PDA

View Full Version : New to me P30 - what should I do?

bobdavis
04-06-12, 19:39
I picked up a 9mm P30 v3 for a great deal the other day. It's been used, but I don't believe it's been shot a ton based on the wear inside.

I know the trigger return spring is borked since the slide release will come all the way out without catching on it (it's supposed to be retained by that spring, right?), but it seems to work fine.

Should I bother replacing anything given the unknown round count? Should I just go ahead and shoot it until something breaks or until I decide I want to carry it?

My intention is to carry it, but I won't do that until I've shot it for a while and trust it (and my ability to shoot it), so reliability is a concern - I just wonder if the service expectation for a P30 spring is high enough that I don't really need to worry.

I think my concern is born from my recent 1911 experience where everything had to be replaced just to get it to function decently!

Thanks!

bob

Hogsgunwild
04-06-12, 21:24
I have bought three of my four H&Ks used and amazingly, none of them have needed a thing. All of my other types of semi-autos would have needed at least recoil spring changes if not magazine spring changes by now.

Nothing scientific here, but, it was impressive to me in-as-much as my used HKs looked well worn when I got them.

chilic82
04-07-12, 09:17
I think my concern is born from my recent 1911 experience where everything had to be replaced just to get it to function decently!

bob
With this said, HK's are the exact opposite from your recent experience. At most I would replace the trigger spring and run 300 rounds thru it. If it function fine, id feel confident that it is GTG.

bobdavis
04-16-12, 18:20
As a quick update - I managed a few hundred rounds through it over the weekend of various types (Winchester NATO to Blaser Aluminum and WWB value packs) and it functioned perfectly with everything. I realize that I need to work on my thumb placement to ensure the slide stays back when it's empty and that I could probably work on the grip panels to help out with that - and that the stock sights and my eyes aren't ever going to be friendly.

Thanks -

bob

Cosmo M3
04-16-12, 19:56
Congrats and welcome to the world of HKs