PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stuck Free-Float Handguards: Any Ideas?

Kronos451
04-04-12, 12:04
I'm trying to remove a Rock River Arms free-float tube that's basically a thick metal cylinder with some knurling and a sling swivel, and do so without ruining it (I'd like to resell it to someone looking for a hunting setup, 3-gun, etc). This thing is seriously refusing to budge. Now mind you, I'm 6'0", 286 lbs, former Elite-class powerlifter with large hands and a bad attitude, but apparently I'm no match for the PCP-addled Incredible Hulk that screwed this bitch on here. Does anyone know of a tool that's designed for removing free-float tubes? I seem to vaguely recall a tool that works much like an oil-filter wrench, but that won't scratch the cylinder. Does this ring a bell with any of you? I'd rather not have to break out the pipe wrench and go full-redneck on this thing if I don't have to. Any ideas you might have would be much appreciated!

K

ASH556
04-04-12, 12:08
The tool you're referencing is called a strap wrench.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/493/493447.jpg

However, the RRA's use YHM FF tubes that have a lock ring between the upper receiver and the tube. YHM makes a wrench (not exactly a spanner wrench, but similar. Back the ring off towards the receiver while using the strap wrench to turn the tube in the other direction. Some of the newer ones have anti-rotational screws, so make sure you take those out first.

Of course, all of this should be done with the upper properly locked in a vise. If you have doubts, perhaps you should send it to a certified armorer to remove it for you.

Iraqgunz
04-04-12, 12:13
First off,

Right tools for right job. If it does indeed having a locking ring like the YHM, you will need that gay ass wrench.

You need to make sure that the upper is secured properly.

They may have used Rocksett on that barrel nut/ forearm. In that case you will need to soak it in Kroil or hot water.

FLHXSG
04-04-12, 13:15
I'm going to remove a dcm float tube from my upper. when i installed it i used loctite. strep wrench and butane torch to break the loctite

Kronos451
04-04-12, 13:29
It definitely has that ring on it, and I'm guessing might have been loctite'd or something similar as well. I'll run down and get a strap wrench and I guess I'll order the YHM Tactical Gay Ass Wrench as well.

I'm locking the upper down in a jig that's meant for just such a purpose, so we're good to go there. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I was just hoping I didn't have to buy yet another brand-specific, single-purpose tool, but... Guess I'm selling the wrench with the tube now. :laugh:

feedramp
04-04-12, 14:23
I guess I'll order the YHM Tactical Gay Ass Wrench as well. :haha: awesome

tsconver
04-04-12, 15:43
I used a straight screwdriver and small hammer and tapped the lock ring to get it to come loose.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk