out of the stone-age!

rob-s: I'm confused by your post so maybe you can clarify for me. Are you saying that the V-6 Tacoma double-cab is underpowered or are you saying that a fullsize (F150/Ram/Silverado) would be underpowered with a V-6?

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

obucina
04-03-12, 23:57
Have you considered an EcoBoost powered F150? 365hp, massive, flat torque curve, and 20mpg. You'll squeeze a little better mileage and more power with a good SCT tune, run a bigger intake and freer flowing exhaust with the tune and a 400hp daily driver is no big deal. The interior has a lot of space, brakes are big, 6spd auto, and a 6.5ft bed has plenty of room to swallow a lot of shtuff!

I have an 07 Lariat Supercab I drove out of the showroom about 5 years ago and wouldnt trade it for anything. I hauled a full pallet of 18in tile (twice) and it was no sweat. The jockey at HD just dropped the pallet in! Including every other major home improvement project I have had since I bought my house in early feb.

sjc3081
04-04-12, 00:40
I have a 2012 v6 4x4 dbl cab long bed 17,000 miles auto tranny 17 to 20 mpg city/highway. Zero issues 100% perfect reliblity. I highly recommend the truck.

Oscar 319
04-04-12, 01:17
I don't think they make the Double Cab with a manual tranny. I could be wrong.

I have a 2007 TRD that I purchased new. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I have a small lift and 32's- needless to say, gas prices are a real pain in the ass right now.

Here is a pic of her at 2 weeks old in Moab Utah.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/MoabSpring2007103.jpg

rob_s
04-04-12, 02:57
rob-s: I'm confused by your post so maybe you can clarify for me. Are you saying that the V-6 Tacoma double-cab is underpowered or are you saying that a fullsize (F150/Ram/Silverado) would be underpowered with a V-6?

Frankly, for me, both, but what I really meant was a fullsize would be underpowered.

The Tacoma is my first ever non-V8, non-US-branded, vehicle (not counting my Harley). It is the perfect vehicle for me, and I hate the ****ing thing for it. It's just so... boring. and the idea of "modding" it to me is about as exciting as putting a S&B 1-8 on a DPMS.

About the only mod I'm really considering is a camper shell, but I'm sure I'll want the supercharger almost immediately due to the added weight.

buckshot1220
04-04-12, 05:09

I have a 2007 TRD that I purchased new. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I have a small lift and 32's- needless to say, gas prices are a real pain in the ass right now.

Here is a pic of her at 2 weeks old in Moab Utah.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/MoabSpring2007103.jpg

Nice looooking truck man! You can get the 6-speed in the double cab with every option package except the TRD Off Road.

madisonsfinest
04-04-12, 07:40
The ride quality is really good IMO and I have no problem with noise

buckshot1220
04-04-12, 08:19
The ride quality is really good IMO and I have no problem with noise

I currently drive an '04 Wrangler Rubicon w/ 2" lift, 33's and a soft top...anything is a step in the right direction regarding ride quality and noise lol.

I also choose my vehicles based on expected depreciation/resale values. The Tacoma has a lot gping for it in those areas. I sold cars for many years and it is very easy to get upside down in the wrong vehicle.

Jer
04-04-12, 10:30
I just picked up an Access cab 2010 Tacoma w/TRD Supercharger & regular bed. It's only 26k miles & was certified pre-owned so I get a full 100k mile warranty of 2017, whichever happens first.

Here it is the day bought it:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w9VqTjdnx6Y/T3fuYQ-bjcI/AAAAAAAACbw/VtOEp96FceI/s720/IMG_20120331_170434.jpg

Here it is the day after being put to work already:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h0Tro__rhu4/T3p-iHuc4JI/AAAAAAAACb8/aX0NNW2C7JQ/s597/2012-04-02%252020.40.27.jpg

