PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 10.5 switchblock and AAC SDN-6

USMC_JA
04-03-12, 20:52
I'm currently awaiting my stamp for a 10.5 noveske switchblock. I have decided to go ahead and get in line for a suppressor as well. [Insert bitching about BATF wait times here.] Was considering the AAC SDN-6 in lieu of the M4-2k in order to gain multicaliber flexibility. However, tonight I read some Internet scuttlebutt about the SB and SDN-6 not playing well together. I generally trust things I read on this sight more than others, so I thought I'd ask.

Anybody have any knowledge they can share? Many thanks, if so.

Ironman8
04-03-12, 20:59
No firsthand experience for me, but I see no reason why it wouldn't... :confused:

Suppressor causes increased backpressure ----> Switchblock essentially provides a smaller port to counter-balance the increase in pressure...what part of that wouldn't work?

JasonM
04-03-12, 21:10
The one setup like that that I have actually used worked very well. 10.5 switchblock with 'N-6 can shooting Winchester M855.

With lower pressure ammo (some .223 plinking ammo, etc) combined with the larger bore and volume of the 762-SDN-6 (and therefore lower backpressure) MIGHT give you cycling issues.

Watrdawg
04-05-12, 07:14
The one setup like that that I have actually used worked very well. 10.5 switchblock with 'N-6 can shooting Winchester M855.

With lower pressure ammo (some .223 plinking ammo, etc) combined with the larger bore and volume of the 762-SDN-6 (and therefore lower backpressure) MIGHT give you cycling issues.Just a thought but if that were to happen couldn't you just turn the SB to unsupressed to compensate for the lower back pressure?

JasonM
04-05-12, 09:15
[/B]Just a thought but if that were to happen couldn't you just turn the SB to unsupressed to compensate for the lower back pressure?

Absolutely. But a 30 cal can will give you less back pressure anyway, minimizing the main need and benefit of the SB.

Watrdawg
04-05-12, 09:19
Makes sense

USMC_JA
04-05-12, 09:40
Absolutely. But a 30 cal can will give you less back pressure anyway, minimizing the main need and benefit of the SB.

Thanks for the discourse and explanation, Gentlemen. That is the conclusion I came to as well. Since I'm locked into the switchblock, might as well get the type of can that it was designed around. Otherwise, I'll end up chasing my tail.

Watrdawg
04-05-12, 10:53
I'm waiting on my Noveske 10.5 w/SB stamp also. I did purchase the M42K for it and now I wish I would have gotten a .30 cal supressor instead. I plan on purchasing a 300blk upper soon and would have been able to use a .30 cal suppressor for both weapons.

Ironman8
04-05-12, 11:18
FWIW, I have done plenty of reading on suppressed/SBR setups, and lets face it, the reason you're paying the premium for the SB is to "tune" the gas system for either a more optimal cyclic rate or for a softer shooting rig.

With that in mind, after reading Grant's thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33743) and conversing with Grant about the SB's performance, I have come to the understanding that the SB is actually slightly overgassed when compared to the "optimization" of the gas system that Grant has achieved.

My recommendation is that, unless you think that you'll be getting more than one can anyways, if you want the N6, then I would go for it. It will definitely be a more versatile can...

If you get it and find out that the system is actually slightly UNDER-gassed, then I would try the LMT Enhanced Carrier with standard bolt from Noveske. This carrier seems to be the key to the optimization that Grant achieved in his thread that I linked above.

My guess is that even with the N6, you will be fine with the standard carrier, and have an even more optimal system than what you would have with a 5.56 can attached.

(I would strongly suggest you read Grant's thread before you make a decision)

USMC_JA
04-05-12, 11:20
I'm waiting on my Noveske 10.5 w/SB stamp also. I did purchase the M42K for it and now I wish I would have gotten a .30 cal supressor instead. I plan on purchasing a 300blk upper soon and would have been able to use a .30 cal suppressor for both weapons.

Copy. However, at this point I have no plans for a 300blk and really do not have a good host for a .30 cal suppressor. I already have one 5.56 Noveske with a 51T mount and will have another as soon as my stamp comes back. Although I WANT a 7.62 AR and will scratch that itch when funds allow, as of now, the lighter, shorter, more effective, and better matched (to the switchblock 10.5 gun) M42k seemed the better way to go. I understand the benefits are slight/minimal compared to the SDN-6 and I am sacrificing multi-cal flexibility, but they still militate in favor of the dedicated 5.56 can in my situation in my judgment. At least that is my reasoning. [Yeah, I know. A fool and his money, right?] I'll undoubtedly end up with a 7.62 AR down the road and can revisit the matter then. There will probably be a new hotness in 7.62 cans at the time as well that I can throw in the mix then.

USMC_JA
04-05-12, 11:59
(I would strongly suggest you read Grant's thread before you make a decision)

Looks like we cross posted. I'll be sure and check it out. Thanks for the guidance.