PDA

View Full Version : New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Pages : [1] 2

outrider627
04-05-12, 11:09
S&W has started posting teaser pics of a new M&P on their facebook page.

Here's the first one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/536648_10150720985908960_97239338959_9384757_1698249332_n.jpg

Second teaser:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/485652_10150723118848960_97239338959_9391410_1676565391_n.jpg

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383527_10150725138478960_97239338959_9398591_1898658767_n.jpg

Final Pic:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524149_10150736570913960_97239338959_9445211_1805949584_n.jpg

KACVESKE
04-05-12, 11:15
S&W has started posting teaser pics of a new M&P on their facebook page.

Here's the first one:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/536648_10150720985908960_97239338959_9384757_1698249332_n.jpg

deeper cut cocking serrations???

saddlerocker
04-05-12, 11:15
Some type of compact?
The slide stop looks far back on the frame.

The elusive single stack 9mm? Or a copy of the new XDs, a super small 45

outrider627
04-05-12, 11:19
S&W removed the pic after 12 minutes. They'll be posting another one tomorrow.

Kevin P
04-05-12, 11:29
Maybe its a m&p that does not have accuracy issues at 25yds.......

cheapsandwich
04-05-12, 11:35
Every time I hear of this I assume a Bigger Bodyguard in 9mm with M&P styling.

brickboy240
04-05-12, 11:36
Maybe a better stock trigger?

Maybe someone at S&W bought a PPQ and took note of the trigger?

Hey...we can dream...right? LOL

- brickboy240

Jaysop
04-05-12, 11:39
Wasn't what ever this thing is supposed to be announced already?

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-05-12, 11:41
Isn't that where the safety usually is, but there is nothing connecting it to the safety pivot pin?

Guns-up.50
04-05-12, 11:45
could be me or the pic but the rear sight looks moved foreward??

SpookyPistolero
04-05-12, 13:31
could be me or the pic but the rear sight looks moved foreward??

A factory RMR-ready model would be cool. Assuming the sight is actually forward.

Honestly I'd be happy with one that could hit the broad side of a barn and didn't require a hundred dollar trigger upgrade.

NCPatrolAR
04-05-12, 16:07
Honestly I'd be happy with one that could hit the broad side of a barn and didn't require a hundred dollar trigger upgrade.

Those have been in production for multiple years now

SpookyPistolero
04-05-12, 16:12
Those have been in production for multiple years now

I'd be willing to try another, but the one I had a year or so ago certainly fell into both those categories.

tb-av
04-05-12, 16:31
Maybe someone will leave one a coffee shop by mistake before the 12th.

mattj
04-05-12, 16:40
Oh please be single stack compact 9.

TAZ
04-05-12, 16:43
A factory RMR-ready model would be cool. Assuming the sight is actually forward.

These would make me consider buying another one of them. My wife loves her 9mm, and in all honesty neither of use have experienced any accuracy issues. It's not a bullseye gun, but then maybe we just suck as shooters :). I did get a trigger job out of the chute though.

Beat Trash
04-05-12, 17:26
I'm betting on a sub compact M&P 9mm/40. Been told that the prototype has existed for a while.

We'll know for sure on the 12th.

SuperiorDG
04-05-12, 17:48
I would bet it's something to compete with the Ruger LC9 and that hole is one of those gun lock things CA requires.

NCPatrolAR
04-05-12, 18:04
I'd be willing to try another, but the one I had a year or so ago certainly fell into both those categories.

I've been using M&Ps at work for a few years now and have had personal ones before we adopted them at work. IME, the guns with accuracy issues tend to be due to the loose nut behind the trigger and nothing else.

As far as triggers go; the first run of 45s had horrible triggers but the other guns had decent triggers on them. Yeah, the reset is faint, but that is easily fixed by shooting the gun and learning the reset point.

jmoney
04-05-12, 18:10
am I the only one that still wants a 10mm?

QuackXP
04-05-12, 18:15
If it is a single stack 9mm I hope they make a model without the internal lock, magazine disconnect, magazine safety and mechanical LCI. If so Ill consider it. If not I'm betting a Kahr is in my future.

Chuck_B
04-05-12, 18:17
It is very likely the rumored single stack 9mm. I heard from a a friend at DeSantis Gunhide that they have been sent one so the can get started on a holster for it. He couldn't go into detail, but apparently it's going to really be something special. He compared it to the Ruger LC9 and Kahr, but much better he said. He said this will be just what we have all been waiting for.......lets hope so.

mikeith
04-05-12, 18:46
Oh please let it be a single stack 9!! My skinny ass has trouble consealing anything in The summer if it isn't at apendex iwb lol

vaglocker
04-05-12, 20:13
He compared it to the Ruger LC9 and Kahr, but much better he said. He said this will be just what we have all been waiting for.......lets hope so.

That something already exists, the Walther PPS :D

Wolvee
04-05-12, 22:24
I still think it's going to be some type of NiB finish for their product line. Companies like to stick with name themes when they have pat. and trademarks. They already have something called Frog SHIELD or something.

trob_205
04-05-12, 22:32
I still think it's going to be some type of NiB finish for their product line. Companies like to stick with name themes when they have pat. and trademarks. They already have something called Frog SHIELD or something.

at our store we currently stock FS M&P 9mm and 40 SW in nickel boron

bigkracka
04-06-12, 01:54
I've tried to like S&W and have had several new revolvers and M&P pistols over the years, most were sent back to service for one problem or another. Had a bodyguard revolver where the internal lock crumbled to pieces and locked up the gun. M&P with a bad rear sight, another with rust in the striker channel. A 642 had the barrel split after the first trip to the range. All were new guns. Their service is great cause it has to be!

Of all the firearms I've bought, Smith is the only make I've had to return for service.

SuperiorDG
04-06-12, 08:06
I've tried to like S&W and have had several new revolvers and M&P pistols over the years, most were sent back to service for one problem or another. Had a bodyguard revolver where the internal lock crumbled to pieces and locked up the gun. M&P with a bad rear sight, another with rust in the striker channel. A 642 had the barrel split after the first trip to the range. All were new guns. Their service is great cause it has to be!

Of all the firearms I've bought, Smith is the only make I've had to return for service.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like a lot of bad luck. I have never had a problem with any of my S&Ws.

Nemecsek
04-06-12, 09:07
It's obviously a warning! The Glock design team who came up with the Gen 4, who were subsequently run off, were hired by S&W to make similar "improvements" to the M&P...

tb-av
04-06-12, 09:26
From the art work across all the pages and the video of mass appeal it seems like it going to be something other than just a new pistol.

Like the Apple experience.. .The S&W experience.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-06-12, 10:33
Maybe it's a line of cheap chinese shit with SW branding....oh wait...they've already done that.

outrider627
04-06-12, 11:06
Second teaser has been posted. I'll add it to the first post.

Greg Kulbick
04-06-12, 11:42
The slide stop in the teaser pic is definitely further to the rear of the slide than the current offerings. Looks like Sig placement above the thumb knuckle.

bdcheung
04-06-12, 12:14
The slide stop in the teaser pic is definitely further to the rear of the slide than the current offerings. Looks like Sig placement above the thumb knuckle.

1) Might be helpful for those who rest their thumbs on the slide stop and accidentally prevent the slide from locking back, but....
2) Looks pretty inconveniently placed (having never handled the gun myself).

Steve S.
04-06-12, 14:22
IME, the guns with accuracy issues tend to be due to the loose nut behind the trigger and nothing else.

After reading through the M&P Accuracy Issues thread, I kind of wondered that as well. Only because I didn't see many examples of a ransom rest being used. I can't shoot well enough at 25 yards to blame the gun. I think a rest has to be used before blaming the platform.

However, I do think the issue exists. It seems SW replaces some barrels and slides and others they just send back. I think it just may be a case where everyone thinks their gun is affected when they hear about the issues and then don't shoot tight groups at 25 yards. While working at 25 yards, I've found my brain wanting to blame the M&P occasionally, but I know deep down it's poor operator performance. It doesn't help that I group slightly worse with my Glocks. :-)

bdcheung
04-06-12, 14:24
There are a few people who fired an M&P 9 side-by-side with a Glock 17/19 and demonstrated better precision with the Glock.

That's still not as scientific as a ransom rest, since you're still dealing with a human holding a gun pulling a trigger, but it's another data point.

ralph
04-06-12, 14:57
I've been using M&Ps at work for a few years now and have had personal ones before we adopted them at work. IME, the guns with accuracy issues tend to be due to the loose nut behind the trigger and nothing else.

As far as triggers go; the first run of 45s had horrible triggers but the other guns had decent triggers on them. Yeah, the reset is faint, but that is easily fixed by shooting the gun and learning the reset point.

I'm pretty sure Randy Lee has proved otherwise, and I believe he used a ransom rest..The fact is, some FS9's have a accuracy problem that's due to it unlocking early, others don't, I have one that does, My .45 mid, will shoot rings around it at 25yds, offhand, so will my PPQ, so, I doubt it's always the loose nut behind the trigger..