I've had several Toytas but this is my first Tacoma. I love it already. It's the 5spd auto, supercharged and I've only had it for a few days so I can't speak too much to fuel economy (even though I've already put a couple hundred miles on it) but I CAN speak to size. I've had many, many, MANY full size trucks in my life and I can tell you that I LOVE the size of this truck. To me it seems about perfect for maneuverability yet it's not too small as I'm a rather large fella. When I decided I needed a new truck (traded in a 2007 Camry Hybrid that the wife drove) I immediately thought of a Tacoma and I think a LOT of people have this thought. This all points to resale and you won't find a truck that holds it's resale value better. I was seeing 100k+ mile trucks selling for well above $20k which tells me I can drive this truck as much as I want and get my money back out of it. I like the new Ford EcoTech but you won't do that with an F150, I don't care if it's powered by unicorn farts. For long-term reliability and resale I would say you're headed down the right path with the Tacoma.

Packman73
04-04-12, 11:41
I have a lifted 2007 DC. Not 4x4 but it has the locking differential and has taken me to all of my hunting spots and back with no troubles. I get ~17.5 mpg averaged out. TacomaWorld.com has a plethora of info.

JBecker 72
04-04-12, 12:04
I ****ed up. I bought an 07 Colorado Z71 5 cylinder 4x4 brand new in 07 and it now has 74,000 miles on it. It's been a good reliable truck and it has plenty of power for pulling for it's size and it does well off road, but I have Tacoma envy. I really should have bought a double cab long bed 4x4 Tacoma instead but they wanted about $34k OTD for a new one. That's not much cheaper than a diesel 1 ton. So I bought the Colorado for $24k and it will be paid off in about 6 months. I average about 17 mpg all around in it so it's about the same as the Tacoma.

At this point I'm just gonna drive it into the ground and I'm confident it will make it to 200,000 miles if I take care of it, but there are a lot of features it lacks. Moral of the story, don't let the sticker shock of the Tacoma deter you into something else, all my friends that have them absolutely love them.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/hownowbrowncow_02/Cars/TruckatJellystone.jpg

Spurholder
04-04-12, 12:11
I used to own a 2006 Prerunner Double Cab.

Loved the truck. Only problem I ever had was having a cup holder full of change removed from my steering wheel's air bag mount (thanks to then-18 month old Number One Son who did it when I wasn't looking one afternoon). Dealer laughed and didn't charge me a dime.

I hated the fact that it sucked down gas like a 454-equipped Chevelle, but those are the breaks. Would I buy another one? Sure.

Oscar 319
04-04-12, 12:21
Oh yeah. A note on resale; You will not find a vehicle that holds it's value better than a 4WD Tacoma.

When I bought mine in 2007, I was looking at 2005-2006's with 30-50,000 miles going for damned near the same as a brand new one.

My 2007 with 45,000 miles still blue books at $22-24000.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/oscar319/DSCN1098.jpg

Once you get one, you will never have trouble getting your money back if you choose to sell it.

JBecker 72
04-04-12, 12:38
Oh yeah. A note on resale; You will not find a vehicle that holds it's value better than a 4WD Tacoma.

When I bought mine in 2007, I was looking at 2005-2006's with 30-50,000 miles going for damned near the same as a brand new one.

My 2007 with 45,000 miles still blue books at $22-24000.

I agree, my Colorado is worth about $12,500 right now, hence why I plan on running it until it dies.

sjc3081
04-04-12, 13:23
Thread drift
Toyota has a TSB on Tacoma's if you think your trucks rear sags under load they will upgrade your rear springs ,free,with higher payload rating. Getting done on mine next week.

Jer
04-04-12, 13:45
Thread drift
Toyota has a TSB on Tacoma's if you think your trucks rear sags under load they will upgrade your rear springs ,free,with higher payload rating. Getting done on mine next week.

It's not a recall (not that you said it was, just clarifying for those reading) and you can either choose to do it or not. It replaces the 3-leaf with a 4-leaf which will handle heavy loads better but the trade off is a firmer ride normally as well. Something to keep in mind because I already feel like my Tacoma's ride is plenty firm and am not sure I want it to be increased even though I pull trailers and such.

madisonsfinest
04-04-12, 14:14
I like the TSB for the extra spring
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefd1192-9d95-f623.jpg

Mark/MO
04-04-12, 18:03
My 2008 quad cab Tacoma is 4WD with the V6 and automatic. I get around 17-18 mpg city and 22-24 mpg highway. A combination of probably 60- 70% highway seems to average about 20 mpg or so with my driving habits.
Hope that helps you.

buckshot1220
04-04-12, 19:20
Thanks for the replies. It's looking more and more like I'll be going the route of a Tacoma.

