PDA

View Full Version : SBR'ing my AR, need input on caliber.

dyegator
04-03-12, 18:29
Ok, so I was selling my spare AR to a buddy, but now he can't buy it. I have decided to keep it and SBR it and am trying to decide between 300blk or 5.56.
Either way, going with a Noveske barrel more than likely. If I go with 5.56 it will probably be a 12.5" barrel and would like to have the same with 300blk, but I don't know enough about the 300blk to make an intelligent decision on it.
Any input and info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

johnson
04-03-12, 19:22
Ok, so I was selling my spare AR to a buddy, but now he can't buy it. I have decided to keep it and SBR it and am trying to decide between 300blk or 5.56.
Either way, going with a Noveske barrel more than likely. If I go with 5.56 it will probably be a 12.5" barrel and would like to have the same with 300blk, but I don't know enough about the 300blk to make an intelligent decision on it.
Any input and info would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

For general shooting, .223/5.56 will be much cheaper. Send in the Form 1 ASAP with 12.5" barrel length in 5.56mm . You can build a 300 BLK upper later after more research since it's going to take at least 5-6 months for the stamp.

Hmac
04-03-12, 19:31
You can shoot either caliber from your SBR-to-be. You may register it as either 5.56 or 300BLK but once you get your stamp you can put whatever caliber or length barrel (or upper) on it that you want. The NFA stipulates that you must "retain control" of the parts necessary to return it to its registered configuration, but it's legal for you to shoot any caliber or barrel length.

Iraqgunz
04-04-12, 02:30
I would do the initial build in 5.56. Down the road once you have some more money, time, experience, whatever, then you can get a 300 upper. I can shoot my SBR well enough that when I finally drop the 300 upper on there I should be good to go.

Obviously there will be some change in ballistics which is something I will have to get used to.

rob_s
04-04-12, 03:16
I would do the initial build in 5.56. Down the road once you have some more money, time, experience, whatever, then you can get a 300 upper. I can shoot my SBR well enough that when I finally drop the 300 upper on there I should be good to go.

Obviously there will be some change in ballistics which is something I will have to get used to.

Pretty much agree with this.

dyegator
04-04-12, 08:47
Thanks gentlemen, that is the answer that I was expecting.
I appreciate the help!