GJM
04-06-12, 16:15

While you may have experienced good accuracy with your M&P 9 pistols, as regards current production M&P 9 pistols, getting one that will shoot multiple loads under four inches at 25 yards, to the same POI, is the exception. That is based on a sample of over ten new 9mm pistols shot at 25 yards over the last year. In each instance, I used other pistols, Glock and HK, to shoot reference groups and confirm it was the MP pistols and not the shooter or ammo. My experience is not an outlier, based on others also testing the pistols, and getting similar results. Obviously S&W understands the pistols have problems, as they replaced the slide or barrel on four pistols I recently returned to them.

Until such time as S&W really fixes the problem, or Randy Lee releases his barrels, all my 9mm M&P pistols are in a box. It is a shame, because S&W had the first new pistol with so much right, and the obvious opportunity to equal or displace a Glock, but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, by their inability to consistently produce these pistols with accuracy a serious shooter expects in this class of pistol.

LHQuattro
04-06-12, 16:28
[QUOTE=GJM;1276489]While you may have experienced good accuracy with your M&P 9 pistols, as regards current production M&P 9 pistols, getting one that will shoot multiple loads under four inches at 25 yards, to the same POI, is the exception. That is based on a sample of over ten new 9mm pistols shot at 25 yards over the last year. In each instance, I used other pistols, Glock and HK, to shoot reference groups and confirm it was the MP pistols and not the shooter or ammo. My experience is not an outlier, based on others also testing the pistols, and getting similar results. Obviously S&W understands the pistols have problems, as they replaced the slide or barrel on four pistols I recently returned to them.

QUOTE]

+1. Almost identical experience here, with about the same sample size. I love the pistol, but its been an extremely frustrating experience. Especially to go to any random Glock 19 (including ones with the NY1 trigger) and shoot groups 1/2 the size of my nice "Apexed" out M&Ps. Most of my competitive buddies that have dabbled in M&P9s have the same experience. Conversely, the M&P45s have shot like lasers....for the same shooters.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-06-12, 16:41
The first pic at least peeks my interest a bit, you can see something is different. The second pic is what, the grip?

If SW is following the Apple model, here's hoping the last part of the presentation starts with "Oh, one more thing....."

High Altitude
04-06-12, 17:18

Is that a slide stop or a small thumb safety?

Looks like a thumb safety to me. (ie Ruger LC9 type thumb safety)

orionz06
04-06-12, 18:35
IME, the guns with accuracy issues tend to be due to the loose nut behind the trigger and nothing else.

Except the fact that there are in fact guns with accuracy issues out there. I have one that shoots sub 2" groups and another that shoots 8" groups. The control gun, a G17, shoots 2-3" groups...

So while I agree that too many people just flat out can't ****ing shoot the accuracy issues are in fact a real problem.

turbo38gn
04-06-12, 20:33
Since I held the new gun in my hand today....... ..... I will say this much... sell your LC9's...... :cool: It feels very good in the hand, almost a full size grip, single stack, so it's thin, with a compact barrel, a little wider than the LC9 slide... the trigger felt pretty good... but guys have to remember the class of gun it is.. it's not a 1911... I like it, but I only had about 3-4 minutes before I had to abruptly give it up..Oh yaa.. the pinky has a place to rest, with my big paws, I liked that..

turbo38gn
04-06-12, 20:41
Is that a slide stop or a small thumb safety?

Looks like a thumb safety to me. (ie Ruger LC9 type thumb safety)

That is a thumb safety, the layout is pretty much the same as a reg M&P.... maybe a 3" barrel.. pretty much a compact M&P just narrower and maybe a tad shorter barrel but felt like a FS grip, only narrow.

High Altitude
04-06-12, 21:38
That is a thumb safety, the layout is pretty much the same as a reg M&P.... maybe a 3" barrel.. pretty much a compact M&P just narrower and maybe a tad shorter barrel but felt like a FS grip, only narrow.

Thanks for the info.

I don't like that it has a thumb safety unless it is SAO which I doubt. Hopefully it will be an option like on the other M&Ps.

turbo38gn
04-06-12, 22:39
Thanks for the info.

I don't like that it has a thumb safety unless it is SAO which I doubt. Hopefully it will be an option like on the other M&Ps.

domn't use it...

High Altitude
04-06-12, 22:59
domn't use it...

and if it some how gets activated, but since I never use it I never bother to swipe it off during the draw and then it doesn't go bang.

No thanks.

G34Shooter
04-07-12, 00:59
Since I held the new gun in my hand today....... and took a quick picture with my phone cam... before the big boss walked in..... I will say this much... sell your LC9's...... :cool: It feels very good in the hand, almost a full size grip, single stack, so it's thin, with a compact barrel, a little wider than the LC9 slide... the trigger felt pretty good... but guys have to remember the class of gun it is.. it's not a 1911... I like it, but I only had about 3-4 minutes before I had to abruptly give it up..Oh yaa.. the pinky has a place to rest, with my big paws, I liked that..

Is this thing small enough for pocket carry comfortably?

Cokeman
04-07-12, 01:11
I'm guessing no.

RogerinTPA
04-07-12, 03:21
Sorry to hear. Sounds like a lot of bad luck. I have never had a problem with any of my S&Ws.

Same here, and I own 4 of them purchased around five years ago.

There are a few people who fired an M&P 9 side-by-side with a Glock 17/19 and demonstrated better precision with the Glock.

I've had the opposite observation. I know several former Glock 19 & 23 owners that have switch to the M&P after shooting my M&P9 & 40. A few 1911 converts as well after shooting my FS M&P45.;)

Cokeman
04-07-12, 03:35
Since I held the new gun in my hand today....... and took a quick picture with my phone cam... before the big boss walked in..... I will say this much... sell your LC9's...... :cool: It feels very good in the hand, almost a full size grip, single stack, so it's thin, with a compact barrel, a little wider than the LC9 slide... the trigger felt pretty good... but guys have to remember the class of gun it is.. it's not a 1911... I like it, but I only had about 3-4 minutes before I had to abruptly give it up..Oh yaa.. the pinky has a place to rest, with my big paws, I liked that..

Do we get to see the picture?

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 06:46
Is this thing small enough for pocket carry comfortably?

Hmmmm, For me, I'd have to say no, it's really about the size of the LC9. But then I have thrown the LC9 in my pocket before. It blows away the LC9 in feel and quality build, trigger also is miles better.

Do we get to see the picture?

I want to share it so bad, I'm just afraid I may get someone in trouble if I do.....

QuackXP
04-07-12, 08:42
I'm hoping that they do make a model without the manual safety. Id love to have a single stack 9mm but if I cant get one without a manual safety im still going with a Kahr.

Dos Cylindros
04-07-12, 10:07
I'm hoping that they do make a model without the manual safety. Id love to have a single stack 9mm but if I cant get one without a manual safety im still going with a Kahr.

I agree with this. My issue gun is an M&P 40, and I own an M&P 45 full size as my night stand gun. I would like very much to stick with the M&P platform for my off duty gun, but if I can't get it without a manual safety, or at least one I can remove (Like my M&P 45) then I will pass and get a PM9. Don't know why the would not just stick with the same manual safety design as currently on the M&P's.

tx1021
04-07-12, 10:10
Thanks J ;)

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 10:16
:D
Thanks Jcotton ;)

:D:D I knew someone could figure it out, welcome, keep it to yourself please..

tx1021
04-07-12, 10:25

Will do and thanks again. I also edited my previous post as to not make it too easy for someone else.

Drew78
04-07-12, 10:40
Does it come with a few holster options in the plastic box?

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 11:03
Does it come with a few holster options in the plastic box?

cardboard box and didn't look in the box, was too busy watching the gun come out to see wwhat was in it... :thank_you2:

Drew78
04-07-12, 11:04
DAMN IT!

thought I found it on PB.....

NCPatrolAR
04-07-12, 11:11
So while I agree that too many people just flat out can't ****ing shoot the accuracy issues are in fact a real problem.

while a problem exists; it's nowhere near as common as some people make it out to be.

outrider627
04-07-12, 11:13
Posted the third teaser to the OP.

outrider627
04-07-12, 11:18

Amazing how quick something can be found online these days. ;)

Joe R.
04-07-12, 11:38
while a problem exists; it's nowhere near as common as some people make it out to be.

I'm not sure how common it may be, but I've been bit by the inconsistent accuracy issues of the M&P9 and know several people who I trust implicitly who have also had issues. I'll stay away until Smith can provide me a gun that doesn't display the same problems.

Striker
04-07-12, 11:50

It may or may not be, but since there is an actual problem, why doesn't S&W rectify it before the guns leave the factory? There's something in the process that isn't working correctly and why give them a pass on a problem they know exists? To make matters worse, until the Apex/Bar-sto barrel comes out, there is no fix for this.

If this new pistol is what every one thinks it is, great. Glock should have done it long ago, but S&W should still address what they know is a problem.

Sam
04-07-12, 12:13
Please keep this thread on the subject of this "SHIELD" topic. There are already threads on "problems" associated with the M&Ps.

MP9
04-07-12, 13:20
Thank you Jack.. ;)

how thin is it?

I was looking for a kahr cm9 these days.. but now I would have to way some more time to find it in a store..
the grip size/heigh seems similar to the m&p9c, isnt it?

how it compare to the kahr cm9/pm9 ? how is the trigger? DAO?

Palmguy
04-07-12, 13:50
Looking forward to width comparisons to the PPS and M&P9c. Very intriguing and a long time coming!