Some cool pics some of you have posted as well. Has anyone seen the Pyrite Mica color? I saw it in person and I think it would look bada$$ with blacked out wheels. My current Wrangler is Sahara Tan with black wheels, I love the utilitarian look.

Packman73
04-04-12, 19:39
Since everyone's posting pics...:D

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Mother_s_Day_2010_029.JPG (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81194/cat/500)

rob_s
04-14-12, 04:21
Packer, are those wheels & tires off of an FJ?

Packman73
04-14-12, 09:56
Packer, are those wheels & tires off of an FJ?

Yeah, they're Trail Teams. Expensive, but guys are getting the silver ones for cheaper and powder-coating them.

Packman73
04-14-12, 11:06
That pic shows the center caps but I run them without.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Pack_s_Prerunner_0041.JPG (http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/239676/cat/500)

SoDak
04-25-12, 17:57
I got bored yesterday and headed over to the toyota dealership to look at a tacoma just for fun. They had a new regular cab one with four wheel drive for what i thought was a reasonable price. Since I was just looking for fun I decided to not bother a salesman and just decided to peek inside the one on the showroom floor (this one was a four door). The first thing I noticed getting in is that the interior doesn't seem that friendly for someone of my size(6'3", 180lbs). Even with the steering wheel up and the seat all the way back, I still seemed like my thighs were almost touching the steering wheel and getting in and out of it wasn't the easiest compared to other pickups I've used (even my old dakota). Are these pickups just that small on the inside? Kind of a shame if they are since I was somewhat interested in looking at one when I can afford to buy.

DeltaSierra
04-25-12, 18:06

Toyota does make a four-door Taco with a manual transmission - I know that for sure, as a friend of mine drives one...

Jer
04-25-12, 21:28
I got bored yesterday and headed over to the toyota dealership to look at a tacoma just for fun. They had a new regular cab one with four wheel drive for what i thought was a reasonable price. Since I was just looking for fun I decided to not bother a salesman and just decided to peek inside the one on the showroom floor (this one was a four door). The first thing I noticed getting in is that the interior doesn't seem that friendly for someone of my size(6'3", 180lbs). Even with the steering wheel up and the seat all the way back, I still seemed like my thighs were almost touching the steering wheel and getting in and out of it wasn't the easiest compared to other pickups I've used (even my old dakota). Are these pickups just that small on the inside? Kind of a shame if they are since I was somewhat interested in looking at one when I can afford to buy.

I don't find the interior restrictive at all. I have an access cab though so maybe it's a difference between the regular cab and the access cab. Dunno.

Packman73
04-25-12, 21:44
Weird. I'm 6'2", 195 and the double cab Tacoma fits me like a glove. It's never going to feel like a full-size truck becasuse it's not but there's plenty of space for me.

Jer
04-25-12, 22:07
Weird. I'm 6'2", 195 and the double cab Tacoma fits me like a glove. It's never going to feel like a full-size truck becasuse it's not but there's plenty of space for me.

Yeah, I'm an inch or so shorter than you guys but I'm all torso and it fits me well. I also am much closer to 300lbs than you guys and I still feel like the truck isn't terribly confined.

SoDak
04-25-12, 22:26
I'll have to swing by the dealership on Friday and try to sit in one again (both a regular cab and extended cab). I know it isn't going to fit like a full size pickup, but my old dakota never seemed to give up too much room compared to a full size (not saying the dakota is better, it's the only mid-size pickup I have any experience with). I'll try to report back after getting to play with a Tacoma more. Maybe I didn't have things adjusted right when I got in it.

Jer
04-25-12, 22:28
I'll have to swing by the dealership on Friday and try to sit in one again (both a regular cab and extended cab). I know it isn't going to fit like a full size pickup, but my old dakota never seemed to give up too much room compared to a full size (not saying the dakota is better, it's the only mid-size pickup I have any experience with). I'll try to report back after getting to play with a Tacoma more. Maybe I didn't have things adjusted right when I got in it.

