PDA

View Full Version : so many shades of green???

kenndapp
04-05-12, 03:57
i am putting together my first rig and while shopping around i noticed that there are multiple shades of green for just about every thing. there is od green, ranger green, and smoke green for a lot of what i am looking at. i googled around for a bit but had a hard time determining any difference between the shades of green via google images and so forth. could any one help me understand the difference? simply put.....what is the darkest or richest shade of green between the ones mentioned? thank you.

Ouroborous
04-05-12, 06:34
Ranger green is the darkest almost brownish. OD green is the "richest", and actually green, smoke green is a mix between the two but is a closer match to OD, and foliage green is gray.

jstyer
04-05-12, 06:35
Ranger green is the darkest almost brownish. OD green is the "richest" and actually green and foliage is gray.

For what it's worth, in my experience the above info is dead on.

kenndapp
04-05-12, 23:15
Does the ranger green run the same color manufacturer to manufacturer? Or is everbody's definition of ranger green or od green a little different?

TehLlama
04-05-12, 23:21
It all varies, even dye lot to dye lot - however, that small variance can actually help it blend in a lot, and really looks fine after you use it in the sun or get it dirty a few times.

kenndapp
04-06-12, 03:46
It all varies, even dye lot to dye lot - however, that small variance can actually help it blend in a lot, and really looks fine after you use it in the sun or get it dirty a few times.

thank you. i think i am sold on ranger green. so it is DARKER than other smoke and od green?

J_Dub_503
04-06-12, 04:58
To reiterate what was said already,
Ranger Green = Brown
OD Green = Dark green
Smoke Green = Brownish Green
Foliage Green = Gray (looks like the underside of a fresh blackberry or maple leaf)

http://img.tapatalk.com/4736ca4a-be44-ca54.jpg

warchild09
04-06-12, 05:16
If you are looking at RG I know Blueforce Gear/Tacitcal Tailor/T.A.G will match up. Paraclete's Smoke Green and HSGI's Ranger Green match but differ from the other mentioned brands. I'll try and post a pic later on of my gear. It's mostly in RG but there are some "Smoke" and Foliage parts in there.

Bob-USMC
04-06-12, 10:02
IMHO as long as you are running earth-tone gear, you stand a great chance of blending in. I wouldn't bend yourself out of shape trying to get all your gear to match up exactly.

militarymoron
04-06-12, 10:10
mixing different shades gives you a camo pattern for free. :)

ST911
04-06-12, 10:18
And to make it all more complicated, don't forget the khakis that have a distinctly green hue, truer to the historical origin.