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

catofadiferntskn
04-07-12, 13:58
I really wanted to see this, so I googled M&P Shield... I can't believe that worked.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/04/smith-wesson-m-9mm-shield-single-stack.html

dookie1481
04-07-12, 14:13
I really wanted to see this, so I googled M&P Shield... I can't believe that worked.

http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/04/smith-wesson-m-9mm-shield-single-stack.html

The picture looks very familiar, except with the brightness cranked up :D

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 15:22
Thank you Jack.. ;)

how thin is it?

I was looking for a kahr cm9 these days.. but now I would have to way some more time to find it in a store..
the grip size/heigh seems similar to the m&p9c, isnt it?

how it compare to the kahr cm9/pm9 ? how is the trigger? DAO?

Looking forward to width comparisons to the PPS and M&P9c. Very intriguing and a long time coming!

It's similar to the LC9 in thickness and size, but a much better trigger and the gun feels solid not cheap like the LC9... notice the grip and what looks like a magazine sleeve, maybe for a shorter magazine..

orionz06
04-07-12, 15:26

Agree. I have mentioned to others before that it should be a requirement that you post a pic of a gun you shot well along with your "bad" M&P groups in order to have the posts remain.

Palmguy
04-07-12, 15:41
It's similar to the LC9 in thickness and size, but a much better trigger and the gun feels solid not cheap like the LC9... notice the grip and what looks like a magazine sleeve, maybe for a shorter magazine..

Thanks, good to hear.

DWood
04-07-12, 16:38
Hard to say without an item in the picture to represent scale, but it looks a little bulkier than the LC9.

If it won't carry comfortably in my front cargo pocket, a single stack 9 mm doesn't do much for me. I can't wait to get my hands on one to see.

Sam
04-07-12, 16:52
I was looking for something in that picture for a scale of reference. I noticed that the grip insert is "longer" than that of the compact pistols. It looked as if it's the same grip insert as the one from the full size pistol. I am hoping that the grip is longer than the compact. The circumference or thickness of the compact's grip was never an issue. Its circumference and thickness is actually the same dimension as that of the 1911. Making the grip thinner or smaller may be ruining the feel of the M&P. Sometimes you get past the point of diminishing returns by trying to make the grip smaller.

We shall see when this thing actually hits the store. Just because they're releasing it on 4/12 doesn't mean it will automatically show up at the stores at noon.

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 16:59
Hard to say without an item in the picture to represent scale, but it looks a little bulkier than the LC9.

If it won't carry comfortably in my front cargo pocket, a single stack 9 mm doesn't do much for me. I can't wait to get my hands on one to see.

It's about the same width and size of the LC9, pocket carry is gonna be a little tentative..

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 17:01
I was looking for something in that picture for a scale of reference. I noticed that the grip insert is "longer" than that of the compact pistols. It looked as if it's the same grip insert as the one from the full size pistol. I am hoping that the grip is longer than the compact. The circumference or thickness of the compact's grip was never an issue. Its circumference and thickness is actually the same dimension as that of the 1911. Making the grip thinner or smaller may be ruining the feel of the M&P. Sometimes you get past the point of diminishing returns by trying to make the grip smaller.

We shall see when this thing actually hits the store. Just because they're releasing it on 4/12 doesn't mean it will automatically show up at the stores at noon.

The grip felt like a narrow FS M&P grip. much better than the comnpact. I liked it.

Omega Man
04-07-12, 18:07

Is the trigger action the same as the full-size M&P's?

Web Architect
04-07-12, 18:24
Turbo38gn:

Compare to the PPS?

JML2321
04-07-12, 19:32
Looks like we will know all the details on April 12th

turbo38gn
04-07-12, 19:36

It's a bit different, I didn't get to play long enough
Turbo38gn:

Compare to the PPS?

Almost no experience with a PPS

FlatFender
04-08-12, 13:05
Was anybody able to snag today's puzzle piece? I missed it, and cannot find it anywhere online.

cjs
04-08-12, 14:01
Was anybody able to snag today's puzzle piece? I missed it, and cannot find it anywhere online.

I've been following them at http://monderno.com as he apparently has had some luck each day at grabbing them.

mikeith
04-08-12, 14:17
Leaked photo... You're welcome :D
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/MIKEITH/f4606b29.jpg
And it is rumored to be a single stack 9mm

Anyone want a m&p 40c!? Mine will officially be for sell once these are on the shelf!

ruchik
04-08-12, 14:23
Dear God! I want one!

Not sure how I feel about the manual safety though (looks like one, at least).

turbo38gn
04-08-12, 14:58
Dear God! I want one!

Not sure how I feel about the manual safety though (looks like one, at least).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't put it on if you don't like it. I can assure you it will not apply itself by accident anymore than you will pull the trigger by accident.

jmp45
04-08-12, 15:00
This is interesting. Wondering what the price point will be.

Palmguy
04-08-12, 15:22
This is interesting. Wondering what the price point will be.

I'm interested as long as the price point isn't higher than the current M&P9 lineup is, which seems (to me at least) fairly unlikely that it would be higher than the M&P9 to begin with.

nobody knows
04-08-12, 15:34
If the barrel is shorter then a compact model, but the grip is longer, then I think this thing is pointless for me anyways. The grip is the part that is hard to conceal not the barrel.

orionz06
04-08-12, 15:47
Wonder how thick it is?

Street Dog
04-08-12, 17:30
Here are a few specs. I have a PDF file of the brochure, though I have not seen the pistol in person yet.
Width 1 inch
Barrel length, 3.1 inches
Overall length, 6.1 inches
Overall height, 4.6 inches
Weight, 18.5 oz.
Capacity, 9mm 7 or 8 rounds, 40 S&W, 6 or 7
If I can figure out how to convert the PDF file so I can post it here I will. Trigger pull is listed at 6.5 pounds.

Palmguy
04-08-12, 17:48
Check your PMs, Street Dog.

Thanks,
Brian

NotDylan
04-08-12, 18:42
Is the safety ambidextrous?

saddlerocker
04-08-12, 19:14
Here are a few specs. I have a PDF file of the brochure, though I have not seen the pistol in person yet.
Width 1 inch
Weight, 18.5 oz.
If I can figure out how to convert the PDF file so I can post it here I will. Trigger pull is listed at 6.5 pounds.

If these specs are correct.....
A bit bigger than the LC9 and even more so than the Kahr CM9.
Hopefully its doable though.
Im a skinny fella and need something small to carry comfortably.

Oh and the un-photoshoped picture to add a little size reference.
http://i39.tinypic.com/sx2dsg.jpg

Cokeman
04-08-12, 19:50
Stupid name. Shield? :haha:

mikeith
04-08-12, 20:53
I'm sure there will be a standard length mag as well. I agree being a slim guy that the grip is the hardest part to conceal.

Can't wait to get me one! Already emailed my local ffl which is a friend and told him I want the first one he can get his hands on!

jmp45
04-08-12, 21:12
I'm sure there will be a standard length mag as well.

That's what I thought, maybe included with the extended mag.

Under the Radar
04-08-12, 21:44
Looks interesting. I'm not going to go out running to buy one, but I'll keep an eye on it. I've been thinking about getting something that size to carry at least some of the time.

I agree, stupid name though. Shield? Seriously?

Gutshot John
04-08-12, 22:22
Who the hell chooses (or doesn't choose) a gun based on the name?

glocktogo
04-08-12, 22:30
I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't put it on if you don't like it. I can assure you it will not apply itself by accident anymore than you will pull the trigger by accident.

You cannot guarantee that. Unused manual safeties have been known to inadvertently get engaged. The user that doesn't train to use the safety will have significant issues getting the gun to fire when that happens, losing valuable seconds. I've seen it on the range numerous times.

S&W needs to make this one w/o manual safety just like the rest of the M&P line.

drsal
04-08-12, 22:40
Looks interesting...wonder if it will be as thin as Walther PPS ?

Cokeman
04-08-12, 22:42
Who the hell chooses (or doesn't choose) a gun based on the name?

Let me guess, looks of a gun aren't important either. :blink:

Show me where anyone said they were (or weren't) going to buy this gun based on the name. :rolleyes:

Hogsgunwild
04-08-12, 23:21

Show me where anyone said they were (or weren't) going to buy this gun based on the name. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm, I thought seriously about the Wilson "Spec-Ops 9" when it first came out but the name was just a tad too gay for me...

Perhaps if I was really a special ops type? Perhaps not... :jester:

smitty704
04-09-12, 02:35
I want one! I own an M&P 45c and I has been flawless for over 4500 rounds. No malfunctions of any kind.

Street Dog
04-09-12, 07:45
Is the safety ambidextrous?

No, neither is the slide stop.

Beat Trash
04-09-12, 07:59
Width 1 inch
Weight, 18.5 oz.

The M&P9c lists a height of 4.3". So the new Shield is actually taller than a M&P9c?

I could live with the extra .3" of grip if the gun is thinner, say in the area of .9" thick.

I'll most likely buy one anyway. But it'll have to be comparable to my PPS in thickness before the PPS gets replaced.

Also if you look at the grip of the Shield, it will not have interchangeable back straps. There is no pin on the bottom of the magwell to hold one in place. If you look at the photo closely, you can see the back strap is an integral part of the frame. Not a deal breaker for me, but I keep coming back to the idea that S&W will be competing with Walther's PPS on this one.

Street Dog
04-09-12, 08:13
Beat Trash, you are correct, no interchangeable backstrap. I forgot to mention that.

packinaglock
04-09-12, 08:36
Stupid name. Shield? :haha:

I'm thinking they named it Shield as in badge(LEO), could be to intice police to carry this as a bug? Just my first thought, but what the hell do I know. :D

bdcheung
04-09-12, 08:38
or "Shield" as in "your last line of defense"

mikeith
04-09-12, 08:41
I'm thinking they named it Shield as in badge(LEO), could be to intice police to carry this as a bug? Just my first thought, but what the hell do I know. :D

I agree since it's being made in .40 also and Most pd's are .40 or 9mm

Or they could be watching too many marvel movies lol

mikeith
04-09-12, 08:42
You cannot guarantee that. Unused manual safeties have been known to inadvertently get engaged. The user that doesn't train to use the safety will have significant issues getting the gun to fire when that happens, losing valuable seconds. I've seen it on the range numerous times.

S&W needs to make this one w/o manual safety just like the rest of the M&P line.

I'm sure it will be removable just like the standard m&p if it bugs you that bad... Just a though

RogerinTPA
04-09-12, 10:34
With the extended mag, I wonder what the measurement would be compared to a 9c with a FS 17 round mag (with X-grip), which is how I sometimes carry when I don't want to carry a spare mag.

maximus83
04-09-12, 11:08

I've never had any major reliability issue with any recent S&W product I've bought. How many have I bought, do you ask? Well I seem to be a bit of an M&P nut, I have a total of 5 M&P pistols (a .45, and 4 9's [compact, 2 FS, 1 Pro], plus the M&P 15-22 rifle--most of these purchased from G&R Tactical).

I've had a few MINOR issues with just personal preferences types of stuff, not impacting reliability. I've gotten upgraded APEX trigger kits on a couple of my M&P's, because I prefer the aftermarket trigger. However, to me it's a good thing that folks out there are building aftermarket parts for the M&P, that's the sign of a healthy, growing platform that has a future. I pretty much assume with any stock/factory pistol I buy--whether a 1911, a Glock, and M&P, a CZ, whatever--that I'm going to have to do something to otherwise tune or improve the trigger to my liking.

I'm definitely interested in one of these and if they prove as reliable as the others, I'd probably sell my compact (not because it's bad, but because I don't need 2 compacts) and go with this slimmer model.

cheapsandwich
04-09-12, 11:09
While I love my M&P's, I dont see how this one does anything more or anything better than the .40c or 9c other than compromise capacity.
I'm not trading 10+1 or 12+1 for .3 thinner,2 oz lighter and a taller grip frame, I'd rather address my carry system to make the compact possible.
Come'on guys we're M&P fanboys we're not supposed to act like the glock fanboy's.............let the beatings commence. :D

Beat Trash
04-09-12, 11:13
I'm currently using a Walther PPS as a uniform BUG instead of my M&P9c because the difference in thickness and weight is enough for me to notice toward the end of a 10 hr shift.

If the Shield is thinner as well, I'm all in.

jmp45
04-09-12, 11:23
Wondering if the current APEX offerings will work with this one.

dmaxfireman
04-09-12, 11:25
So safe to assume that normal M&P holsters will not retain this because it is thinner, or it the slide the same?

C4IGrant
04-09-12, 11:25

I don't think they all will.

C4

Sry0fcr
04-09-12, 13:39
I thought that I'd want one when they were finally released but then I came to the conclusion that I don't have problem concealing my M&P9C when I can carry with my shirt untucked or with a cover garment. For the days that I'm tucked in, (M-F heh) I need something pocketable and this doesn't fit the bill. This will probably only appeal to people that have (probably incorrectly) convinced themselves that they can't conceal a double stack gun or the people that actually have a niche for it. Oh well, more options are a good thing especially if it competes in a market filled with less than stellar options.

High Altitude
04-09-12, 14:22

I wonder if the trigger system is completely different than the current M&Ps.

Hogsgunwild
04-09-12, 15:04
While I love my M&P's, I dont see how this one does anything more or anything better than the .40c or 9c other than compromise capacity.
I'm not trading 10+1 or 12+1 for .3 thinner,2 oz lighter and a taller grip frame, I'd rather address my carry system to make the compact possible.

I feel the same. I do see how this would work better as a bug for some LEOs (like the gentleman mentioned regarding the weight difference at the end of his shift).

I've become spoiled having so many rounds on tap in such a small package (my M&P9c). With that being said, I'll probably end up with a Shield eventually, as, I am a M&P whore.

Nmate
04-09-12, 16:00
am I the only one that still wants a 10mm?

Nope, you're not the only one. I don't think that we'll ever see an M&P 10.

ggp2jz
04-09-12, 16:31
Il'll pass

mlk18
04-09-12, 16:40
I won't be buying one on the 12th, but I will have one soon thereafter.

glocktogo
04-09-12, 16:49
I'm sure it will be removable just like the standard m&p if it bugs you that bad... Just a though

Which would probably work just fine where I'm at. Removing a safety device may be a legal liability in some jurisdictions.

jmp45
04-09-12, 16:51
I won't be buying one on the 12th, but I will have one soon thereafter.

I'm not convinced we'll see these anytime soon, maybe mid / late summer at an lgs. I'll most likely pick one up.

Gutshot John
04-09-12, 17:27

Nope...pretty is as pretty does.

Sigh...you got me...no one said they were or weren't going to buy the gun because of the name. Though that really wasn't the point I was making.

It's still pretty freaking ghey to bitch about the name of a product when it has nice potential to have great function.

YMMV.

Hogsgunwild
04-09-12, 18:10

S&W has quite a history of well built 10MMs. Never say never.

DWood
04-09-12, 19:13
Width 1 inch
Weight, 18.5 oz.

That will make it a little big for pocket carry IMO. If it won't go in my pocket, they wasted their time making it smaller, at least for me.

Cokeman
04-09-12, 23:42
Nope...pretty is as pretty does.

Sigh...you got me...no one said they were or weren't going to buy the gun because of the name. Though that really wasn't the point I was making.

It's still pretty freaking ghey to bitch about the name of a product when it has nice potential to have great function.

YMMV.

No. It's not. It's completely appropriate to bitch about a stupid name when it's stupid no matter what potential it may have or how excited you are about it. No correlation really. :sarcastic:

J_Dub_503
04-10-12, 02:41
Don't know if it's already been posted but here's a picture with the specs...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/04/10/leaked-photo-of-mp-shield/

Gutshot John
04-10-12, 11:15
Some may find it appropriate. From my perspective bitching about a name is evidence of misplaced priorities.

Some names lend themselves to being ridiculed, e.g. "Spec-Ops" or "Naval Special Warfare Edition" or "buy this gun if you want to pretend to be a badass" but "Shield" seems fairly anodyne.

orionz06
04-10-12, 11:17
Really, who cares about the name? I thought M4C was all about function and stuff like that, not petty name shit.

mikeith
04-10-12, 15:56
Really, who cares about the name? I thought M4C was all about function and stuff like that, not petty name shit.

Amen!

dmaxfireman
04-10-12, 16:53

Had a talk with a guy the other day who works there and he says they are way too busy trying to keep up with the normal M&P production to add a 10mm to the lineup... It is not even on the schedule to be talked about for the rest of 2012.

bookin
04-10-12, 17:25
I'll pick one up for a back up gun. I carry one on my ankle. It needs to be as narrow as possible to go over my boots and still fit under my pants. I carry an LCP now, but only because I was waiting for one of these in .40. If I'm going for my back up, it's because I'm rolling on the ground with someone. I won't be needing 11 shots to hit someone that close.

eternal24k
04-10-12, 18:40
well, since i am giving up on a single stack Glock 26, it looks like my Girlfriend might be getting an M&P :dirol:

jmoney
04-10-12, 19:46
:(

I know the moment I go for a g20 someone else will come out with a 10mm..

RGoose
04-10-12, 19:54

Honestly I hope so. The stock trigger isn't that bad and the Apex tigger upgrades are great. This is the first compact I've been actually excited about.

saddlerocker
04-12-12, 11:05
Up on S&W website
.40 also Available

In Video 2 they claim maybe a better trigger than any other M&P, with a positive reset.
Also says available now, dont have to wait for it at retail. (wheres grant?)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_780153_-1_757781_757781_image

Another page showing features, 360 degree look ect...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/MP_Shield/index.html

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfQbB8JWck
Video 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1pu0CCkvak&feature=relmfu

MP9
04-12-12, 11:10
Finally.. very nice. a little tall..

wondering when is going to be on sale at the stores..

outrider627
04-12-12, 11:25
Final facebook pic has been added to the OP.

Up on S&W website
.40 also Available

In Video 2 they claim maybe a better trigger than any other M&P, with a positive reset.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_780153_-1_757781_757781_image

Video
Video 2

MSRP of $449. I've seen most M&Ps priced at about $100 less than MSRP. Anyone think the Shield will retail around $350?

saddlerocker
04-12-12, 11:27
Yeah its a little too big for a pocket carry type of gun.
They also said its "slightly" double stacked.

It looks like a good middle ground between a real small gun and the M&P compact/Glock 19 ect...

