PDA

View Full Version : What work, and who to do it?

_rab_
04-06-12, 21:44
My M&P 9mm Pro needs some TLC. It's front sight is no longer stationary, and the fiber-optic insert broke and fell out. Neither of these are a fault of the gun, aparently I twist my hand slightly when un-holstering, and the front sight post hits the side of the kydex holster. Doing that enough has damaged the unit.

Since it needs work, I figured I'd replace the front sight completely, probably put in a small night sight. If I send it somewhere, I'd might as well get it stippled, and have the innards polished. I don't need the trigger pull lightened, and I don't seem to have an issue with the reset.

I have several questions I would appreciate input on.
1. What front sight? This is a target gun, as such, I would like a sight that is smaller than average. I just want to be able to see it in the dark.

2. Who should I send it to? I know Grant does great work. Heard great things about Burwell, etc. Lots of choices.

3. Add Apex parts, or just have it all polished? It does not have any function issues, so I don't need anything 'fixed', but, anything that would improve the shooting experience is welcome.

4. Finally, what would you do to it? This will be my first time sending a gun to be customized, so I'm open to advice from anyone more knowledgeable. Maybe I should just send it to Smith, and have them fix it under warranty.

Any input is welcome, I appreciate your time.
Rab

sboza
04-06-12, 22:42
I am not very familiar with m&p. I've shot a few but don't own one. What kind of sights came installed on the gun (plastic or metal?). You say that due to a training issue with your draw, the front sight has come loose after a while. This is unacceptable. I've banged around the front sights on my glocks (warrens) in every way imaginable and they haven't come loose. Unless there is some issue with m&p sights, I think yours were probably installed badly.

Like I said, I don't have the knowledge regarding competition or the m&p platform to be helpful. I just found the idea that you can dislocate your front sight with an odd draw unlikely. My money is on a bad install.

More knowledgeable folks will surely be around momentarily to help you.

Ty_B
04-07-12, 09:10
FWIW, except for the polishing, which it seems like you may not want, you can do all of that work yourself. Apex parts are easy to install - just follow the video.

Worst case you buy a sight pusher, but if you shoot competitively (assuming from M&P Pro), hopefully that means you shoot a lot and have more than one of the same type of gun, so you'll be able to use it later on other guns. Plus then you can more easily change the front sight if you don't like your first guess.

Stippling is cave man simple unless you want it to look like a show piece. Stippling for grip requires a $20 tool and an hour of free time.

Personally, I wouldn't send a gun out to have what you described done to it, but I don't care if the stippling looks less than perfect. Now, if you want an RMR, polishing, new barrel fit, etc. then I would never attempt something like that on my own.

_rab_
04-07-12, 15:01
What kind of sights came installed on the gun (plastic or metal?). You say that due to a training issue with your draw, the front sight has come loose after a while. This is unacceptable. I've banged around the front sights on my glocks (warrens) in every way imaginable and they haven't come loose. Unless there is some issue with m&p sights, I think yours were probably installed badly.

To answer your question, it is a metal sight. The difference is design; the glock front sight screws into place, the M&P sight slides into place, and I assume is locktighted.
This model is designed to be a target pistol, not a combat pistol. I don't have an issue with it's design. Everyone who owns a Pro recognizes that the fiber-optic insert in the sight will break over time. In other words, it's not designed to be a combat-hardened weapon. For what it's worth, poor holster design could have caused the locktight to break, but I assume it is a flaw in my draw.

I would probably benefit from polishing the components, and fitting a new barrel.
For the reccord, this is my Wife's birthday present to me, I just need to figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for the input, I welcome any more.
Rab

04-07-12, 16:28
Contact Virginia Arms. No one on this board is going to argue their quality of work.

kingsford
04-09-12, 08:48
Instead of sending it to someone that is not local try finding a local gunsmith to do the work. Support your local community. My local smith went out of business do to lack of work. He was also my FFl dealer. The last year most of his work was shipping peoples gun out for custom work or repair. This guy was a factory trained smith for S&W, Colt, and a couple other companies able to do warranty work. check out your loacl smith you could be suprized.

C4IGrant
04-09-12, 09:13
Instead of sending it to someone that is not local try finding a local gunsmith to do the work. Support your local community. My local smith went out of business do to lack of work. He was also my FFl dealer. The last year most of his work was shipping peoples gun out for custom work or repair. This guy was a factory trained smith for S&W, Colt, and a couple other companies able to do warranty work. check out your loacl smith you could be suprized.

This is of course an option, but even a factory trained S&W Armorer doesn't have the same knowledge on doing trigger work (or anything about after market parts for the gun) like I do for the M&P.

Break Break

OP, if the gun was mine, I would either go with the Apex Tactical FSS or if this is a defensive tool, I would go with the Apex Tactical DCAEK.

We offer a polishing service as well that really clean up the trigger pull.

Also, if the gun was purchased PRIOR to the Summer of 2011, you most likely need to get a new Sear Housing Block (as you have the old one with the small sear plunger and plunger spring).

In the near future, we will have over sized barrels for the M&P and will be able to fit one to your gun.

C4

_rab_
04-10-12, 22:15
Thanks Grant. That's what I was looking for.
By the way kingsford, I appreciate your advice about keeping it local, however there are no 'local' decent gunsmiths in my area. I'd probably find someone if I went to Dallas, but that's not exactly local. At that point, I'd rather support someone who has been a good example here on forums.

FChen17213
04-10-12, 23:36
Just making a guess, but are the oversized barrels to address the 9mm accuracy issues? G&R offers top notch products and services as a one stop shop at a great price! Grant's DCAEK and trigger job really improve the M&P's trigger pull a lot.

C4IGrant
04-11-12, 08:44
Just making a guess, but are the oversized barrels to address the 9mm accuracy issues? G&R offers top notch products and services as a one stop shop at a great price! Grant's DCAEK and trigger job really improve the M&P's trigger pull a lot.

Correct.

C4