PDA

View Full Version : SUPPRESSOR mode..a big difference?

FN in MT
04-06-12, 16:23
NOVESKE has their switch block option. I'd like to order a 14.5" light carbine and I have a YMH can I run on a couple of other AR's. So I called to see if the YHM adapter was available...it is.

Does the switch block when switched to suppressor mode REALLY make a big difference? The only AR's I've fired with a can have NOT had that option.

Thanks,

FN in MT

Darkop
04-06-12, 19:33
NOVESKE has their switch block option. I'd like to order a 14.5" light carbine and I have a YMH can I run on a couple of other AR's. So I called to see if the YHM adapter was available...it is.

Does the switch block when switched to suppressor mode REALLY make a big difference? The only AR's I've fired with a can have NOT had that option.

Thanks,

FN in MT

It depends. I have several AR's that I run a suppressor on. Only one has a Switch Block. It's a 12.5" Crusader that I run on my M16 with a Gemtech HALO. when you run a can it creates more back pressure than without, therefor it can create an over gassed gun. When you switch to the "S" setting it reduces the gas to the BCG and reduces BCG speed. It does work. I also really like the 3rd setting where you can turn off the S/B and no gas goes to the BCG. This makes the rifle very quiet. Then you just run the action manually.

The S/B does what it was designed to do, with the benefit of also turning off the gas. With that said, I have several other SBR's that I run the HALO on and they run just fine without a S/B. It just takes the correct combination of buffer and spring and they run suppressed and unsuppressed. You can see the difference in the brass ejection pattern. I hope that helps.

Until that day,
Darkop

FN in MT
04-06-12, 19:49
Good information...Thanks. Not everyone offers a switchblock which made me wonder. I assumed it would help with the back pressure issue. Probably a handy option to have.

The options available on the AR platform are almost too much to keep ahead of. I can recall when a guy cold buy an Armalite or two different Colt AR's, that was about it.

FN in MT

MTechnik
04-06-12, 20:26
With that said, I have several other SBR's that I run the HALO on and they run just fine without a S/B. It just takes the correct combination of buffer and spring and they run suppressed and unsuppressed. You can see the difference in the brass ejection pattern. I hope that helps.

Do you need to change the buffer and spring when you put the HALO on? Or does the one combo work for both ways?

Darkop
04-06-12, 23:57
Do you need to change the buffer and spring when you put the HALO on? Or does the one combo work for both ways?

It depends on the gun (gas port size) usually I have found that a rifle that will run with a carbine buffer unsuppressed, will run with an H, H2 or H3 or "X" buffer suppressed an un suppressed with Mil Spec ammo. I have found that you just have to try different buffers and or springs to find the sweet spot to run suppressed or unsuppressed. Try it and it will run"

Until that day,
Darkop