Im a skinny guy and plan to carry in a Raven appendix holster, so I think this will be perfect, not to small and not too big.
But alot of people might have wanted a pocket gun.
Cant please everyone

And 2 more Articles/Reviews
http://gunnuts.net/2012/04/12/smith-wesson-mp-shield-9mm-review/

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/04/12/introducing-the-smith-wesson-mp-shield/

Dave James
04-12-12, 11:48
From the looks of it this "OLD" guy will have to have one, I find a day of toting the glock or the mpC just wears my back down, the slim looks good to go and with the laser hook up for it, would help just a tad more with the failing eye sight, while not a pocket rocket it looks like it will carry very flat. And after the trouble with the pm9 crap it should run well if its any thing like my mpC

turbo38gn
04-12-12, 12:20
From the looks of it this "OLD" guy will have to have one, I find a day of toting the glock or the mpC just wears my back down, the slim looks good to go and with the laser hook up for it, would help just a tad more with the failing eye sight, while not a pocket rocket it looks like it will carry very flat. And after the trouble with the pm9 crap it should run well if its any thing like my mpC

I'm all over it too, love the accessories available.. short magazine also..

rotorblade
04-12-12, 12:41
Of the 12 gun shops I called in the last hour 2 knew what I was talking about. This looks promising. Well see.

Exactly jp.
Glock could have built this years ago. Something tells me Glock is about to get served or maybe handed their hat.

jpmuscle
04-12-12, 12:42
Im liking what Im seeing so far. If this platform grows into a full size single stack 45 I will be all over it.

Frankly, thats something Glock should have done with the 36 along time ago.

mtdawg169
04-12-12, 12:55
I'm wondering if it will take standard m&P aftermarket sights?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bobsolla
04-12-12, 13:12
looks like a single stack magazine with a slimmer slide(notice the barrel bushing or recoil guide bushing is new at the muzzle end).the fish scales look the same to me.just a ccw edc carry pistol in my opinion.

bobsolla
04-12-12, 13:49
no picatinney rails either,nor front slide serrations!

jpmuscle
04-12-12, 14:13
I'm wondering if it will take standard m&P aftermarket sights?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It would make sense to maintain cross platform parts compatibility as much as possible so hopefully thats the case along with most of the internals. Again, hopefully.

Gary1911A1
04-12-12, 14:27
Ordered one today for $399 as after reading reviews and seeing various YouTube reviews I drank the Kool Aid and decided to get one. It will likely be late next week at the earliest. Sounds like the best trigger yet on a M&P.

jmp45
04-12-12, 14:30
Opting for two here for wife and I.

bobsolla
04-12-12, 14:31
Up on S&W website
.40 also Available

Video
Video 2

just got a message back from apex tactical solutions that they have`nt got into the innards yet,but will!that`s a good thing for any m&p owner that wants to vastly improve on an otherwise great product.randy over there does terrific things!

USA
04-12-12, 14:35
Ordered one today for $399 as after reading reviews and seeing various YouTube reviews I drank the Kool Aid and decided to get one. It will likely be late next week at the earliest. Sounds like the best trigger yet on a M&P.

Who has it in stock?

And for those buying the Shield, do you have the compact version as well or are you choosing the Shield over the compact?

I only have a full size and was planning on purchasing a compact. Now I can't decide if I should purchase the Shield, a compact or both.

I think I will need to see both side by side and maybe shoot both side by side. I shot the compact previously and thought it was comparable to full size, but since MD doesn't have CCW, I bought full size.

Now that MD may have CCW soon, I'm looking into compact and now the Shield. For those that say they can CCW the full size, I find that it is way too large for me to conceal and carry comfortably all the time (in my house, haha, because I live in the Peoples Republic of MD).

ra2bach
04-12-12, 14:43
Who has it in stock?

And for those buying the Shield, do you have the compact version as well or are you choosing the Shield over the compact?

I only have a full size and was planning on purchasing a compact. Now I can't decide if I should purchase the Shield, a compact or both.

I think I will need to see both side by side and maybe shoot both side by side. I shot the compact previously and thought it was comparable to full size, but since MD doesn't have CCW, I bought full size.

Now that MD may have CCW soon, I'm looking into compact and now the Shield. For those that say they can CCW the full size, I find that it is way too large for me to conceal and carry comfortably all the time (in my house, haha, because I live in the Peoples Republic of MD).

GA Firing Line has three in stock. well, two after I get there today...

are getting more tomorrow or Monday...

J_Dub_503
04-12-12, 14:54
Here's a video through Shooting Times Magazine. (http://youtu.be/N8xR_w_DtOQ) It includes an overview plus some live fire.

vaglocker
04-12-12, 15:52
I must say that S&W sure have been able to generate a lot of buzz for this. Hats off to the marketing department over there.

MP9
04-12-12, 16:21
I would like to see a comparison with the PPS.. The pps is taller than 26, and a little less than the g19(just talking about height) . that is why I was looking for a CM9. but if the new trigger is good enough I will go for it..

jpmuscle
04-12-12, 16:53
Who has it in stock?

The compact would be nice for magazine compatibility but the shield is likely slimmer overall. so yea buy both. my .02 haha

Under the Radar
04-12-12, 17:58

I'm kind of in the same boat with this. I currently carry a full size M&P 9, but was planning on getting a compact 9 or .40 to carry and keep the full size for a HD gun. I was also considering getting a small 9mm or even .380 to carry while running and biking and maybe carrying with a belly band type rig in board shorts or track pants. I'm now thinking about just getting this to fill both roles.

We'll have to see, but this looks very promising.

Dos Cylindros
04-12-12, 17:59
Just called my dealer and he is working on scoring me one. This will be my new off duty and summer gun. Won't replace my J frame for B.U.G. on duty but it will be a much better option for off duty carry, especially in summer.

NotDylan
04-12-12, 18:39
They already made a mistake with the manual safety and then they really stuck it to me by making it single sided.

saddlerocker
04-12-12, 18:42
They already made a mistake with the manual safety and then they really stuck it to me by making it single sided.

In one of the reviews they said its rather stiff, and low profile. So if you didnt want to use it, they said its very unlikely that you could accidentally activate it.

Maybe not perfect, but I plan to get one, and dont plan to use the safety

Dos Cylindros
04-12-12, 18:43

By your post, I assume you are a lefty. I really feel for you guys as even in this "modular" day and age, manufacturers rarely seem to take you guys into consideration when releasing new products. I relaize you are the minority of the population, but it does not seem to be a big deal for S&W to make the safety ambi. They did it with the original M&P's. I suspect it was a cost issue, but I don't know how much it really could have cost.

DWood
04-12-12, 18:54
Yeah its a little too big for a pocket carry type of gun.
They also said its "slightly" double stacked.

It looks like a good middle ground between a real small gun and the M&P compact/Glock 19 ect...

Im a skinny guy and plan to carry in a Raven appendix holster, so I think this will be perfect, not to small and not too big.
But alot of people might have wanted a pocket gun.
Cant please everyone

And 2 more Articles/Reviews
http://gunnuts.net/2012/04/12/smith-wesson-mp-shield-9mm-review/

http://www.handgunsmag.com/2012/04/12/introducing-the-smith-wesson-mp-shield/

If it is not an "easy carry in the front pocket" type of gun, they lost me by making it smaller and reducing the magazine capacity. I will stick with higher capacity 9 mm pistols if I am going to carry on the belt.

My impression from the videos is this just a little too big for practical pocket carry.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-12-12, 19:09
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/MPSHIELD.jpg

Went by Cabelas today and they had just put one on display at noon(They said that they couldn't talk about it or display it until then). He said that they had gotten 12 of them in stock.

It felt ok in the hand. Very thin and low profile. I wasn't a fan of the safety. Overall a decent feel. If I hadn't been there to get a full size M&P I probably would have picked one up.

ForTehNguyen
04-12-12, 20:09
http://www.handgunsmag.com/files/2012/04/SWshield_041212D.jpg

packinaglock
04-12-12, 20:14
By your post, I assume you are a lefty. I really feel for you guys as even in this "modular" day and age, manufacturers rarely seem to take you guys into consideration when releasing new products. I relaize you are the minority of the population, but it does not seem to be a big deal for S&W to make the safety ambi. They did it with the original M&P's. I suspect it was a cost issue, but I don't know how much it really could have cost.

My step father told me the Nuns back in the old days would smack your left hand knuckles with a ruler till you learned to use your right hand.

TACAV
04-12-12, 20:45
FUUUCK I just bought an LC9 two days ago...
:suicide2:
Gonna be selling that thing now.

VIP3R 237
04-12-12, 20:57
Fondled one at sportsmans today, the trigger is awesome, it actually has a tactile reset and doesnt have a wet carrot feel trigger break. hopefully its transfers to the standard m&ps. The safety to me is meh especially being a lefty. I think its going to really hurt the pf9 and lc9 sales if it proves to be a reliable and accurate option.

Tommato
04-12-12, 21:16

+1 same here, and same price. From the UTube videos sounds like it may not need an Apex or other trigger kit to shoot well. At $400 with 2 mags, I think a good value in today's dollars.

