PDA

View Full Version : M16A1 for n00bs...

John Fritz
04-06-12, 12:17
Hi all, a couple of questions for the M4C.net intelligentsia. I recently added a SP6920 and a Spike's ST15 M4 to my group of firearms. I like both of these guns equally. They each have their own personality and characteristics that differentiate them from each other. But at the end of the day they are still identical rifles, more or less.

So what I'm thinking of buying next is an M16A1 - style rifle. I like the retro look of the old style stock and the 20" barrel. Is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there a particular manufacturer that specializes in this family of rifles? When I was buying my M4's everyone I asked said without hesitation to add the 6920 to my short list. Is there any gun like that in this particular case? Any other input or links to resources would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

GeorgiaBoy
04-06-12, 12:40
Unless your really wanting a fixed carry handle I would recommend you just build a M16A4 clone, minus a rail.

BCM sells fantastic A4 20" uppers.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/BCM-URG-GOV-20.htm

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj307/Magicman710/photoshoot3.jpg

Otherwise, I would recommend searching gunbroker for "FNMI M16 A2 upper". You will usually find a few used A2 original FN uppers. The only problem is you will not know their round count.

John Fritz
04-06-12, 13:27
That picture is the exact gun I have in mind.

GeorgiaBoy
04-06-12, 13:34
Well, it's technically a A4 because it has a detachable carry handle. And it has A2 not A1 furniture.

BUBBAGUNS
04-06-12, 14:01
I like A1s and A2s. I have 7 ARs and 5 of them are 20 inch guns. The other two are a mid length and an A2 Bushmaster carbine.

ccosby
04-06-12, 18:17
That picture is the exact gun I have in mind.

Yea then buy a bravo company 20 inch upper, a quality bcg(theirs if they have it in stock), and put it on a lower of your choice. Just need and a2 or a1 stock(a1 is a tiny bit shorter). Really is one of the best options for a quality 20 inch upper.

I personally bought the parts for pretty much a complete 20inch bcm gun before they started selling them complete. I just replaced the m4 stock on their complete lower with an armalite a2 stock. Just did another one as well this time using a local ffl's lower but again using a complete bcm upper.

Kokopelli
04-06-12, 18:44
I like the Colt MT6700 as well.. JMO.. Ron

ccosby
04-06-12, 18:54
I like the Colt MT6700 as well.. JMO.. Ron

Not a bad choice but I don't like how it doesn't have a flash hider. It also has a heavy barrel which as a personal choice I'd rather not have. Still a good rifle though.

Kokopelli
04-06-12, 19:01
Not a bad choice but I don't like how it doesn't have a flash hider. It also has a heavy barrel which as a personal choice I'd rather not have. Still a good rifle though.

That's true.. It's 1:9 twist as well. Personally I like the heavy barrel's, but I rarely carry them over 20'.. That would make a difference.. The absence of the flash hider looks a little odd, but I don't really need a flash hider. It shoots well and seems to be a good rifle. I probably would have bought a BCM A4 when I bought the 6700, but couldn't find one. Good thing we can have more than one, eh! Cheers.. Ron

John Fritz
04-06-12, 23:52
Well, it's technically a A4 because it has a detachable carry handle. And it has A2 not A1 furniture.
Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I want people to tell me. As simple as it may be, I don''t know a lot of it just yet.

... Personally I like the heavy barrel's, but I rarely carry them over 20' ...
That is one long barrel. ;)

GeorgiaBoy
04-07-12, 22:01
Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I want people to tell me. As simple as it may be, I don''t know a lot of it just yet.

There's really no reason to want a M16A1 over an A2. Both are nearly identical, except for a different length stock and a change in the aperture on the rear sight.

The rifle I have pictured up there was built using a BCM 20" A4 upper, which is what you would build a M16A4 clone off of. Truly an M16A4 has a Knight's Armament Rail System instead of plastic handguards, but I prefer to have plain handguards, so I consider it a A4 because the carry handle is detachable on a flat-top upper. M16's, M16A1's, M16A2's, and M16A3's(A2 with Full Auto, not just 3 round burst), all have fixed carry-handles. The A4 does not. That's why will sometimes a flattop upper receiver is called a "A4" upper.

If you don't want a A4 upper, and want a fixed carry handle, search and wait for a used FNMI A2 upper on Gunbroker.com. This will be an original, used, M16A2 upper. Add a good quality BCG from BCM, LMT, or Daniel Defense, a lower with an A2 stock and buffer assembly, and there you have a M16A2.

ccosby
04-08-12, 00:57
There's really no reason to want a M16A1 over an A2. Both are nearly identical, except for a different length stock and a change in the aperture on the rear sight.

The rifle I have pictured up there was built using a BCM 20" A4 upper, which is what you would build a M16A4 clone off of. Truly an M16A4 has a Knight's Armament Rail System instead of plastic handguards, but I prefer to have plain handguards, so I consider it a A4 because the carry handle is detachable on a flat-top upper. M16's, M16A1's, M16A2's, and M16A3's(A2 with Full Auto, not just 3 round burst), all have fixed carry-handles. The A4 does not. That's why will sometimes a flattop upper receiver is called a "A4" upper.

If you don't want a A4 upper, and want a fixed carry handle, search and wait for a used FNMI A2 upper on Gunbroker.com. This will be an original, used, M16A2 upper. Add a good quality BCG from BCM, LMT, or Daniel Defense, a lower with an A2 stock and buffer assembly, and there you have a M16A2.

I wouldn't say their isn't a reason for an a1 rear site vs an a2. Personally I prefer the a1(on a c7 upper with the brass deflector) because I have yet to see the need to adjust the elevation on the rear site for longer ranges and don't care so much to adjust for left and right once it is set. I also like how people can't screw with it as easy. Short of a competition a2 upper with a free float match barrel I think the a1 is fine.

For a kac rail it is worth mentioning that kac sells their factory seconds on their website if you want one OP. On TOS the kac rep said most of it was for issues with laser engraving and other cosmetic errors, the rails themselves are in spec. Drops the price of the rail to 150ish from a source where you know you are getting a real one.

If you decide on a fixed carry handle one ohio ordnance sells them as well. Right now they have an a2 upper with fn barrel on it.