Take the time to set your seat right too. What year was your Dakota? I had a 2000 extended cab and wouldn't say it was any more roomy than my Tacoma.

SoDak
04-25-12, 22:35
My dakota was a 97 extended cab. Maybe cramped isn't the best term. It just seemed like the steering wheel wasn't high enough for me to clear my legs and knees well. Moving the seat ahead seemed to help, but then it was hard to get in and out. However, I'd like to play with one some more and see if I had things adjusted wrong.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-26-12, 02:01
I currently drive an 06 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi. I get on avg 13MPG, and when Im home I drive to empty every week. Its costing me $400 a month in gas and is killing me. The resale value in the few years Ive owned it has dropped considerably, and its still in cherry condition with under 75k miles. I need a truck and I need 4wd, but the Ram is just too big and bad on gas. The 4wd Extended cab Tacoma seems to be my best bet. It will offer better gas mileage, a smaller size, and enough power and bed space to still get my chores done. Plus, it will hold its value better than my Dodge has. Good luck to you OP, post some pics if you end up getting yours.

rob_s
04-26-12, 05:26
I currently drive an 06 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Hemi. I get on avg 13MPG, and when Im home I drive to empty every week. Its costing me $400 a month in gas and is killing me. The resale value in the few years Ive owned it has dropped considerably, and its still in cherry condition with under 75k miles. I need a truck and I need 4wd, but the Ram is just too big and bad on gas. The 4wd Extended cab Tacoma seems to be my best bet. It will offer better gas mileage, a smaller size, and enough power and bed space to still get my chores done. Plus, it will hold its value better than my Dodge has. Good luck to you OP, post some pics if you end up getting yours.

FWIW, I get 17 mpg in my 2WD quad cab short bed Taco. If you go 4wd and long bed yours will be worse (truck weighs more). My friends with newer Rams are getting 17 mpg as well, which has me looking at the Ram Express (also priced around what the Taco is).

Resale value is a concern, however, I admit. The Taco appears to have held it's rather well and the Ram I know will plummet 50% 25 yards from the showroom floor.

Packman73
04-26-12, 09:03
FWIW, I get 17 mpg in my 2WD quad cab short bed Taco. If you go 4wd and long bed yours will be worse (truck weighs more). My friends with newer Rams are getting 17 mpg as well, which has me looking at the Ram Express (also priced around what the Taco is).

Resale value is a concern, however, I admit. The Taco appears to have held it's rather well and the Ram I know will plummet 50% 25 yards from the showroom floor.

Yeah, I was going to make the same point on gas mileage. I get about the same with the same set-up.

Jer
04-26-12, 10:15

Yeah, I was going to make the same point on gas mileage. I get about the same with the same set-up.

So far I'm getting about the same MPG with a 4x4 Access Cab regular bed (same overall length as their quad w/short bed) 4.0L V6 and a supercharger pulling a small trailer around the city 90% of the time. So I guess don't be too worried about it going down too much if you get a 4x4 version as it seems to be about the same. The additional weight of 4x4 would be more noticeable in city driving but shouldn't be much which is evidenced by the fact that I'm getting about the same as them.

rob_s
04-26-12, 10:27
Driving habits obviously play a big part. I don't know if it's true or not, but I suspect that the Hemi will be pulling less hard, and potentially using less gas, at the same rate of acceleration.

Anyone know if that's the case or not, and can provide backup one way or the other?

C-grunt
04-26-12, 11:37
Driving habits obviously play a big part. I don't know if it's true or not, but I suspect that the Hemi will be pulling less hard, and potentially using less gas, at the same rate of acceleration.

Anyone know if that's the case or not, and can provide backup one way or the other?

More powerful engines will work less to do the same work. But in the case you are talking about I don't think it's a good comparison as the trucks are two different sizes. The newer full size trucks do get better mpg than they used to more because of the new transmissions. I have read of guys with the new 5.0 F150 getting over 20 mpg on the highway and the upper teens in the city.