Tommato

USA
04-12-12, 21:23
For those complaining about lack of rail, what are you wanting to mount on it? Plus, did you look at the accessories available? You can mount lasers on it without a rail. If you want a flashlight, I'm sure someone will make one eventually if there is enough demand to mount on pistol same way lasers are being mounted. If you hoped to mount it on rail in front, I think that would be crazy on a gun that size and would certainly defeat its purpose (CCW) IMO, but I am no SME.

www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/.../M&P_Shield_Accessories.pdf

FChen17213
04-12-12, 21:28
Looks like the single stack ccw pistols keep coming. I wonder if Glock will now really be pressured to make a single stack G26/27. I wonder what percentage of parts does the Shield share with the M&Pc. Let's not forget about the Springfield XD45 single stack either. I think this will be a hit too. Most people will certainly trust this little gun over things like the Keltec pf9 and Ruger LC9 I would think.

USA
04-12-12, 21:33
With respect to no front slide serrations, only the M&P45 has them. No other M&P does.

If you want to press check, you can do it via rear sight or near front of muzzle where it is cut, but you will obviously then need to be careful of sweeping yourself. It also has the hole on top of barrel and slide to look for brass.

Not a biggie IMO.

Cokeman
04-12-12, 21:34
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r513/whiskey_bravo1/MPSHIELD.jpg

Went by Cabelas today and they had just put one on display at noon(They said that they couldn't talk about it or display it until then). He said that they had gotten 12 of them in stock.

It felt ok in the hand. Very thin and low profile. I wasn't a fan of the safety. Overall a decent feel. If I hadn't been there to get a full size M&P I probably would have picked one up.

Just like Cabela's to charge MSRP. :angry:

USA
04-12-12, 21:51
Ambi controls - there is no subcompact that I am aware of or would want to buy that has ambi controls. S&W allegedly did this to keep width down. Thank god magazine release is reversible for the lefties. Since S&W put a safety in, it would've been nice if that was ambi too, but I guess they looked at the competition and saw no other subcompact, again that I am aware of, has ambi controls so... LC9 has safety and it is not ambi either.

Also, I'm going to speculate that they won't offer one without a safety for liability reasons. There is not a non-safety version of Bodyguard either or LC9, etc.

Drew78
04-12-12, 22:22
heads up, stupid question time...

As a Glock shooter I know nothing about manual safties on guns other than I despise them. Well, and mag disconects too but I digress...

Can you remove them, or at least disable them?

Not speaking to the Shield specifically, but thats the one drawback IMO to that pistol. MY luck would be the damn thing would somehow get engaged and I would vapor lock.

-drew

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-12-12, 22:34
Definitely going to take a look at these.

W2IYW
04-12-12, 23:06

As a Glock shooter I know nothing about manual safties on guns other than I despise them.

Depends on the specific pistol, of course, but you can remove the thumb safety on some other M&Ps, for example (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=677379&postcount=10).

Citizen_soldier22
04-12-12, 23:34
Forgive me if this has been answered, but I'm not about to read through 9 pages full of posts. Does anyone know if the .40 caliber version will be able to accept a 9mm barrel and mag then be good to go? I know the M&P40c is like this, but don't know if this will be different.

Russell92
04-12-12, 23:35
Depends on the specific pistol, of course, but you can remove the thumb safety on some other M&Ps, for example (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=677379&postcount=10).

I really hope the manual safety is removable or they offer a variant without one, but I'm not holding my breath. I was excited about the Shield until I saw the safety, big letdown for me, I will not buy one with a manual safety.

As for why no ambi safety, I'm guessing it's a marketing thing. They really wanted to say it's under 1" wide. I believe right now it's .98", the right side safety would stick out a bit bringing it over 1".

spotch
04-13-12, 00:02
Nobody's worried about the 6.5 pound trigger engaging itself, but from the sound of it that safety is going to be engaging itself every time the gun is taken out of the safe.

;)

Russell92
04-13-12, 00:25
Nobody's worried about the 6.5 pound trigger engaging itself, but from the sound of it that safety is going to be engaging itself every time the gun is taken out of the safe.

;)

While carrying the trigger's covered by the holster. I'm left handed so while carrying the safety would be facing out, not covered by the holster. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the safety to get inadvertently activated by rubbing against the back of a chair or getting caught on a cover garment. Likely, no, but it could happen and if it does I'd have trouble deactivating the non-ambi safety. That's why the safety's a deal breaker for me. Otherwise I really like the looks of the Shield.

Cokeman
04-13-12, 00:42
That safety lever is pretty flat and recessed.

HKUSP.40
04-13-12, 00:47
I currently own a Walther PPS 9mm which is a single stack 9mm (also offered in 40 S&W). Smith & Wesson somewhat recently took over Walther so I'd imagine this new M&P will be similar in size/quality as the PPS. If that's the case, then this gun is heck of deal at $400. A new PPS retails for nearly $600+. I absolutely LOVE my PPS and hope this new M&P stacks up.

PPS dimensions: Length= 6.3" Frame Width= .91" Height= 4.4"
*available with 6rnd flush magazine, a +1 (7rnd) magazine, or a +2 (8rnd magazine)

M&P Shield dimensions: Length= 6.1" Frame Width= .95" Height= 4.6"
*available with flush 7rnd magazine or a +1 (8rnd) magazine

Both are striker fired.

Cokeman
04-13-12, 00:56
It has no mag disconnect. Didn't the other M&P models, or was that only in certain states?

turbo38gn
04-13-12, 05:48

As a Glock shooter I know nothing about manual safties on guns other than I despise them. Well, and mag disconects too but I digress...

Not speaking to the Shield specifically, but thats the one drawback IMO to that pistol. MY luck would be the damn thing would somehow get engaged and I would vapor lock.

-drew

The likelyhood of the safety setting itself is about as likely as the gun shooting while sitting in a drawer...

Palmguy
04-13-12, 05:52
It has no mag disconnect. Didn't the other M&P models, or was that only in certain states?

The mag disconnect is optional on the other M&Ps.

TACAV
04-13-12, 05:54

They made models both with and without it.

I have an M&P9 Pro Series with the standard length barrel, the pro series trigger, no thumb safety and no magazine disconnect.

Beat Trash
04-13-12, 11:02
I also own a PPS 9mm. While the PPS is a great gun for it's intended purpose, there are things about it I'm not totally sold on. I will be trying the Shield. Unless my sample totally sucks, I can see it replacing the PPS as my BUG while at work.

I amy be the only person who kind of likes the safety. I'll never use it when carrying the gun. But there are times that my smaller (sub compact) guns get carried in unconventional places/methods for short periods. There are also times I temporarily have to place the gun in a drawer or glove box, ect. If loaned or given to a lady in my life, it may spend time in a purse. These are times when the option of a safety is nice to have.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to remove the safety lever is one choses to.

For those of you who are left handed, I can understand your frustration though.

DragonDoc
04-13-12, 11:32
I saw this on my Facebook page this morning. The gun looks pretty good in the videos. I might have to get one when they are in the stores. Buds have them for $398.

Here is a link for the S&W page. The gun will MSRP for $449.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y#

HKUSP.40
04-13-12, 12:45
There's also a $50 rebate on M&P handguns (minus the M&P.22) for all active/retired military.

zibby43
04-13-12, 14:59
Buds have them for $398.

Link?

snaf
04-13-12, 15:45
picked one up this afternoon..will be trying it out tomorrow.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo167/avexsnaf/shield.jpg

dougwg
04-13-12, 15:49
Much improved trigger now that I've gone over it.
The stock trigger was very rough just like all M&P's. I smoothed it up and brought the weight down to 4 lbs and installed a set of Trijicon HD sights.
Next is Serrations!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/150898_339014516158366_207683145958171_965185_1184221037_n.jpg

ra2bach
04-13-12, 17:49
got mine! just got back from putting 200 rounds of 115gr. Wolf through it with nary a bobble. at first it would not take all 7 rounds in the small mag due to the steel case of the Wolf but that worked itself out. the 8 rounder accepted all 8.

this gun is crazy accurate with this ammo. I put 6 out of the first 8 rounds through the same hole, about three rounds in diameter at 25 ft. the first two rounds opened the group up to about 1 3/4". remind me not to wear my progressive lenses when I go to buy a gun... :rolleyes:

I was firing slow fire due to the trigger being heavier than I'm used to but I expect it will loosen up some. break was very clean. seems very controllable rapid fire but my results were nothing to write home about.

gonna clean and lube it tonight and tomorrow I'll run it with my carry ammo and see how it does.

call me impressed...

MP9
04-13-12, 18:13
Nice. And what about the trigger reset? Similar to m&p FS? Or more like the others DAO pistol?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Boss Hogg
04-13-12, 23:03
The one they had in display at the NRA meeting in St. Louis had a very, very heavy trigger.

stmcelroy
04-13-12, 23:11
Nice. And what about the trigger reset? Similar to m&p FS? Or more like the others DAO pistol?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Similar to M&P reset, but with a definite audible click. Supposed to have the newer M&P trigger parts.

My trigger is really good, but can't wait for Apex to do a sear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Kydex%20Holsters/575043_413789978632383_100000041537720_26026233_1350490637_n.jpg

ralph
04-13-12, 23:14
While I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread, what about the barrel? what rate of twist? are they still using the oddball 5 groove rifling? Is the barrel/slide lockup like the M&P, where the barrel unlocks almost immediately? or did they address that..?

