PDA

View Full Version : Streamlight Stinger Terralux Conversion - Circuitry Issues?

ST911
04-07-12, 02:02
Anyone aware of Terralux conversions creating circuitry issues in their SL Stinger hosts, esp as it relates to charging? SL is blaming a conversion for a problem, stating "not ours." Understandable that they don't feel obligated to fix a converted light. I'm curious about the veracity of their claim, however.

Patric
04-07-12, 15:03
The LED upgrade is completely out of the loop when the flashlight goes on the charger, unless the switch is on.

What happens when you put the flashlight on the charger? Do you have more than one charger? More than one battery? Do they all fail to charge?

Is it the older 220 lumen or newer 300 lumen version?

The 220 version had some problems. And Terralux knows about them.
Have you tried calling TerraLux? They have good customer service, they have replaced two 220 upgrades for me no questions asked.

ST911
04-07-12, 16:20
The LED upgrade is completely out of the loop when the flashlight goes on the charger, unless the switch is on. What happens when you put the flashlight on the charger? Do you have more than one charger? More than one battery? Do they all fail to charge? Is it the older 220 lumen or newer 300 lumen version? The 220 version had some problems. And Terralux knows about them. Have you tried calling TerraLux? They have good customer service, they have replaced two 220 upgrades for me no questions asked.

The problem Stinger is an incan DS with Terralux (220?) conversion. It runs fine, but will not recharge. I have a bunch of Stingers, batteries, and chargers to swap and the problem is following the light. When any battery is charged in another light, the defective light will run on it through reasonable burn time. The conversion will run on other lights. The light will not charge with or without the conversion.

Chargers, good.
Batteries, good.
Conversion, good.
Flashlight, bad. SL says it's not their problem and is caused by the Terralux. I'm calling shenanigans.

I'm open to any ideas.

Patric
04-07-12, 16:54
I'm sure you have looked but I have to ask, are the contacts on the bottom of the flashlight that engage the charger dirty?

If every component does everything it should, and the only thing that will not work is when you take that particular flashlight 'chassis' and put it on a charger, then the circuit between the two prongs on the charger and the battery is broken some where.

I have seen these light fail to charge for many reasons but two common ones have to do with the contacts on the light.
1) The contacts are dirty and need to get hit with some scotch brite.

2) The plastic triangle that surrounds the two screws gets gouged up and material from it is displaced enough to prevent the contact from touching the charger.

Do you have access to a test meter?

ST911
04-08-12, 17:15
I'm sure you have looked but I have to ask, are the contacts on the bottom of the flashlight that engage the charger dirty?

If every component does everything it should, and the only thing that will not work is when you take that particular flashlight 'chassis' and put it on a charger, then the circuit between the two prongs on the charger and the battery is broken some where.

I have seen these light fail to charge for many reasons but two common ones have to do with the contacts on the light.
1) The contacts are dirty and need to get hit with some scotch brite.

2) The plastic triangle that surrounds the two screws gets gouged up and material from it is displaced enough to prevent the contact from touching the charger.

Do you have access to a test meter?

Triangle is good. Charging contacts are clean. I'm going to disassemble it again and see what I can see. Yes, I have a test meter. What should I check particularly?

Patric
04-08-12, 18:35
Put a battery in it, you should be able to get a voltage reading between the two contacts (the screws) on the outside where it engages the charger.

Have you ever had it apart? Replaced the switch?

SmokeJumper
04-10-12, 23:08
I have the Terra Lux conversions in three Stingers, Ultra Stinger and an SL20X without issues. However, I did have to send the SL20X in for a warranty, the switch went out and needed replacement. I removed the conversion before mailing it back in for service. Try these guys out west in California:
Name: Markell Inc.
Street: 1520 Mark West Springs Rd
Santa Rosa, ca 95401-
Phone: (707) 573-0792

They are and authorized Streamlight dealer and warranty repair facility for Streamlight. See what they say and send the your light without the conversion, just a thought.

Patric
04-11-12, 19:11
Put a battery in it, you should be able to get a voltage reading between the two contacts (the screws) on the outside where it engages the charger.

Have you ever had it apart? Replaced the switch?

On second thought, I think there is a diode in the switch assembly that would prevent the battery voltage from being present at the external charging contacts.

I like SmokeJumpers idea :D

I am on my second switch assembly now.