PDA

View Full Version : Designer Tactical?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-07-12, 10:42
I know this may rub people here the wrong way, but what is it with alot of you guys and the designer tactical that you are wearing these days?

$230 for hoodies, $500 for softshell jackets, and God knows how much money for whatever you saw Costa wearing on youtube.

I think a man should be able to spend his money on whatever he wants, and if that is what floats your boat then go ahead. But what is it about a $230 hoodie that makes it worth the price? What is it about a TAD or Arcteryx jacket that make full grown men start accesorizing themselves and asking eachother where they are buying their clothes?

DacoRoman
04-07-12, 10:55
I know this may rub people here the wrong way, but what is it with alot of you guys and the designer tactical that you are wearing these days?

$230 for hoodies, $500 for softshell jackets, and God knows how much money for whatever you saw Costa wearing on youtube.

I think a man should be able to spend his money on whatever he wants, and if that is what floats your boat then go ahead. But what is it about a $230 hoodie that makes it worth the price? What is it about a TAD or Arcteryx jacket that make full grown men start accesorizing themselves and asking eachother where they are buying their clothes?

:D, if I wanna make myself puke all I need to do is say is "Tactical Fashion" .... Well the only "tactical" gear I have are a pair of 5.11 pants I got from the discount page for like 39 bucks or something, but I am considering buying an outfit of high quality mountaineering gear from the long johns to the pants and outer shell to have as good survival gear. Since this would probably mean close to $2000 most probably I haven't done the research or the decision to go for it yet. But spending good money for the performance, weight, and durability of the item is legitimate. Spending the money cause your tactical man crush is wearing it is revolting :)

Ironman8
04-07-12, 11:19

I definitely know what you're saying and the "type" of people you're talking about, but I personally will only drop the coin on "designer tactical" garments that will enhance performance or serve a specific purpose for ME...not because some big name guy wears it.

An example would be the Arcteryx Atom LT Jacket. If you have ever worn one for any length of time, you would know that there is not a fleece garment on the market that can offer the features that the Atom LT can. Because of this, it has pretty much replaced any fleece top that I own.

On the other side of the coin, I will absolutely not drop coin on the TAD softshells. My $60 Condor softshell has proved to do just as much as TAD at a MUCH lower price. It may not hold up quite as long as TAD, but I see it as a "wear item" that will get beat up and probably need replacing down the line...I would feel much better about replacing a $60 item than a $350 item!

C-grunt
04-07-12, 12:10
I got a pair of tactical black flip flops from Walmart last year. Makes me feel like a Ninja.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-07-12, 12:20
I definitely know what you're saying and the "type" of people you're talking about, but I personally will only drop the coin on "designer tactical" garments that will enhance performance or serve a specific purpose for ME...not because some big name guy wears it.

An example would be the Arcteryx Atom LT Jacket. If you have ever worn one for any length of time, you would know that there is not a fleece garment on the market that can offer the features that the Atom LT can. Because of this, it has pretty much replaced any fleece top that I own.

On the other side of the coin, I will absolutely not drop coin on the TAD softshells. My $60 Condor softshell has proved to do just as much as TAD at a MUCH lower price. It may not hold up quite as long as TAD, but I see it as a "wear item" that will get beat up and probably need replacing down the line...I would feel much better about replacing a $60 item than a $350 item!

I guess I was sort of aiming this thread at the ones who I believe are more into this for the fashion, cool gear, and online attaboys. To those like you who are putting your gear through its paces, then who could take issue with that?

I suppose this all stems fro reading the facebook page of Costa and seeing how many men ask what pants/shoes/shirt/socks he is wearing, and then getting on this forum and seeing some of the same behaviour.

deadlyfire
04-07-12, 12:22
Can this also refer to the civilian shooters who are head to toe in multicam?

Ironman8
04-07-12, 12:26
I guess I was sort of aiming this thread at the ones who I believe are more into this for the fashion, cool gear, and online attaboys. To those like you who are putting your gear through its paces, then who could take issue with that?

I suppose this all stems fro reading the facebook page of Costa and seeing how many men ask what pants/shoes/shirt/socks he is wearing, and then getting on this forum and seeing some of the same behaviour.

Ha yeah I hear you. The only reason I responded is because I think it is a good topic since I often have to evaluate gear selection and the REAL reason I "need" it.

Shoot, I didn't even know Costa had a FB page!...logging on...now! :haha:

montanadave
04-07-12, 13:18
Perhaps it's only a matter of time before one of the "man channels" starts airing a "What Not to Wear" show for tactical gear or "Say Yes to the Holster." :no:

militarymoron
04-07-12, 13:53
it's no different from gun accessories, gear, watches, a nice steak dinner, sushi - whatever. does the civvie buying an S&B really get his money's worth, vs buying an optic a quarter of the price? how about $2500 custom 1911's vs a glock?
actually, i can see spending $250 on a jacket that gets worn every day vs. $500 on an optic that gets use only at the range.
same thing with what people drive. people like well-made clothing like well-made cars, guns, etc; whether or not they use them to their full potential.

deadlyfire
04-07-12, 14:13
I wear a 250$ jacket every day since I got it. So I agree with MM

Voodoo_Man
04-07-12, 14:48
I wear stuff down, beat the crap out of gear on a daily basis.

If something lasts twice as long as something else, and costs twice the cost, while offering some things that the cheaper product does not then why not try it?

Moose-Knuckle
04-07-12, 15:38
I picked up a $500 Arc'teryx (made in Canada not China) softshell for $250 on clearance at Amron.

If you look at the price of hipster outdoor clothing like The North Face, Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, et al. you will find that $250 really is not that insane of a price for a top notch garment that will keep you warm when it's cold and dry when it's wet.

theblackknight
04-07-12, 15:48
LOL@ dudes with Suunto X10's just so they can geo cache.

Multicam is cheaper then realtree seems like, but I just wear my woodland frog's.

Snivle gear is different, it sucks being at the range, or on the mountain, and freezing/wet.

BTW, if you were a hipster tent camped out in some park in Wash DC with the OWS crowd,you'd demand the most from your cold weather gear too! It's fkcing cold!

skullworks
04-07-12, 15:49
Well the only "tactical" gear I have are a pair of 5.11 pants I got from the discount page for like 39 bucks or something, but I am considering buying an outfit of high quality mountaineering gear from the long johns to the pants and outer shell to have as good survival gear. Since this would probably mean close to $2000 most probably I haven't done the research or the decision to go for it yet. But spending good money for the performance, weight, and durability of the item is legitimate. Spending the money cause your tactical man crush is wearing it is revolting :)
I would not spend $1 on 5.11 clothing. I liked them well enough when they were Royal Robbins 5.11, but as soon as they became tacticool they forgot how to use a sewing machine.

