PDA

View Full Version : Help Making a Homemade Target Stand (for steel targets)

TucsonFX4
04-06-12, 20:50
I've been lurking and learning for a few months and have kept my mouth shut for the most part during my time here. Mods...I don't have enough posts to ask this in the general discussion forum and I don't see where else this topic may fit. Please move this thread as necessary.

I recently received the multi pack of steel silhouettes from wideners and I am trying to figure out how best to make portable stands for them to use when I go out in the desert to shoot.

My initial plan was some sort of tripod and use one chain on each side of the target and then each chain hooked to the post on it's respective side. The posts would join together at the top with some sort of joint for quick/easy assembly. I'm not going to be leaving the targets in place, so I'm wanting a relatively lightweight setup that i can carry a couple hundred yards and put together quickly. The easy disassembly feature would also be useful in replacing damaged components from ricochets/misses.

I don't need to stick with the format I just mentioned, I was just saying it to give everyone an idea as to what I was thinking of. Does anyone have any setups/ideas that would work for me that you can share?

Thanks!

galz71
04-06-12, 21:08
i made mine out of 5 pcs of 4' 3/4 pipe and 4 elbows that u would use for gas lines ect. Holds my two steel targets. I drilled holes in pipe to hang chains with nuts, bolts. It all unscrews and is quick to set up, take down

AMMOTECH
04-07-12, 11:28
I use this for cardboard targets but you could use this as a base and mod it hold the steel.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

markdh720
04-07-12, 12:10
^^^^
I also use that stand for paper, but you could take the idea and use black pipe rather that PVC. You could probably find the lengths you want threaded on the ends, so it would disassemble.

The biggest disadvantage is weight. I also, personally, don't know how well black pipe stands against 5.56, but I'm sure it's better than PVC.

I just reread galz71's post. I think he's got the right idea as well with drilling holes. I would drill holes in the top and bottom crossbars and chain both ends for stabilization.

ryr8828
04-07-12, 12:31
It's heavy but it comes apart and it works. I made 3 and have them at 100, 140, and 200 yds.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz284/ryr8828/hostagetarget003.jpg

TucsonFX4
04-07-12, 12:33
Thanks for the ideas. galz71, would you mine posting a pic or two, or describing your setup a little more?

The pvc idea seems like it may not hold up well to the extra abuse it would receive shooting steel, and converting it to metal pipe would most likely way a good bit. There is just too much material used in the base if i were to convert it to metal pipe and have to lug it around through the desert I think.

Keep the ideas coming.

ryr8828
04-07-12, 12:42
Ricochets off of the pipe would worry me some, maybe I'm off base. I made mine out of wood so the only ricochets I have to worry about are hitting the edge of the target and I figured that would deform the bullet enough that it would lose a lot of steam.

feedramp
04-07-12, 13:04
Definitely wood for the uprights and framing, possibly consider PVC for the base if you want it to be more durable over time when used on a damp or wet ground location. With PVC it's an easy wipe-clean of the base before packing it up, vs wood soaking up some of the moisture and clinging dirt/sand.

For something you're manually setting up and taking down at each shoot, keep it light.

ofdlt
04-07-12, 13:12
The $9 shepperds hook from Home Depot or Lowes have served me well. Hold up to tons of abuse eaisly replaced when needed and easy to transport. There are for hanging plants. I have 6, 8 and 10 inch targets hanging from them.

Pax
04-07-12, 15:31
Galz's sounds like mine. He just used elbows and tubes instead of bolts and flat stock. Your local Home Depot should carry flat steel stock and right angled ones. Bevel the bottom, hammer it into the ground. Drill holes and bolt to other stock. Create whatever configuration fulfills your needs. FWIW, I think Galz's setup is smarter. Ive had some issues with the threads on my bolts getting so flattened by pounding into the ground and general abuse when transporting that the nuts no longer lock up solid on them. The targets stay up, but a good wind will shake the stand. Also, any stake system will work with a wider variety of terrains and angles than any system relying on a base that you build, assuming youre not trying to stake it into loose sand.

D.O.A.F.S.
04-07-12, 21:49
It's not real glamorous but I just went to Lowes and bought a couple of 2x4's and one of their saw horse kits. I hang the steel by chains with eyelets screwed in the top 2x4. The top 2x4 gets tore up from the bullet splatter but no big deal to replace as needed. Easy to carry and set up.

TucsonFX4
04-07-12, 23:20
Thanks for all the input. I will have to make another trip to lowes to look at the options based on everyones suggestions. Right now, I think I'll look at the saw horse suggestion, shepherds hook, and using pipes and elbows.

I'll keep checking this thread for any other suggestions as it will be a couple days before I can get to lowes.

Thanks for your help.

Sticks
04-08-12, 05:49
For weight savings, I'd go with 2" PVC pipe and fittings for the base, and wood 2x2 for the uprights and top piece.

The wood will take a few hits from errant rounds and splatter, PVC fittings are cheap and light (carry spare elbows and "T"s).

Comes apart easy and won't weigh that much.

TucsonFX4
04-08-12, 13:03
For weight savings, I'd go with 2" PVC pipe and fittings for the base, and wood 2x2 for the uprights and top piece.

The wood will take a few hits from errant rounds and splatter, PVC fittings are cheap and light (carry spare elbows and "T"s).

Comes apart easy and won't weigh that much.

I think this would be another viabl option regarding weight and assembly. However, I would be concerned that the pvc base would get chewed up quickly from splatter. I will keep this in mind though.

Thanks.

Sticks
04-09-12, 04:00
2x2 would be cheaper than the PVC, then all you need are the elbows and fittings.

If the base T's get chewed up, you could try iron fittings.

Brasilnuts
04-09-12, 08:35
I thought this was an interesting idea, but i would change a few things.

I would continue the bend on the bottom to make a complete triangle for the base. I would try to figure out some other way to fix the target to the stand.

http://www.gunforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/11510/