Robb Jensen
04-13-12, 23:27
just got a message back from apex tactical solutions that they have`nt got into the innards yet,but will!that`s a good thing for any m&p owner that wants to vastly improve on an otherwise great product.randy over there does terrific things!

I field stripped one today. The FP block, sear, trigger spring and extractor appear to be the same size as a regular M&P. Hopefully they are nd current Apex stuff will fit it.

stmcelroy
04-13-12, 23:40
I field stripped one today. The FP block, sear, trigger spring and extractor appear to be the same size as a regular M&P. Hopefully they are nd current Apex stuff will fit it.

Guy on AR15.com put an Apex sear in his Shield and the trigger pull dropped to 4.5#'s.

Guess I'll be ordering a couple of sears this weekend.:D

brushy bill
04-14-12, 07:27
While I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread, what about the barrel? what rate of twist? are they still using the oddball 5 groove rifling? Is the barrel/slide lockup like the M&P, where the barrel unlocks almost immediately? or did they address that..?

These are the same questions that are keeping me from getting prematurely excited.

ForTehNguyen
04-14-12, 09:44
from Military Arms at the NRA Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZAUKivEje0&feature=g-u-u&context=G29f0ffcFUAAAAAAAGAA

jmp45
04-14-12, 12:22
My wife can run the mp9 fs without too much issue with felt recoil. Is the shield 9's recoil about the same? I wouldn't let her shoot the pf9, I'm hoping this auto's recoil is more manageable like the fs.

jpmuscle
04-14-12, 12:31
I wonder if Buds Police will be stocking these. Hopefully

MP9
04-14-12, 12:33
Just got mine. pics later. very nice gun... I just came from competition so I had my M&P9 FS too so I shoot both. very similar trigger, the reset is almost the same. it is not a lonnngg DAO. A little crispy but after some rounds it improve a little.

my hands arent so big so with the flat magazine I can have a full grip.... I put around 100 rounds FMJ 115gr of federal, WWB, remington. 0 issue , 0 erratic ejection. and some 10 rounds of WWB of 124gr..a little more of recoil/muzzle flip with that one. buy I didnt feel any mayor difference with the recoil compared to my FS and G19..

I paid 449$.. at the store they got 2 yesterday and today only had 1.... so I took it.

Bulldog7972
04-14-12, 12:59
What will this gun do for me that my 239 does not? My 239 is 9+ 1 and it appears to be pretty similar in height which is the primary concern when carried concealed. I think if I were in the market for a small 9mm, ccw weapon that the G26 would be a better choice.

Palmguy
04-14-12, 13:42
What will this gun do for me that my 239 does not? My 239 is 9+ 1 and it appears to be pretty similar in height which is the primary concern when carried concealed. I think if I were in the market for a small 9mm, ccw weapon that the G26 would be a better choice.

If you don't see the point, don't get it. Width matters to some people. A PPS is easier to carry for me than the G26. I expect the same to be true for the Shield.

Normal capacity on the 239 is 8+1 by the way. I don't really see the point of a 239 when compared to a G19 but that's just me.

USA
04-14-12, 14:04
There's also a $50 rebate on M&P handguns (minus the M&P.22) for all active/retired military.

Let me know if the rebate works for you. I was planning on buying a compact this year and using rebate. If S&W does not revise rebate to exclude Shield like it has with M&P 22 (I'm afraid they might because both M&P22 and Shield are lower priced than remaining M&P's), then I may get Shield this year and pray S&W extends rebate to next year so I can use to buy compact.

Beat Trash
04-14-12, 14:19
I wonder if Buds Police will be stocking these. Hopefully

I'm sure they will, but I bet it'll be a while until S&W releases LE SKU'ed guns.

ForTehNguyen
04-14-12, 16:42
Smith & Wesson® M&P SHIELD™ Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfQbB8JWck&feature=player_embedded

sparky-kb
04-14-12, 17:02

I'd say it would do quite a bit for you...lose half an inch off the grip and a quarter inch width while only giving up 1 round capacity wise. Then you'd be covered on the single stack 9 and could ask yourself what the P239 does for you that a Glock 19 couldn't other than hold 6 less rounds :D Just messin with ya...lol

MistWolf
04-14-12, 17:10
...are they still using the oddball 5 groove rifling..?

What's wrong with 5 groove rifling?

DWood
04-14-12, 18:20
If you don't see the point, don't get it. Width matters to some people. A PPS is easier to carry for me than the G26. I expect the same to be true for the Shield.

Normal capacity on the 239 is 8+1 by the way. I don't really see the point of a 239 when compared to a G19 but that's just me.

If this pistol is not an easy pocket carry gun, then it is wasted on me since the higher capacity guns carry just as easily in a belt holster, either IWB or OWB.

My thoughts are this gun does not meet my requirements for pocket carry. If I am correct, then it has no value to me.

Palmguy
04-14-12, 18:38
If this pistol is not an easy pocket carry gun, then it is wasted on me since the higher capacity guns carry just as easily in a belt holster, either IWB or OWB.

My thoughts are this gun does not meet my requirements for pocket carry. If I am correct, then it has no value to me.

It's probably large for pocket carry, so if it has no value to you on the belt, it is what it is.

Other people do see an advantage in thinner guns for on-the-belt carry. This gun is a good thing for them.

USA
04-14-12, 18:51
It's probably large for pocket carry, so if it has no value to you on the belt, it is what it is.

Other people do see an advantage in thinner guns for on-the-belt carry. This gun is a good thing for them.

I agree. Choices and options are good IMO. I've decided to buy both the compact and the Shield in the future. Together, both should provide me IMO a wider range of clothing options to wear while CCW'ing (in MD, which I hope will someday come).

ralph
04-14-12, 22:16
What's wrong with 5 groove rifling?

Nothing is wrong with it if it works... As you well know, the full sized pistols have a accuracy problem that seems random in nature, as Randy Lee has pointed out, the problems with the barrels in the FS guns are the rifling, rate of twist, (also weird if I remember correctly, something like 1 in18.75, usual twist for 9mm, I believe is 1 in 16)and of course the well known early unlocking.. All of these are parts of the accuracy equation. If one or more of these parts is'nt right, you're going to have problems.My question in a nutshell is, did they address these issues with this pistol or not? Not wanting to be a smartass, But, I'm not really interested in a debate on the merits of 5 groove rifling. I guess the next question would be, if they did manage to address these issues, then, why can't they do it with the full sized pistols? (pardon the thread drift)

stmcelroy
04-14-12, 23:23
Nothing is wrong with it if it works... As you well know, the full sized pistols have a accuracy problem that seems random in nature, as Randy Lee has pointed out, the problems with the barrels in the FS guns are the rifling, rate of twist, (also weird if I remember correctly, something like 1 in18.75, usual twist for 9mm, I believe is 1 in 16)and of course the well known early unlocking.. All of these are parts of the accuracy equation. If one or more of these parts is'nt right, you're going to have problems.My question in a nutshell is, did they address these issues with this pistol or not? Not wanting to be a smartass, But, I'm not really interested in a debate on the merits of 5 groove rifling. I guess the next question would be, if they did manage to address these issues, then, why can't they do it with the full sized pistols? (pardon the thread drift)

Since S&W doesn't see it as an issue, I doubt very much things have changed at all from the FS.

chapperjoe
04-15-12, 00:41

+1.

I'm in formal wear 6 days a week, the mp9c doesn't cut it then in terms of concealability. All other times - yes. when eyes are on me in a fitted suit - no. I've got the cm-9 now since I can wear it in that role, as well as when I jog and in cargo shorts,I can just barely pocket it. I'd trade it in for this newfangled thing if it can be pocketted in cargo shorts....

MistWolf
04-15-12, 01:40
Nothing is wrong with it (5 groove rifling) if it works...

Just curious. Using 5 groove rifling isn't all that unusual or weird.

Looks like it's the neatest compact 9mm S&W has come out with since the 3913 Ladysmith
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/5/55/S%26W_Model_3913.jpg/400px-S%26W_Model_3913.jpg

ralph
04-15-12, 07:34
Since S&W doesn't see it as an issue, I doubt very much things have changed at all from the FS.

Ahhh, you're right..in order to fix a problem, you first have to admit that you have one...

ralph
04-15-12, 07:40

Dupe, sorry,

Bulldog7972
04-15-12, 07:50

With a "Plus One" extension available from Top Gun Supply the 239 now becomes a 9+1. I agree with the comment about the 239 vs. G19 but I am so heavily invested in the 239 it would cost me a fortune to switch.

ralph
04-15-12, 08:05
Just curious. Using 5 groove rifling isn't all that unusual or weird.

Looks like it's the neatest compact 9mm S&W has come out with since the 3913 Ladysmith
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/5/55/S%26W_Model_3913.jpg/400px-S%26W_Model_3913.jpg

Have you tried offering him money?

turbo38gn
04-15-12, 08:15
Ahhh, you're right..in order to fix a problem, you first have to admit that you have one...

I know that quote!! very, very well... heard it over 25 years ago and I still have to remind myself.. daily :)

cttbax
04-15-12, 08:23
I am still trying to find a Shield 9mm in stock...these FLEW off the shelves!

jmoore
04-15-12, 08:49
Does it auto-forward like the big ones do?????