On the other hand I don't have any problems spending $55-65 on ah pair of Rail Riders or pants from Duluth Trading Company - clothing that will actually hold up.

Sent using Tapatalk

SkiDevil
04-07-12, 17:30
In reading this thread, I recalled another posting on Kyle Defoor's site/ blog. The article is about half-way down the page.

Link: http://www.kyledefoor.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=50

I agree with others, and to each his own. If you want to spend "X" number of dollars, then more power to you.

As for myself, I have purchased North-Face, Royal Robbins, Columbia, Patagonia, L.L. Bean, and other 'Hipster' clothing in the past.

All I could say is that if your activities take you up into the mountains or into a very cold environment, then quality gear becomes a priority. So, $500.00 for a winter-weather coat is not an issue for me. And on the flip-side, I have several pieces of outdoor clothes (jackets, parkas, boots) that have lasted many years and remain acceptable in appearance and functional.

Under the right conditions, well made outdoor clothing really displays it's worth.

SkiDevil

P.S. I have personally found many pieces of outdoor gear from Columbia and L.L. Bean to provide alot of "bang for your buck." If anyone knows of other quality brands for less please share.

C4IGrant
04-07-12, 20:24

I have all those brands you mentioned. :D

For me, it is about quality or design (or both). As far as "accessorizing," I have no idea what that means. What I pay attention to is:

1. Does it last (quality made)?
2. Does it perform like it says it should?
3. Does it allow me to hide a firearm, carry a firearm or draw a firearm better/faster/easier?

If the answer is yes to the above, I am generally interested (no matter the cost).

Does the above make me "gear snob?" Could be, but I am fine with that.

C4

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-07-12, 23:21
Carhartt

Done

Alex V
04-08-12, 09:55
OP, would you make fun of someone who bought a Tom Ford or Burberry suit because they saw it on a famous person and said "hey, we have the same body type and the suit fits him very well, looks good". It may be a silly reason that began the journey to purchasing that item, but if you were looking for it in the first place this may have been a way for you to see a brand/article you may have otherwise not known about or considered.

There was a thread on here where people discussed watches and some of the examples posted make my Tag look like a calculator watch from the early 90's. Are those people silly for buying them? A friend of mine bought a Brightling, he has no idea how to use the outer bessel functions to calculate time/distance and so on, he is not a pilot. But hey, if he wants that watch why not?

As far as posting questions about the gear people like Costa are using, it's similar to reading the reviews that people like MM post up. Similar only because I don't know the conditions under which rather person was given the item that may sway their opinion. But I will tend to believe that they will be honest. Some people are just looking for an honest opinion on the items they are interested about.

I am sure some ask just because they want to copy, but others are genuenly interested in opinions of good quality gear.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-08-12, 11:45
OP, would you make fun of someone who bought a Tom Ford or Burberry suit because they saw it on a famous person and said "hey, we have the same body type and the suit fits him very well, looks good".

If someone looked at an actor and wore what he wears everyday, inquires about it, and feels like wearing it will make them a better actor, then I would make fun of them all day.

There are grown men who hang off of shooting instructors nuts. That doesnt seem weird to anyone? Again, not accusing anyone of doing it, especially here since most of us are actual shooters.

J-Dub
04-08-12, 11:46
Carhartt

Done

Yes! Although some of their stuff is outrageous too.

By all means buy what you want. I wont ever know what a $500 softshell is like, i'm too much of a tightwad....even if i had the money lol.

Arent there a few names floating around out there for people like the OP is talking about? "Gear Queer" "Gear Bomber" ect...

Alex V
04-08-12, 12:28
If someone looked at an actor and wore what he wears everyday, inquires about it, and feels like wearing it will make them a better actor, then I would make fun of them all day.

There are grown men who hang off of shooting instructors nuts. That doesnt seem weird to anyone? Again, not accusing anyone of doing it, especially here since most of us are actual shooters.

Can't argue that point at all. But do people really think buying an Arc'Teryx jacket will make em better shooters? I think the two camps are divided into those who want to know oppinions on what works best because they may experience similar conditions and those who just want to look like their "idols" the latter may be silly I agree but I don't think they are under any illusion that they will somehow be as good just by wearing the same shit. If they do, I would make fun of them as well.

militarymoron
04-08-12, 13:06
But do people really think buying an Arc'Teryx jacket will make em better shooters?

no more than buying a better motorcycle jacket will make you a better rider. but, in general a better quality motorcycle jacket will provide more protection than a cheaper one, just like a better jacket may provide more protection in inclement weather when you need it.

what i don't understand is why people make fun of, or even care what others do with their own money. if buying a better jacket makes someone feel better about themselves, so what? how's that different from buying the rifle that they're 'idol' uses? i have more of an issue with those who make fun of others to feel better about themselves.

if a person thinks that they're better than someone because the other person can't shoot as well or wants to spend more on a jacket, then that person has their own self confidence issues.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-08-12, 13:48
no more than buying a better motorcycle jacket will make you a better rider. but, in general a better quality motorcycle jacket will provide more protection than a cheaper one, just like a better jacket may provide more protection in inclement weather when you need it.

what i don't understand is why people make fun of, or even care what others do with their own money. if buying a better jacket makes someone feel better about themselves, so what? how's that different from buying the rifle that they're 'idol' uses? i have more of an issue with those who make fun of others to feel better about themselves.

if a person thinks that they're better than someone because the other person can't shoot as well or wants to spend more on a jacket, then that person has their own self confidence issues.

Meh, pyschoanalysis aside, I still think its silly to watch grown men dress themselves like another grown man in a feverish way. But whatever floats your boat I guess, Im probably just as guilty in different facets of life. It still makes me laugh, even when I do it.

Voodoo_Man
04-08-12, 13:53
A buddy of mine is an advertising person working for a very big name media source.

He told me that they can literally target specific markets with specific types of advertising and get excellent results.

Truth is that we are a very specific type of market, being targeted by a very specific type of advertising.

If we never had contact with a specific type of product, no one ever wore it, no one ever endorsed it, no one ever tried it, what is the likelihood of one of us buying it as opposed to all the above being in the affirmative?

