PDA

View Full Version : stamping receivers for SRR's and post sample machine guns

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
04-06-12, 16:19
I've been looking at my options on getting a receiver engraved for my post sample guns that I'm building. There are people who can do it but I'm wanting to do it myself without buying a lot of equipment. I came up with the idea today to get this company: http://www.infinitystamps.com/steel_stamps.html to make me a steel stamp with the required information: company name, city, state and simply stamp it on the receiver with a hammer.

I realize that this is kind of red neck, but I don't really care if it gives me the desired results (I'm Rebel Rifle Ordnance anyway!). I also realize that you are going to have to knock the crap out of it to get it stamped. My only fear is if I can get it deep enough which is only .003" deep. It would damage the finish but I'm thinking I could take a pick and clean up the letters maybe color fill it. The other concern would be breaking the receiver especially on aluminum.

Comments and shoot downs are welcome.

Reagans Rascals
04-06-12, 16:30
stamp it before it is finished... I wouldn't use a hammer to stamp it... maybe try using a shop press... support the receiver so there is no distortion and then just press the stamp down just enough to leave the etch.. then just coat the rifle in whatever finish and color fill the etch if you so choose later on

Delemus
04-06-12, 17:30
I think there would be more risk of damaging the lower by trying to apply enough force to make the mark.

There is a risk damaging a lower with the hammer when the upper is removed. I dont it would be good trying to stamp it.