TIA

john

PS - sorry if this was already mentioned - I still haven't waded through all of the posts - hot topic:)

cttbax
04-15-12, 08:51
Does it auto-forward like the big ones do?????

TIA

john

PS - sorry if this was already mentioned - I still haven't waded through all of the posts - hot topic:)

Huh??? Auto foward?????

SWAT Lt.
04-15-12, 09:05
I got a call Firday from a friend at a LGS who said they just put out ten of them. I had decided to wait a while to let any issues get worked out and allow pricing to come down before buying one. I made the mistake of going in to take a look at them. I bought one yesterday morning, leaving five left in stock, and took it to the range that afternoon. I, along with a friend, fired a total of 428 rounds through the gun.

The Shield ran flawlessly even though I attempted to induce malfunctions. It was accurate and shot very tight groups (we were shooting at close ranges though ) although it did shoot a little to the left for both of us. I did not bring an allen wrench for the rear sight so I was unable to make adjustments at the range. I will go back and and adjust the sights today. By the way, I do not like the standard sights and look forward to putting night sights on the gun. I much prefer the Ameriglo Operator rear (yellow) and the orange Hack or CAP front (green) and have them on all of my carry guns.

I like the way the gun feels and shoots with the 8rd mag. To me there is a bit more torque with the short mag, it is manageable but not as enjoyable to shoot with. I still plan on carrying a G19 for most applications upon retirement, for now I'm stuck with the .40.

I shot the following ammo through the gun without issue: 115 AE ball, 115 Blazer ball, Win 124 NATO ball, 147 AE ball, 124 Fed Tactical Bonded, 124+P T Series, 124+P Gold Dot, 147 T Series and 147 HST. I would carry the 147 HST given the choice, our issue round in 9mm is the 124 Tac Bonded.

turbo38gn
04-15-12, 09:34
I got a call Firday from a friend at a LGs who said they just put out ten of them. I had decided to wait a while to let any issues get worked out and allow pricing to come down before buying one. I made the mistake of going in to take a look at them. I bought one yesterday morning, leaving five left in stock, and took it to the range that afternoon. I, along with a friend, fired a total of 428 rounds through the gun.

The Shield ran flawlessly even though I attempted to induce malfunctions. It was accurate and shot very tight groups (we were shooting at close ranges though ) although it did shoot a little to the left for both of us. I did not bring an allen wrench for the rear sight so I was unable to make adjustments at the range. I will go back and and adjust the sights today. By the way, I do not like the standard sights and look forward to putting night sights on the gun. I much prefer the Ameriglo Operator rear (yellow) and the orange Hack or CAP front (green) and have them on all of my carry guns.

I like the way the gun feels and shoots with the 8rd mag. To me there is a bit more torque with the short mag, it is manageable but not as enjoyable to shoot with. I still plan on carrying a G19 for most applications upon retirement.

I shot the following ammo through the gun without issue: 115 AE Ball, 115 Blazer, Win 124 NATO, 147 AE Ball, 124 Fed Tactical Bonded, 124+P T Series, 124+P Gold Dot, 147 T Series and 147 HST. I would carry the 147 HST given the choice, our issue round in 9mm is the 124 Tac Bonded.

I hope this helps anyone considering one.

Thanks, excellent work, looks like a typical M&P.. shoots pretty much anything.

dougwg
04-15-12, 11:08
FYI Standard M&P sights fit the Shield.

So you'll be able to install your favorite sites with no modifications :D

Here's a vid showing my initial trigger sear install, polished trigger bar and radiused-polished safety plunger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTNXpyjNqg

SkyLine1
04-15-12, 11:54
http://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fcef-4278.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fcfe-eb9f.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fd07-7c80.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fd10-aecd.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fd1b-4e3b.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fd25-b7fe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/a69344f3-fd32-9026.jpg

Last few are a FS9 and the Shield.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

MistWolf
04-15-12, 12:33
Have you tried offering him money?

Say what?? :blink:

dougwg
04-15-12, 13:22
M&P9 Shield
M&P9c

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-2351-1334432739786.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-4225-1334432738469.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-1890-1334432739125.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-18513-1334432742738.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-16017-1334432742013.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-12042-1334432741233.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g322/dougwg/photobucket-32080-1334432744126.jpg

jmoore
04-15-12, 14:57
Huh??? Auto foward?????

One of the reasons I made the final decision to train Glock instead of M&P was the auto-forward "feature". Insert the mag with too much force, and the slide follows forward. As that same force causes the top round nose to pivot up slightly (and thus drop the case head a bit), this explains the observation by some that they either end up with an empty chamber or FTF stoppage. Some aren't bothered by this situation and someeven like it (the auto-forward, not the empty chamber every now & then:). I prefer to have control over exactly when my slide moves forward.

john

ralph
04-15-12, 16:18
Say what?? :blink:

My Bad.. I thought your sig line was part of your post above..Sorry..

MistWolf
04-15-12, 19:59
ROFLMAO! :dance3:

04-15-12, 21:12
I spoke with The guys at Apex today at the NRA show and they said they are working on a kit for the Shield as we speak. They said a month or so before it is released. No current M&P Apex parts will work on the Shield according to Apex.

I'm buying the 9mm next paycheck. I handled one today and it felt great in my hand. Looks like it will make an excellent BUG on duty and hot weather CCW.

SWAT Lt.
04-15-12, 22:45
I adjusted the sights and fired another 160rds of Federal 115 ball through the Shield today. No problems so far.

FChen17213
04-15-12, 23:10
I handled one today at my local gun store. It felt much better than I even expected. I think this will be a big hit. The trigger felt a little heavier and grittier than the M&P9s that I shoot but I think that must just be me since no one else has said that. This gun is slim for an M&P. It felt Kahr thin. The price point is also good. Makes me wonder if Smith can feasibly offer M&Ps to everyone for $400 or less and still turn a healthy profit.

cttbax
04-16-12, 19:42
Mine should be here on Thursday! I think my BG380 will be collecting dust in the safe once this one hits the proving grounds and then into carry rotation!

d90king
04-17-12, 06:08
I have been very impressed with this pistol and very impressed might be an understatement! I picked this gun up last Fri and have just under 400 rounds through it including 100 Fed 124gr HST. I have had zero issues (other than only having two mags to load)...

The gun is very easy to shoot WELL as it allows a proper grip. Recoil is very smooth and you are able to run this gun hard and fast. Both mag options offer a positive grip and have proven reliable. The sights and trigger are fine out of the bock and IMHO the trigger is better out of the box than the fullsize counterparts. Has a firm break between 6-7#'s (all from feel a gauge would be in order for precise numbers...

This gun would be the perfect BUG and I think it very well might be the finest ladies firearm. It fits my 14 year old daughters hands very well.

I think they hit a home run with this pistol and they will sell more than they can build for years to come. I think the .40 is a bit silly though...

A few pics with a Gen 3 RTF2 19

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/dbb9e218.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/66753fd7.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/6d41d804.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/20b83aba.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/4da7c162.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/e0c9647a.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/d6a356aa.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/7d5b9dcb.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/b8fb07ed.jpg

Sam
04-17-12, 06:22
d90king:

How does that miniature thumb safety feel? were you able to engage/disengage it positively?

d90king
04-17-12, 06:45
d90king:

How does that miniature thumb safety feel? were you able to engage/disengage it positively?

Its sits completely flush to the frame so it doesn't interfere in any way. It has very positive click when engaged and disengaged. I have not used it and have carried it just like I carry my Glocks.

I see no issue with the part interfering and for those that want to use it, they have it at their disposal.

jmp45
04-17-12, 09:31
Our lgs had a few, we checked it out. Wife had no problem racking. I'm hoping there isn't much recoil / muzzle flip difference from the full size mp9. She has no issues with that. It seems to fit ok in glock 26 or lc9 iwb holsters.

RepeatDefender
04-17-12, 10:53
I couldn't resist picking one up yesterday when I stopped by the LGS. I eyeballed it, noticed the price tag, fondled it, then started the paperwork. Took it home and cleaned it up. Now I just need some range time!

Lucky Strike
04-17-12, 10:56
Any chance that someone out there with a Kahr PM9/CM9 could do some comparison pics?

I've recently gotten a CM9 that's been flawless (granted I've only been able to put 125 rounds through it so far) but am intrigued by the Shield since I know it'll likely have strong aftermarket support. And while the Kahr trigger is extremely smooth, it is quite long. I like the idea of having a small single stack with a similar trigger to my Apex'd M&P9 FS.

Just would like to see some comparison pics....cause i love the size of the CM9.

stmcelroy
04-17-12, 10:59
Any chance that someone out there with a Kahr PM9/CM9 could do some comparison pics?

I've recently gotten a CM9 that's been flawless (granted I've only been able to put 125 rounds through it so far) but am intrigued by the Shield since I know it'll likely have strong aftermarket support. And while the Kahr trigger is extremely smooth, it is quite long. I like the idea of having a small single stack with a similar trigger to my Apex'd M&P9 FS.

Just would like to see some comparison pics....cause i love the size of the CM9.

Here are some pics I snapped:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Comparison%20Pics/IMG_0048.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Comparison%20Pics/IMG_0047.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Comparison%20Pics/IMG_0021.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Comparison%20Pics/IMG_0022.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Comparison%20Pics/IMG_0020.jpg