When we see someone "doing what we do" or "what we like" using a specific type of product with positive results it is in our nature as humans to want to get that same result with the same product (or some similar).

militarymoron
04-08-12, 14:31
But whatever floats your boat I guess, Im probably just as guilty in different facets of life. It still makes me laugh, even when I do it.
that's my point - we're probably all guilty of it, in some form or another. i know i am. it'd be hypocritical for me to make fun of someone for doing something similar. i know what i may do might look silly to some other people. and like you, i laugh at myself too. i just do what i think is cool to me, not because others think it is or isn't.

like voodoo man said, we're all susceptible to marketing, whether it be the clothing we wear, the cars we drive, the booze or food we drink etc.

these types of threads have come up before, and the reason i feel strongly about them is that i'm looking beyond the actual items being discussed (in this case, jackets, clothing etc). i observe a couple of things that are common to them:
1. the motives or reasons for why people want to buy things they may not need are questioned.
2. they're made fun of and put down

this also goes for folks buying stuff of lower quality than what we deem is appropriate. so, we make fun of people buying expensive stuff they don't need, and chide them for buying cheap shit because it's not up to our standards.

the concern i have when i see behavior like this extends far beyond the confines of this site - it's the questioning of 'need' vs. 'want'. if someone wants to play dress-up and look like his idol, he has the right to, no matter how stupid it may seem to us. extrapolate that to people questioning why we 'need' the guns we have to play 'rambo', or own more guns than we 'need'. or drive cars that can exceed the speed limit. or spending time going to church. it's no different.

people are different. they buy and do things for different reasons, and the fact that we may not understand another person's justification for spending his money doesn't mean we're 'better' because we don't share that reason for doing so.

so, just think about it. when you start questioning and making fun of others for doing something that you can't relate to, you're doing the same thing to them as someone else who criticizes YOU for what they don't understand about YOU.

no psychoanalysis - just the old 'do unto others as you would have done unto you' adage. i'm hoping that at M4C, we can set the example of how to act towards one another.

chuckman
04-08-12, 14:44
I really get wrapped around the axle on this. On the one hand, it's your money, why should I give a rat's ass what you buy? On the other, I have seen, we ALL have seen, "those" people at classes/gun shows/matches, etc., all 345 pounds of them, decked out in the latest multicam and most expensive gear but can't hit the broad side of the barn and can't run from here to there without looking like they are about to have a MI.

I do suffer from a lot of the angt in decision-making about quality vs. what you need. Example: my oldest son just turned 10, and I want to get the kids into camping. Do I buy the $$$ North Face or the $ Wal-Mart, knowing that for the next couple years most of our camping will be in the backyard?

Personally, I buy the gear/clothes that I need for whatever "mission" or job, be it low-end or high(er)-end.

Voodoo_Man
04-08-12, 14:51
that's my point - we're probably all guilty of it, in some form or another. i know i am. it'd be hypocritical for me to make fun of someone for doing something similar. i know what i may do might look silly to some other people. and like you, i laugh at myself too. i just do what i think is cool to me, not because others think it is or isn't.

like voodoo man said, we're all susceptible to marketing, whether it be the clothing we wear, the cars we drive, the booze or food we drink etc.

these types of threads have come up before, and the reason i feel strongly about them is that i'm looking beyond the actual items being discussed (in this case, jackets, clothing etc). i observe a couple of things that are common to them:
1. the motives or reasons for why people want to buy things they may not need are questioned.
2. they're made fun of and put down

this also goes for folks buying stuff of lower quality than what we deem is appropriate. so, we make fun of people buying expensive stuff they don't need, and chide them for buying cheap shit because it's not up to our standards.

the concern i have when i see behavior like this extends far beyond the confines of this site - it's the questioning of 'need' vs. 'want'. if someone wants to play dress-up and look like his idol, he has the right to, no matter how stupid it may seem to us. extrapolate that to people questioning why we 'need' the guns we have to play 'rambo', or own more guns than we 'need'. or drive cars that can exceed the speed limit. or spending time going to church. it's no different.

people are different. they buy and do things for different reasons, and the fact that we may not understand another person's justification for spending his money doesn't mean we're 'better' because we don't share that reason for doing so.

so, just think about it. when you start questioning and making fun of others for doing something that you can't relate to, you're doing the same thing to them as someone else who criticizes YOU for what they don't understand about YOU.

no psychoanalysis - just the old 'do unto others as you would have done unto you' adage. i'm hoping that at M4C, we can set the example of how to act towards one another.

All excellent points.

I would also like to add another old adage - different folks, different strokes.

Just because it may seem completely pointless or some other derogatory comment one can make for a specific piece of kit or gear does not make it so. Like you said, I hope we all have enough maturity to act respectfully towards each other and our respective choices in particular items.

Voodoo_Man
04-08-12, 14:57
I really get wrapped around the axle on this. On the one hand, it's your money, why should I give a rat's ass what you buy? On the other, I have seen, we ALL have seen, "those" people at classes/gun shows/matches, etc., all 345 pounds of them, decked out in the latest multicam and most expensive gear but can't hit the broad side of the barn and can't run from here to there without looking like they are about to have a MI.

I do suffer from a lot of the angt in decision-making about quality vs. what you need. Example: my oldest son just turned 10, and I want to get the kids into camping. Do I buy the $$$ North Face or the $ Wal-Mart, knowing that for the next couple years most of our camping will be in the backyard?

Personally, I buy the gear/clothes that I need for whatever "mission" or job, be it low-end or high(er)-end.

What does it matter how much a person weighs or their physical prowess? Does it matter what brand or price they paid for a piece of kit? They are in the class, standing next to you, because they want to learn (hopefully) how to run their kit and weapon platform in the correct and most efficient manner. So they cannot hit the broad side of a barn, so what? Is that your issue? It is their issue and the instructors issue to solve.

I do not mean to mean "you" specifically, just pointing out the mental fallacy many fall into of training and gear.

I know many here have seen the big guys who up to a class and burn sh!t down with crappy kit and smaller guys who up with expensive kit not being able to hit anything at all, and vice-verse.

The point is, we are all striving to see what works for us as individuals. If there was a specific item of kit/gear/weapon which works extremely well for everyone then everyone would have it.

Armati
04-08-12, 14:59
What is it about a TAD or Arcteryx jacket that make full grown men start accesorizing themselves and asking eachother where they are buying their clothes?

Indeed. I know lots of guys like this. We call them the Soldier of Fashion.

Now there is a good reason to wear Arcteryx, Patagonian, Mountain Hardwear, ect. If you are in the boonies, it is hard to beat quality alpine gear. Alpine gear is well suited to military operations because it is hard wearing, light, packable, dries quickly, is cut for athletic people doing active things. The a lot of the PCU gear used by USSOCOM is made by Patagonia and essentially the same as a lot of their commercial stuff.

However, your average Tackleberry will never do anything with their alpine gear that can't be done with a $25 fleece from Target. 5.11 gear is ghey like AIDS and shouldn't even be worn for it's intended purpose - much less as casual wear! Instead, check out the offerings by Dickies and the Duluth Training Company. They make clothes for guys in the trades and it should do everything you need it to do without looking like a Mall Ninja.

Yuppies have pretty much killed North Face. Not only has the quality slipped a lot, but you cannot wear North Face without looking like a yuppie douche.

