PDA

View Full Version : M9 sight question

gimpy
04-06-12, 23:29
I bought myself am M9 as a piece of persnal nostalgia last month for my birthday, and have been less than impressed by the difference in poa/ poi. At 25 to 30 feet it shoots about 6 inches low, and slightly to the left. I've let others shoot it, and they have the same issue. Has anyone here run into this problem or heard of a solution? Better yet, would Beretta even care about it if I called them?

warpedcamshaft
04-07-12, 00:39
Have you tried several bullet weights? I have seen certain guns move POI significantly with different bullets.

Steve in PA
04-07-12, 02:31
It's been quite some time since I shot my Beretta, but I seem to remember the POI being covered by the dot of the front sight.

In other words, if you are used to the POI being at the top of the front sight, dotting the "I" as it is often refered to, when shooting the Beretta your shots will be low.

CAVDOC
04-07-12, 08:54
most important thing on a Beretta- black out those dots on the sights or ignore them- equal height equal light is the answer- LOTS of people mistakenly trained to look at the dots on the sights have poa poi issues and not just on berettas- the sights usually shoot to poa or close- the dots will not.

ShipWreck
04-07-12, 11:43
Sight picture 3 is how the Beretta shoots with 3 dot sights. Now, on the M9 - you will see that there is actually 2 depressions in the rear sight where white paint could be placed.

They use the same rear sight for the M9 and 92FS - they just paint a different section, depending on what gun it goes on...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Website%20Stuff/sightimages.jpg

Steve in PA
04-07-12, 18:00
I do remember getting a higher rear sight so that I didn't have to shoot my Beretta (POA/POI) any different than my other handguns.

Straight Shooter
04-08-12, 10:07
I know mine shoots about 6" low with 147gr. ammo.
With 115gr. and 124+P ammo, its a poa/poi laser.

Gutshot John
04-08-12, 11:22
Low, slightly left? Right handed shooter?

Trigger control...I would bet it's the shooter/s not the gun.

SOWT
04-08-12, 12:02
Sight picture 3 is how the Beretta shoots with 3 dot sights. Now, on the M9 - you will see that there is actually 2 depressions in the rear sight where white paint could be placed.

They use the same rear sight for the M9 and 92FS - they just paint a different section, depending on what gun it goes on...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Website%20Stuff/sightimages.jpg

Interesting, I don't recall the CATM's guys telling us to put the dot on target, but seem to recall them telling us to line the sights up. I know we have at least one CATM guy here, maybe he'll chime in.

ShipWreck
04-08-12, 13:58
Interesting, I don't recall the CATM's guys telling us to put the dot on target, but seem to recall them telling us to line the sights up. I know we have at least one CATM guy here, maybe he'll chime in.

Go to the Beretta Forum - that's how the 92FS works.. I have nine of them too. They all sight in at #3.

SOWT
04-08-12, 21:24
Go to the Beretta Forum - that's how the 92FS works.. I have nine of them too. They all sight in at #3.

I'll take mine out and try it on Tuesday, just thought it was strange that the folks tasked to train us left an important detail out.

Redhat
04-08-12, 21:48

Our M9s did not have the 3-dot sights. They had the half dot rear and full dot front. In any event, we taught shooters to ignore them and use the top edge of the front and rear sights, POA/POI was where these edges were on the target (Sight Image #2). Also keep in mind we were only concerned with 124 gr M882 NATO ammo.

ShipWreck
04-08-12, 21:59
Our M9s did not have the 3-dot sights. They had the half dot rear and full dot front.

Yes, I addressed that in my 1st post. They actually are the exact same rear sight - it's just where they put the paint...

Redhat
04-08-12, 22:02
Yes, I addressed that in my 1st post. They actually are the exact same rear sight - it's just where they put the paint...

I often wondered why they bothered. I suppose you might be able to see it during limited visibility.

You have a picture of that one for those who might be interested?

ShipWreck
04-09-12, 09:43
I looked online and didn't see a decent pic. My camera doesn't like taking decent photos of black objects close up. So, I do not have any pictures.

But, the rear sight is the same. There are 2 "dot" depressions, and then an area at the bottom for the "post". It saves money for Beretta to just use the single rear sights - and then paint whatever part they need.

So, even with the dot and post, the front dot should be covering the target

maddawg5777
04-09-12, 13:15
CATM always taught us to use the tip of the front sight as well. My duty M9 shot POA/POI using the tip of the front sight same as my 92a1 with 115/124 grain loads. I haven't gone any heavier than 124 in my personal gun so not sure what 147s would do.

KiloSierra
04-12-12, 08:58
My 92A1 shoots POA/POI with Winchester 147 gr. JHP's and 124 gr. NATO ball using the same sight picture as #2.

brickboy240
04-12-12, 12:42
I think Shipwreck has you covered on the sight issue.

My 96F sights the same way....number 3.

I did not know this for a long time and it drove me nuts at first.

- brickboy240