Driving habits also make a difference. I have a friend with a four door 2wd Taco that averages 20-22 mpg mixed driving because he drives like a grandma. My Infiniti averages about 22 mpg when I treat the onramps like my personal quarter mile and 24 mpg when I don't.

Jer
04-26-12, 11:46
More powerful engines will work less to do the same work.

They also consume more to do less. There's a reason why smaller engines get better MPG than big engines with similar technology. There are rare instances where a larger engine will get better efficiency in rare occasions than a smaller engine but the variables are so wide (trailer weight, incline, temperature, distance, load, gearing, throttle percentage and duration, etc.) that it's really not worth even mentioning. For the average driver larger engines equal lower fuel economy. Larger/heavier vehicles equal even less fuel efficiency.

wingspar
04-26-12, 13:49
2011 Tacoma Access Cab. Bought new last summer. Manual transmission, 4x4, 4 cylinder engine. I get 23 to 24 mpg. The engine you choose will have an effect on milage. Before this one, I had a 1993 Toyota SR5 4x4 with manual transmission and the V-6 engine. I got 19 mpg with it, so the 4 cylinder is an improvement for milage.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/138638464/original.jpg

rob_s
04-26-12, 13:55
They also consume more to do less. There's a reason why smaller engines get better MPG than big engines with similar technology. There are rare instances where a larger engine will get better efficiency in rare occasions than a smaller engine but the variables are so wide (trailer weight, incline, temperature, distance, load, gearing, throttle percentage and duration, etc.) that it's really not worth even mentioning. For the average driver larger engines equal lower fuel economy. Larger/heavier vehicles equal even less fuel efficiency.

and power:weight and flogging the shit out of it doesn't change that? For example, for me to get the Ram up to what I'm used to in the Taco on an on ramp the Taco is spinning up towards redline while the Ram isn't even close. Same thing with passing, etc. To goose the Taco around another car I'm mashing the pedal to the floor.

SoDak
04-26-12, 14:08
Went back to the dealership today and I'm still unsure what to think. I tried all three different cab styles with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way up and my knee still hits the steering wheel when I put my foot on the brake pedal. Maybe I'm just built weird because I just noticed I leave my steering wheel all the way up on my 2007 Ram for driving. I'd still like to try driving a tacoma though and see how if my knee still hits the wheel when braking. I want to like one of these since they seem to have better ground clearance and approach angles than other small and even full size pickups.

DeltaSierra
04-26-12, 17:50
FWIW, I get 17 mpg in my 2WD quad cab short bed Taco.

I get that or better with my 6 cylinder 4Runner, and it weighs significantly more than a 2wd short bed Taco......

:confused:

Jer
04-26-12, 18:05
and power:weight and flogging the shit out of it doesn't change that? For example, for me to get the Ram up to what I'm used to in the Taco on an on ramp the Taco is spinning up towards redline while the Ram isn't even close. Same thing with passing, etc. To goose the Taco around another car I'm mashing the pedal to the floor.

If all you did was drive on on-ramps you might have something. I've had a full size Ram and I have a Tacoma. I've pulled trailers with both and driven w/o as well. What I can tell you is that the Ram won't get anywhere near as good fuel economy as the Tacoma, even the V6. This is if the same person drives both trucks with the same variables.

It should be noted that most engines are most efficient at 100% throttle about 3/4 way to redline so to say that you are mashing the peddle to accelerate doesn't always mean that it's the least efficient way to get to speed. Hyper milers do this regularly and extract every foot out of their gas. It varies from vehicle to vehicle to vehicle and I'm not going to get into specifics because we'll be here all day but I stand by my previous statement that to the average driver a larger engine does NOT equal better fuel economy. If that were the case the smallest engine a manufacturer made would be 6.0L. Instead they have to find a delicate balance between offering vehicles with power for towing and performance (larger engines) with those that get good fuel economy (smaller engines) because there's no magic engine that does both or it would just be in every vehicle.

Packman73
04-26-12, 18:26
I get that or better with my 6 cylinder 4Runner, and it weighs significantly more than a 2wd short bed Taco......