I personally like stuff made for bouldering, rock climbing, and bicycle courier work. Try Kuhl or Prana. It is tough, loose fitting, and dries quickly. And given the choice between 5.11's and polo shirts, or looking like a bicycle courier, I will take the courier look. Besides, you can fit an MP5 in a courier bag.

buckshot1220
04-08-12, 18:30
I can see both sides as I understand the need for good gear. I've done a decent bit of cold weather hiking/camping/hunting and the wrong gear will show itself in short order. When I was young I didn't have the coin to drop on good hunting gear, so I used to layer on sweatshirts and some sort of "shell." 15 minutes in you're soaked in your own sweat and the minute you stop, frozen. Lesson learned.

There is a cutoff for me though. $150-200 on a jacket is the limits of reasonable for me. I'm not climbing Everest and last I checked I live indoors. For the few times a year I may use such gear, as long as I'm not freezing, I can struggle through the other shortcomings.

All that being said, some of the yuppie brands do put out decent products. Most of my winter jackets and thermal socks have been Columbia, and I have no complaints. Timberland is another story. My ex-gf used to work in corporate and she got crazy discounts there. This was back when I used to where work boots everyday and did hard labor, she finally convinced me to give up my RedWings and Wolverines for some $200+ pair of Timberlands...they lasted 2 months at work before the soles were gone. She blamed me/my feet for that, my only response was "My Wolverines and RedWings don't do that."

chuckman
04-08-12, 19:45
What does it matter how much a person weighs or their physical prowess?

It makes me laugh. Out loud. To me they scream 'mall ninja' or some nonsense. Does it make me right? No, but it is a bias I hold. I guess if it gives them warm fuzzies to pretend they are something special, then OK. Multicam, creased, does not make one a better shooter.

Voodoo_Man
04-08-12, 20:18
It makes me laugh. Out loud. To me they scream 'mall ninja' or some nonsense. Does it make me right? No, but it is a bias I hold. I guess if it gives them warm fuzzies to pretend they are something special, then OK. Multicam, creased, does not make one a better shooter.

Now this is funny.

If you think a persons weight or physical ability has any baring on their ability to kill you as efficiently, if not more so, than your own then a rude awakening is only half the surprise.

I have personally shot with a guy who is a "big" guy, massive by some standards, he is not only an excellent shot (high 190's in 200 drills) but he can, and probably will, take down anyone who is in his way hand to hand.

chuckman
04-08-12, 21:14
Now this is funny.

If you think a persons weight or physical ability has any baring on their ability to kill you as efficiently, if not more so, than your own then a rude awakening is only half the surprise.

I have personally shot with a guy who is a "big" guy, massive by some standards, he is not only an excellent shot (high 190's in 200 drills) but he can, and probably will, take down anyone who is in his way hand to hand.

You miss my point. It's a 'perception' issue, not necessarily a 'reality' issue. Before I had kids I drove a minivan. Why? I hauled a lot of shit and it was easy. What did people think? "Oh, look at the dude with all the kids in the grocery-getter."

If some fat dude outshoots me, fine. He ain't gonna outrun me, though, and on any course that requires an outlay of physical fitness, he's mine. I have proven that, too, overseas having to wear all of that crap when it's 120 degrees.

If you want the multicam and high-dollar plate carriers, "O-Pos" blood patches, have at it. At the end of the day I do not care. I can sleep OK with my bias. I stand by my point, though, that there are some preconceived ideas/myths/stereotypes in life when it comes to what one chooses to buy and wear/use, and in this 'field' it's no different. Once upon a time I worked for a PMC and had the cool khaki velco-front ballcap. I wore it then, I don't now. I understand what kind of images it might send, especially since I am a slightly-on-the-right-of-the-bell-curve shooter and not an awesome shooter.

Voodoo_Man
04-08-12, 21:22
You miss my point. It's a 'perception' issue, not necessarily a 'reality' issue. Before I had kids I drove a minivan. Why? I hauled a lot of shit and it was easy. What did people think? "Oh, look at the dude with all the kids in the grocery-getter."

If some fat dude outshoots me, fine. He ain't gonna outrun me, though, and on any course that requires an outlay of physical fitness, he's mine. I have proven that, too, overseas having to wear all of that crap when it's 120 degrees.

If you want the multicam and high-dollar plate carriers, "O-Pos" blood patches, have at it. At the end of the day I do not care. I can sleep OK with my bias. I stand by my point, though, that there are some preconceived ideas/myths/stereotypes in life when it comes to what one chooses to buy and wear/use, and in this 'field' it's no different. Once upon a time I worked for a PMC and had the cool khaki velco-front ballcap. I wore it then, I don't now. I understand what kind of images it might send, especially since I am a slightly-on-the-right-of-the-bell-curve shooter and not an awesome shooter.

So what a person wears reflects what type of person they are and the ability they portray to others to have?

C4IGrant
04-08-12, 21:31
I think we have to separate things into several different issues here.

1. Does the guy think that dressing EXACTLY like some instructor, Tier 1 guys, etc will magically make him a better shooter? If so, then he is an idiot and you can just write him off.

2. Does the guy wear HSLD clothes, camo or whatever in the hopes of making people think he is some Tier 1 shooter? If so, he is an idiot and just hit the delete button on him.

3. Does the guy like cool chit (gear, guns clothes), but doesn't pretend to be anything he isn't and is not a pompous AHOLE? If so, then just leave him alone to do what he likes.

C4

04-08-12, 21:37
Love my Arcteryx. I routinely hike in rough, mountainous terrain in all weather. I can also hike in a pair of longjohn bottoms covered with a pair of $10 Wally World shorts and a t-shirt; in the rain at 50F. One outfit is for comfort, one is for mental exercise. I do not give a **** what someone wears. I only care about how they perform.

As for the minivan example, I used to make fun of them until I saw a certified badass mother****er from TigerSwan drive up in one to teach a class.

Ironman8
04-08-12, 21:40
As for the minivan example, I used to make fun of them until I saw a certified badass mother****er from TigerSwan drive up in one to teach a class.

And then you went out and bought one right? :p

04-08-12, 21:46
In the immortal words of Eddie Murphy, "Hah, hah, very funny mother ****er!" :D

Ummmmmm, just looking right now.;)

skyugo
04-08-12, 22:58
Can this also refer to the civilian shooters who are head to toe in multicam?

leave nutnfancy out of this! he's a prince among men!

Redmanfms
04-09-12, 01:25
To me a far more relevant question would be why does anyone concern themselves with what other people spend their money on?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-09-12, 02:49
To me a far more relevant question would be why does anyone concern themselves with what other people spend their money on?

Ive never known of any human being that doesnt concern themselves with what others do. To pretend to be the only one in history not to do so would be silly.

Its human nature. Some of us find it absurd when people buy subpar products, so we discuss it. Some of us find is absurd when people do things we disagree with, so we discuss it. Some of us find it absurd when grown me dress themselves in the spitting image of their idol, so we discuss it. You find it absurd that I find this absurd, and so you discuss it.

rojocorsa
04-09-12, 03:08
I like how TAD and Arcteryx (which I just learned about from this thread) don't exactly look overly "tactical."

I think they look sleek and modern in of themselves. I'd pay for a softshell from either of these companies if I had the money, because why not get the best quality you can afford? I saw a Kyle Defoor review in which he was talking about how durable his Arcteryx was even after a lot of shooting prone over concrete. I was impressed.

Again, I'd buy one if I could. I'm sold on the quality and warmth. It doesn't hurt that they look aesthetically pleasing to me either.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-09-12, 04:17
I like how TAD and Arcteryx (which I just learned about from this thread) don't exactly look overly "tactical."

I think they look sleek and modern in of themselves. I'd pay for a softshell from either of these companies if I had the money, because why not get the best quality you can afford? I saw a Kyle Defoor review in which he was talking about how durable his Arcteryx was even after a lot of shooting prone over concrete. I was impressed.

Again, I'd buy one if I could. I'm sold on the quality and warmth. It doesn't hurt that they look aesthetically pleasing to me either.

I actually like the look of the TAD gear jackets but the price for them is astronomical for what you get in return. Arcteryx makes some of the best backpacking jackets out there. Light in weight, compressable, warm, and good for layering, and they are very good quality to boot. I actually own some arcteryx gear, I use my arcteryx hoodie in conjunction with a gore tex parka for 3 season backpacking. Ironman's recommendation of the Atom LT actually has me perusing Amazon for it, and I may very well pick one up.

I think this thread was taken as an insult to certain members, its not, its more poking fun. IF anyone has the ability, look at the FB page of Costa, and see what I am talking about here. I dont doubt the abilities of the gear, or even of the users, but I find it ridiculous when we knob slobber shooters who have put out training videos before.

Also, if you cant swing Arcteryx, check out the Patagonia line. I generally wear this over my Arc hoodie and it works VERY well:
http://www.amazon.com/Patagonia-Mens-Simple-Guide-Jacket/dp/B004L8VJ16/ref=sr_1_48?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1333952022&sr=1-48

Moose-Knuckle
04-09-12, 04:50

This is a good observation. Arc'teryx is a cutting edge extreme outdoor clothing company, they're not about poser mall ninja wannabe's.

skullworks
04-09-12, 06:46
Also, Arc'teryx LEAF program (http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN) (which is their dedicated LE/MIL line with other color schemes etc) was limited to active duty personnel only. Not even National Guard or firefighters/EMT:s were allowed to purchase these products. Any dealer who violated this limitation was supposed to get their rights to sell the LEAF products yanked.

However, I guess there was too much money in selling to "others" that they now have removed those restrictions.

orionz06
04-09-12, 07:21
You know, lots of people outside of internet gun forum posters wear Arc'Teryx. They don't just make tactical clothing, they make kick ass outdoor gear, much like these other companies do. Who cares what people buy. For every pair of Arc'teryx pants for $150 there is a kid wearing $250 jeans to school.

I am not saying this is the attitude the OP shares but we are on the edge of "you are not good enough for it" type arguments. This is common in other hobbies, especially music forums. I play guitar, casually, once a year. I want a nice amp. I am willing to spend $2500 on an amp that will look nice in a corner and I will never tap its potential. Some other musician will surely be pissed that I undeservedly purchased something he cannot afford. Oh well. Perhaps their time is better spent figuring out how to get there rather than getting upset over how others already are.

Army Chief
04-09-12, 08:21
Good discussion, and one probably worth having. Personally, I have no problem with guys wanting to ante up for quality if they have the means, and we've seen some great strides made in terms of fabrics and design. Where I tend to get off of the bus is when the choices made result in an overt tactical appearance as the daily norm, rather than something worn to training or the range. That's not an affront to those who have acquired a taste for such things, but I do think there is wisdom in keeping a low profile.

For a while there (and I was guilty of it, too), the Woolrich Elite/5.11 phase that we all seemed to go through served a purpose, but it got to the point where the sheepdogs became extremely easy to pick out of a crowd. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? Between that, the specialized hats and the proliferation of morale patches, the subculture has almost become a caricature of itself in some quarters. No harm in that, I suppose, but I'm left to wonder if that doesn't work against the community in some ways; especially since a lot of these same guys are likely to be CCW holders who stand to gain nothing from being noticed.

My approach has been to move toward less overt choices that still provide the desired capability and/or durability. Even when the order of the day is for something "tactical," I've come to favor things like Vertx pants or soft shells in colors that aren't necessarily drawn from the Multicam palette. The ascendance of so many high end "mountaineering" brands has certainly helped our cause in this respect, and I think that is one of the reasons we've seen a lot of trainers and industry types move in that direction. If/when you can justify the price, there is something to be said for a lower profile and higher quality; then again, Levis and Carthartts have been getting the job done since the 1870s/80s, too. It doesn't make a lot of difference to me either way, but as a matter of personal preference, I tend not to be a walking billboard for the industry, and make most of my choices with the idea of blending in, rather than looking like I'm auditioning for a walk-on part in some kind of action movie.

AC

orionz06
04-09-12, 08:25
The ascendance of so many high end "mountaineering" brands has certainly helped our cause in this respect, and I think that is one of the reasons we've seen a lot of trainers and industry types move in that direction.

On this note at least one of the grass eating hippies at the REI up the street from me has been spotted wearing the following just last Wednesday:

Kuhl Ryder pants
Salomon XA Pro 3d Ultra GTX
Arc'teryx fleece top
Oakley sunglasses

This guy hates guns, hates capitalism, and hates people who eat meat. He is everything wrong in this world and he looks like the average guy from this forum.

C4IGrant
04-09-12, 08:36
On this note at least one of the grass eating hippies at the REI up the street from me has been spotted wearing the following just last Wednesday:

Kuhl Ryder pants
Arc'teryx fleece top
Oakley sunglasses

This guy hates guns, hates capitalism, and hates people who eat meat. He is everything wrong in this world and he looks like the average guy from this forum.

Uhm, are you sure you didn't just see me??? :blink:

C4

Voodoo_Man
04-09-12, 08:43

Kuhl Ryder pants
Arc'teryx fleece top
Oakley sunglasses

Funny enough I see bicycle guys wearing kuhl's and arc'teryx all the time. Hell the other day I watched a tattooed hipster, black rimmed glasses and merrill sneaks, tight pants with paracord bracelets on a one speed short cut handlebared bike wearing an opscore in their "look at me" red. It confused and humored me.

orionz06
04-09-12, 08:44
Exactly. If I were to walk down to the bike shop 10 blocks away we could replace the Oakleys with Rudy Project glasses and the Arc'teryx top with something made by Patagonia.

We aren't that special.

most of us anyway.