:confused:
I know. It should get way better gas mileage. In my case, my truck has a 3" suspension lift and 33" AT tires but I always use mid-grade or premium fuel.

C-grunt
04-27-12, 01:28

I was talking more along the lines of two engines in the same vehicle. For example the 6 cylinder Wrangler will many times get better mileage than the 4 cylinder. Sometimes the smaller available engine is to small for your needs and will be a hindrance and less efficient.

PaulL
04-27-12, 08:39
Well, it's not a 4WD, double cab, or a V6, but it's new so I'm posting it anyway. :D

2012 2.7L 2WD access cab

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/truthseeker1106/Junk/8663ec5d.jpg

I didn't get to measure the first tank, but I got 21.6 MPG (city) on the second tank. Working on the third tank now. I wish I had bought a Tacoma a long time ago. This thing is GREAT.

Jer
04-27-12, 10:47
I was talking more along the lines of two engines in the same vehicle. For example the 6 cylinder Wrangler will many times get better mileage than the 4 cylinder. Sometimes the smaller available engine is to small for your needs and will be a hindrance and less efficient.

I'm not going to keep having this conversation with someone who refuses to believe facts and likes to think fringe examples somehow represent absolutes.

C-grunt
04-27-12, 12:14
I'm not going to keep having this conversation with someone who refuses to believe facts and likes to think fringe examples somehow represent absolutes.

I'm not trying to disagree with anything you said. My original post was in response to Rob_s when he was comparing the Taco to the Ram. He states he gets poor mpg out of his V6 Taco and was looking at the Ram because his friends get similar mileage. I told him its not a good comparison because he was looking at two different sized vehicles. If he is getting 17mpg in his Taco he sure as hell isn't going to get it in a Ram because of his driving habits or possibly towing.

At least thats what I meant to say, I guess it came across different than I wanted.

I also never stated that my example of the Wrangler was somehow representative of all vehicles.

Jer
04-27-12, 12:22
I'm not trying to disagree with anything you said. My original post was in response to Rob_s when he was comparing the Taco to the Ram. He states he gets poor mpg out of his V6 Taco and was looking at the Ram because his friends get similar mileage. I told him its not a good comparison because he was looking at two different sized vehicles. If he is getting 17mpg in his Taco he sure as hell isn't going to get it in a Ram because of his driving habits or possibly towing.

Then we're in agreement.

DeltaSierra
04-27-12, 18:10
I know. It should get way better gas mileage. In my case, my truck has a 3" suspension lift and 33" AT tires but I always use mid-grade or premium fuel.

Wow...!

That isn't bad....

DragonDoc
04-29-12, 09:09
I have a 2010 Tacoma (manual trans, 4x4, access cab, 4 cyl.) that gets me 350 miles between fill ups or close to 24 MPG. I do a lot of driving from Fort Hood to San Antonio. Gas mileage is pretty good. The wife is driving it while I'm deployed and she fills up once a week while driving in San Antonio.

C-grunt
04-29-12, 09:58
I just talked to a friend of mine who has a late model 4x4 4Runner with a small lift and 30ish inch tires. He averages 17 mpg with almost all city driving. I know it's not a Tacoma but they are similar.

DeltaSierra
04-29-12, 09:58

I drove a mid-2000s Dodge 2500 Hemi for a while - I'm glad it was a company truck and they covered the gas - that thing probably got close to twelve or thirteen miles per gallon... I don't care how good of a driver you are, you are never going to be able to overcome the fact that you have a huge V8 sucking your tank dry....

buckshot1220
05-01-12, 20:57
Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't gotten a chance to drive one yet, but I found a few unlocked on a dealer lot and climbed inside. I think the double-cab has plenty of space for me in all aspects. I move in two weeks to start my new gig, so it won't be long after that I will pull the trigger on a new Tacoma.

For those interested, yes they do make a double-cab with a stick. You cannot get it with the Off-Road pack, but you can get it in the SR5 and Sport pack in both 2 and 4WD. I did manage to find a nice Double Cab TRD Sport 4WD w/ stick in White, sweet truck.