Smuckatelli
04-09-12, 11:46
make most of my choices with the idea of blending in,

That is pretty much how I am too....for some strange reason, when I go to the range, I don't blend in....no to many wearing blue jeans, old sweatshirt and old boots....most have the high end clothing and spend a lot of time on the bench.

With that being said, not enough can be said about no kidding quality gear. An example that stands out for me was during Team Spirit 89. A few of us had purchased Danner boots for roughly $125.00. Most of the platoon stuck with the issue combat boots. New soft leather with some strange looking treads.

We were inserted on D minus 2 so that we could plant a couple sensor strigs, set up an Xray for those strings and be in our AO by D Day. The transferred all of the recon teams from the ships to an airstrip in Pohang. Our initial insert bird got scrubbed so I was stuck trying to hitch a ride with someone. Eventually we were able to convince a 53 pilot from Texas to drop us off....after we listened to his jokes.

I switched the task order when the pilot informed me that he could only drop us on top of hill 762 and no where else. After we were inserted we set up the Xray (reverse order, normally we set up sensors and then the retrans site). As soon as we started patrolling down the hill, two of the Marines with the new 'combat boot' lost thier heels. We ended up having to duck tape the heels back on because they couldn't patrol with all gear and no heel.....Once we made it to our AO and established a patrol base, it wasn't too bad but before that time it really degraded the team having bad boots.

munch520
04-09-12, 13:01
Not sure if it's a trend, but some of these $250-500 jackets really are better. I have a couple old North Faces and a Carhartt...and they're great jackets. I also bought a used TAD Ranger on eBay for $205 and it's light years better in design, fit, wind proofing, etc. It functions better so I'll pay more for it. On the other end of the spectrum, I often wear wrangler jeans (~$14). They do what I want em to, and thats all I need.

As an aside, I work hard for my money, as I'm sure all of us do. So I'll do whatever I damned well please with it. If I get my mind set on hydro dipping my nuts in multicam so my scrot blends into the shrubbery, then I'll do it. Period. Far as I'm concerned, I'll establish opinions on folks based on actions, not attire.

I'll try not to judge at all or least of all til I've tried the item in question. . and I'm guilty of being a gear whore sometimes, so as they say "he who is without sin cast the first stone".

I tend to get off of the bus is when the choices made result in an overt tactical appearance as the daily norm, rather than something worn to training or the range. That's not an affront to those who have acquired a taste for such things, but I do think there is wisdom in keeping a low profile.

Wise words!

dookie1481
04-09-12, 13:19
My question is, do people wear this stuff on a daily basis? A jacket I can understand, but do people really wear 5.11s and crap like that when they go grocery shopping? I live in a large city that is pretty gun-friendly, and I can't recall seeing 10 people dressed like "Tactical Ted" (outside of gun stores/ranges).

C4IGrant
04-09-12, 13:22
My question is, do people wear this stuff on a daily basis? A jacket I can understand, but do people really wear 5.11s and crap like that when they go grocery shopping? I live in a large city that is pretty gun-friendly, and I can't recall seeing 10 people dressed like "Tactical Ted" (outside of gun stores/ranges).

I wear some form of "Tactical" pant every day. ;)

C4

Voodoo_Man
04-09-12, 13:32

Depends on what job you do...some of our "on duty" paperwork guys and detectives would wear tactical stuff.

theblackknight
04-09-12, 14:08
http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/chris-tfb.jpg

rob_s
04-09-12, 14:13

They stand out like a mother****er in Boca, and frankly in most of SE Florida. But probably only to me. Where I look and think "tactical ted" the general public just looks and sees "fat dork".

theblackknight
04-09-12, 14:27
I saw a dude in tac pants, wilderness belt and polo at the wilm airport. I gave him the benefit of the doubt bc we have a good amount of contractors who live here, but then I saw here was just dropping someone off,and NOT a plain clothes LEO.

Tac Ted strikes again!

ST911
04-09-12, 15:29
I buy the quality I need for the widget I need. I like higher end stuff because I only have to spend that dollar once, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense in the budget or in the cost:benefit analysis.

I avoid looking tactical. I do like durable clothes that allow me to carry the gear I want how I want to. As AC and others note, the proliferation of better outdoor clothing makers and more fashionable workwear helps a lot.

I can spot a pair of 5.11 style pants and related paraphernalia a mile away, and I used to make a game of it in large crowds and airport layovers. Others can too, and sometimes being discreet even among the potentially like-minded is useful.

C4IGrant
04-09-12, 15:57
They stand out like a mother****er in Boca, and frankly in most of SE Florida. But probably only to me. Where I look and think "tactical ted" the general public just looks and sees "fat dork".

I did a "how to ID a gun" class for a local security team. I showed them all the popular brands of pants, shirts, vests, shoes, pens, knives, hats, watches, glasses, IR flags, etc.

The majority of these people are CCW holders and train/shoot a lot. 95% of them had never heard of the brands mentioned and could NOT spot them before the meeting.

Point being is that VERY FEW of us can ID "Gun Clothes and Gear" and most people (even gun owners) don't know it when they see it.

C4

Belmont31R
04-09-12, 15:58
I just want to know why some people are so preoccupied with what other males are wearing.

rojocorsa
04-09-12, 16:11
Here is the comic relief for this thread:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315591_2086698040541_1037850079_2600306_35034_n.jpg

04-09-12, 17:44
I think I had a class with that bastard. Slowed us all down.

Just saw the gravy patch. ****in' funny!

munch520
04-09-12, 18:22
I just want to know why some people are so preoccupied with what other males are wearing.

Bingo

jklaughrey
04-09-12, 18:31
there!

JSGlock34
04-09-12, 18:50
We aren't that special.

Exactly. This thread definitely reminds me of this spoof (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com) on enthusiast discussion forums.

Kokopelli
04-09-12, 20:05
Comfort needs to factor in the discussion somewhere. I wore Levis 501's and western boots from the age of 4 until my early 50's. About that time I discovered loose fit cotton canvas tactical pants (aka.. 5.11). About the same time my feet decided to give me problems and I discovered the Converse duty boots. Coincidentally my button downs didn't look right anymore and I discovered the "loser/Miami/Sonaran shirts". You can imagine how my Stetsons blended with my new attire, but I got the free 5.11 caps, so I was set.. Comfortable, versatile, easy to care for, I can dress this way at work, home, even church.. What's not to like.. I no longer have any other style of clothing.. LOL.. Cheers.. Ron

PS: An additional benefit is that nobody pays any attention to me. I'm just the old redneck...

Voodoo_Man
04-10-12, 06:30
Watched a homeless/drifter type of dude last night walking across the street, combat beard, multicam pams and 5day bag. Velcro cap, some sort of soft shell with velcro sides wearing danners.

Only reason I know he was homeless was because of the company he was with.

RogerinTPA
04-10-12, 08:01
I am all about durable quality clothing but I only wear it when the job or what ever I'm doing for fun demands it. Over here in AFG (or at a shooting course), it's Vertex pants and canvas shirts from Cabela's, year around. Merrill hiking shoes or desert boots in the summer, Asolo's, Patagonia soft shell and fleeces in the winter. They are very well made and very durable. I do have a North Face Gortex ski parka, that I used to ski in, that I wore over here, but stopped due to an actual outdoor store here that has N.F. clothing out the ass, but it is 18 years old and has held up very well over the years. Funny how some have mentioned wearing outdoor type clothing for daily wear. I have been to a few SOCOM specific conventions in Tampa area over the years, and during both formal and informal gatherings, almost to the man (civilian and off duty military), everyone wore the tactical, 5.11/out door type pants & shirts. I felt out of place wearing docker khakis or jeans, and a dress shirt with a black sport coat. It was the first thing i spotted walking through the door and thought "Really?"

CarlosDJackal
04-10-12, 09:46
"It's the Indian, not the bow!" That being said, a good shooter with good equipment will beat a good shooter with crappy equipment just about every time.

I have a $300 jacket that I purchased about 5 or 6 years ago. Not only have I worn this jacket in the rain and the cold (with the liner in it), I have also brought it with me to every tactical training course since then. It has managed to keep me very dry no matter how much rain fell. I wish the equipment the USAR issued me worked half as well.

I also paid more than $60 for my shooting gloves (Wilex X CAG-1). I use these gloves at least once a week when shooting outdoors and have used it numerous times when qualifying with the M-16A2s and M-9s. I am on my second pair and even if I had to buy one every year (which I do not) it will be worth it because it fits my hands like a glove (pun intended).

Most of the time this seems to always happen during a rainstorm or when there is snow on the ground. I have also used it during FTXs. I could have just stuck with the Mechanix $14 gloves from Lowe's but would they have worked OR lasted as well?

If you purchase an expensive piece of equipment, it's actual worth is not based on how much you paid for it but its eventual utility. A $2,500 1911 that malfunctions every 10th round is not worth as much as a $2,500 1911 that functions flawlessly. Likewise, a $5,000 HK 416 that is unreliable (I have personally know of at least two samples of these) is not nearly worth as much as a $1,200 Colt 6920 that works every time. JM2CW.

Irish
04-10-12, 09:56
A lot of it has to do with location as well. Go to Portland, Seattle and Canada and you'll see the dead bird everywhere, and on plenty of dirty hippies. I wear an Arc'teryx jacket a lot due to traveling in those areas about once a month and it flat kicks ass in the rain. My wife thinks it's a pretty color green.

Belmont31R
04-12-12, 01:26
A lot of it has to do with location as well. Go to Portland, Seattle and Canada and you'll see the dead bird everywhere, and on plenty of dirty hippies. I wear an Arc'teryx jacket a lot due to traveling in those areas about once a month and it flat kicks ass in the rain. My wife thinks it's a pretty color green.

Ive been wearing these brands for over a decade and now I guess Im a "gear queer" because I still do.

The tent my best friend and I used on a month and a half long tent camping trip through Europe the day after we graduated HS was a NF ultralite two man...but if I wear NF pants now Im a gucci snob costa wannabe to some. Never mind Ive been using and wearing their gear for a decade before "Art of" ever hit the shelves. The same with smartwool socks. Ive been buying them since I was 15 or 16 but oh well.

I really don't care what other dudes wear. Im married to a hot chick and I told her before our first date I was into guns and if she didn't like it we shouldn't even bother dating. We now have two kids and get along great. She has her own NF jacket and is always stealing my Arcyteryx fleeces and smartwool long johns. In the winter she steals my smartwool socks and walks around the house in them.

If I saw a "tactical ted" Id be like "cool". I do have 5.11 pants and don't like the cut on me. I wear 34x34 pants and they make me look like I took a shit in my pants. But they are functional and I love the front pockets. The little pocket on the front right is perfect for a Iphone 4. Easy to reach and get out. If some fag wants to critique me on my attire go ahead. Ill be the one one getting laid that night or getting head or getting my cheeks wet.

Javelin
04-12-12, 02:14
I don't go in anything special... Probably just my Ralph Lauren jacket (if it is cold enough), a short sleeve polo & a pair of jeans. Hell I don't even have Oakley's I only wear RayBans.

I'm not cool guy at the range I guess :sad:

Moose-Knuckle
04-12-12, 02:47
If some fag wants to critique me on my attire go ahead. Ill be the one one getting laid that night or getting head or getting my cheeks wet.

Poetry, pure poetry. . .that is some serious sig line material right there. :cool:

MistWolf
04-12-12, 06:16
Phtfthphtht! The low profile tactical fedora in FDE is the way to go
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Para%20Mods/DSC_0077.jpg

The_War_Wagon
04-12-12, 06:27

Uhhh... who the hell wears a "hoodie" after age 13?!?! I just bought a CompTac Minotaur MTAC holster for my 1911, and one of their custom belts to go along with it. I also bought three new suits at Jos. A. Bank to match them, because that's how I roll in my line of work.

NOTHING says "hoodlum" like, "hoodie," no matter who's wearing it - I wouldn't wear one if you GAVE it to me for free. :rolleyes:

rob_s
04-12-12, 06:38

and 11 posts later...

Ive been wearing these brands for over a decade and now I guess Im a "gear queer" because I still do.

The tent my best friend and I used on a month and a half long tent camping trip through Europe the day after we graduated HS was a NF ultralite two man...but if I wear NF pants now Im a gucci snob costa wannabe to some. Never mind Ive been using and wearing their gear for a decade before "Art of" ever hit the shelves. The same with smartwool socks. Ive been buying them since I was 15 or 16 but oh well.

I really don't care what other dudes wear. Im married to a hot chick and I told her before our first date I was into guns and if she didn't like it we shouldn't even bother dating. We now have two kids and get along great. She has her own NF jacket and is always stealing my Arcyteryx fleeces and smartwool long johns. In the winter she steals my smartwool socks and walks around the house in them.

If I saw a "tactical ted" Id be like "cool". I do have 5.11 pants and don't like the cut on me. I wear 34x34 pants and they make me look like I took a shit in my pants. But they are functional and I love the front pockets. The little pocket on the front right is perfect for a Iphone 4. Easy to reach and get out. If some fag wants to critique me on my attire go ahead. Ill be the one one getting laid that night or getting head or getting my cheeks wet.

One might ask why some people are so preoccupied with defending what they are wearing to other males with juvenile bravado about getting laid.

orionz06
04-12-12, 07:44
Uhhh... who the hell wears a "hoodie" after age 13?!?! I just bought a CompTac Minotaur MTAC holster for my 1911, and one of their custom belts to go along with it. I also bought three new suits at Jos. A. Bank to match them, because that's how I roll in my line of work.

NOTHING says "hoodlum" like, "hoodie," no matter who's wearing it - I wouldn't wear one if you GAVE it to me for free. :rolleyes:

Pretty much everyone but you I would imagine. Hell, go anywhere in the fall and you will see hoodies, just the way it is. Even my dad, just turned 56, wears hoodies almost all the time. Comfort is king.

The_War_Wagon
04-12-12, 08:07
Pretty much everyone but you I would imagine. Hell, go anywhere in the fall and you will see hoodies, just the way it is. Even my dad, just turned 56, wears hoodies almost all the time. Comfort is king.

Your dad's a HOODLUM?!?! :eek: :p

Hmmm... I must investigate the phenomenon further, it appears...

orionz06
04-12-12, 08:09
Your dad's a HOODLUM?!?! :eek: :p

Hmmm... I must investigate the phenomenon further, it appears...

Here is the why...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448778764&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302293285&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302293285&locale=en_US&bmUID=1334236087929&bmLocale=en_US

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777719&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302293285&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302293285&locale=en_US&bmUID=1334236089992&bmLocale=en_US

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448776720&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302293285&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302293285&locale=en_US&bmUID=1334236091883&bmLocale=en_US

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773806&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302293285&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302293285&locale=en_US&bmUID=1334236110054&bmLocale=en_US

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773043&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302293285&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302293285&locale=en_US&bmUID=1334236110226&bmLocale=en_US

C4IGrant
04-12-12, 08:25

LOL, ya know, I asked the same question. We were talking about about doing some G&R Tactical shirts and most everyone requested that we do a hoodie! I was like really??? Grown men wear these??? :D

I must admit, that I do have a hoodie (Ranger Hoodie), but it was a gift so that saves me. ;)

C4

orionz06
04-12-12, 08:26
So does this mean no G&R vest?

C4IGrant
04-12-12, 08:35
So does this mean no G&R vest?

:nono:

C4

chuckman
04-12-12, 08:53
I have two hoodies, and I wear them both: the one the Navy gave me at boot for PT, and one with the logo of the department in which I work embroidered on the front. I wear one for work and the other for PT when it is really cold out.

Belmont31R
04-12-12, 10:08
and 11 posts later...

One might ask why some people are so preoccupied with defending what they are wearing to other males with juvenile bravado about getting laid.

Of course you would chime in. I don't really care what you have to say, and the board was better off when you took a self imposed break. :cool:

munch520
04-12-12, 10:18

My wife steals my ranger hoodie and wigwam socks weekly. :mad: Drives me nuts! She'll be getting a TAD ladies hoodie for a present at some point.

If some fag wants to critique me on my attire go ahead. Ill be the one one getting laid that night or getting head or getting my cheeks wet.:big_boss: well said

ETA: my wife's hot too :)

JSantoro
04-12-12, 11:38
Next, somebody will belt out some assertion as to how they're more masculine solely on the basis of how much they can binge-drink, or some other notion as equally as preposterous as the idea that getting laid equals the ability to make sensible clothing decisions.

Without wanting to insult anyone, that concept completely discounts, for example, the potential for simple lack of good judgement on the part of the 2nd half of the "takes two to tango" equation....point being, anyone can make an argument when they grossly oversimplify things....., so howsabout we table the idea that getting one's beef-dart seen to as a positive indicator of anything...?

How many of us are once again mistaking the THING with the decision-making processes of the individual buying/wearing the THING....?

theblackknight
04-12-12, 14:02
Really? Hoodies=Hoodlum? That's a hell of a jump, what do you guys do for leg day?

Thread is balls .Shut it down J

Moose-Knuckle
04-12-12, 15:33
I had a buddy take delivery of a DDM4, the FFL sent him one of the store's t-shirts with the rifle. . .

On it is a SWAT team member with the caption, "Dude, does this t-shirt make my ass look tactical?"

:lol:

04-12-12, 19:17
I have a mind to run a class in tactical pantyhose to make a point. Yes, my ass would look great(to my wife).

Belmont31R
04-13-12, 01:26
Next, somebody will belt out some assertion as to how they're more masculine solely on the basis of how much they can binge-drink, or some other notion as equally as preposterous as the idea that getting laid equals the ability to make sensible clothing decisions.

Without wanting to insult anyone, that concept completely discounts, for example, the potential for simple lack of good judgement on the part of the 2nd half of the "takes two to tango" equation....point being, anyone can make an argument when they grossly oversimplify things....., so howsabout we table the idea that getting one's beef-dart seen to as a positive indicator of anything...?

How many of us are once again mistaking the THING with the decision-making processes of the individual buying/wearing the THING....?

My post was just to throw a "dart" at the people who sneak around public places like ROB S does and who who have to come up with cutsie labels for other males apperances. The guy has nothing positive to say, ever, and spends his free time putting down others. I am happy to say Ive already had conversations with other people and even the mods I have talked to said they want to ban him. Im a human being and post stupid shit from time to time. Most people won't get my humor, and thats ok. ROB S on the other hand could not be a more dull or negative human being.

I would be happy with an unwritten rule he cannot respond to my posts and I wont respond to his. I could care less about the sour puss that is ROB S and I also don't really care if people can't take a light hearted post said in jest and have to be anal retentive about everything.

Do what you want with what I said but realize Im a good dude who would give the shirt of my back to people and am pretty candid about things. I have a 'south park"/adult sense of humor and people should not take things so personally/seriously. With all the ****ed up things in the world, politics, and having to put food on the table I go online to have a relief not to deal with negative nancies like ROB S. I spent the afternoon smoking a cigar and getting my kids outdoors riding their bikes & playing with the neighbors kids.

Belmont31R
04-13-12, 01:40
You never said how the stock I sent you, ROB S, did for you.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62459&highlight=stock

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-13-12, 14:17
Holy bitch tits. This thread went from semi gay to full on rainbows with every grown man getting so butt hurt that they are in tears. Its almost funny, almost. Please, close this thing.

skullworks
04-13-12, 16:42
For those of you who have Facebook: Would you guys be interested in Arc'Teryx gear embroidered with the Costa Ludus Logo? (https://www.facebook.com/questions/385808128117765/?qa_ref=qd)

:jester:

orionz06
04-13-12, 16:45
For those of you who have Facebook: Would you guys be interested in Arc'Teryx gear embroidered with the Costa Ludus Logo? (https://www.facebook.com/questions/385808128117765/?qa_ref=qd)

:jester:

Mother of god

The_War_Wagon
04-13-12, 17:14
Really? Hoodies=Hoodlum? That's a hell of a jump, what do you guys do for leg day?

"A crusader against Militant Tolerism."

I don't tolerate hoodies. :D