View Full Version : Failure to eject question

Bal4eva
04-07-12, 13:14
I am new to reloading and I just fire my first 50 reloads. Went well for the most part but I did have 2 failure to eject resulting in a double feed. Easily cleared by removing magazine and extra round then racking the charging handle. I was using once fired (from my gun) hornady brass. Rifle is a BCM and I have never had any malfunctions before.

Hornady 68gr BTHP
24.7gr Varget
#41 cci primers

I had to scrap the 2 rounds that got jammed up behind them but the rest fired great. Any thoughts as to what the cause was or how to prevent this in the future?

SteadyUp
04-07-12, 16:39
Just to clarify, the round was extracted from the chamber, but not ejected? Or was the round not extracted at all? Just a little confused by your description.

Also, does your extractor have an O-ring behind it? Approximately how many rounds shot through the gun total (before the reloads)?

Bal4eva
04-07-12, 16:43
It is a bcm bolt the way they come ( I have not added anything). And the brass was still in the chamber. Sorry for the confusion.

Bal4eva
04-07-12, 17:12
I also just noticed some excessive wear on the upper from the cam pin on the bolt. I wonder if that was caused by the extraction problem or something else. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

polymorpheous
04-07-12, 17:21
I also just noticed some excessive wear on the upper from the cam pin on the bolt. I wonder if that was caused by the extraction problem or something else. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Wear inside the upper from the cam pin is normal.
This is one of the first place you will see wear.

shootist~
04-07-12, 17:43
Could be just a fluke or since they were your first reloads, possibly something else. The load looks fine, but you should always check brass from a new load for over and under pressure signs. Unless the rim was ripped off from an extraction failure or some other unusual appearance is present, I would not worry about it unless it's repeated in the next batch.

Also, It's always a good idea to set up you sizer die using a case gauge (aka chamber check gauge) to be sure you are full length sizing the correct amount.

Bal4eva
04-07-12, 23:53
So this looks normal?

As for the resizing I was told that if you had shot the brass from your gun only then resizing the full length wasn't necessary. could this have been the reason for the failures? The rims of the cases in question were a little chewed up afterward but I inspected them all before I reloaded and didn't notice anything.

lunchbox
04-08-12, 00:36
So this looks normal?

As for the resizing I was told that if you had shot the brass from your gun only then resizing the full length wasn't necessary. could this have been the reason for the failures? The rims of the cases in question were a little chewed up afterward but I inspected them all before I reloaded and didn't notice anything.

If it's in a semi then cases need to be full length resized, people usually don't FL resize for bolt guns. With full resizing you are bumping the shoulder back ( datum point) so that the round will be sure to chamber on the next loading, since every time you fire a cartridge it expands to fill the chamber (why bolt guys don't FL resize) so.... To assure proper form and function and smooth chambering cases are returned to SAAMI spec (FL resize) at least thats what the books say.
BTW that not what your prob. is because if FL was to blame cases prob wouldn't chamber (unless you have very generous chamber)
if not mistaken I am a rookie reloader...

5pins
04-08-12, 07:33
You need to full length size your cases. After sizing a case then check it with a case gauge or by dropping it in your chamber and making sure it drops in and falls out freely. If it doesn’t then ajust your die down until it will.

shootist~
04-08-12, 10:07
Neck sizing for an AR is not a good plan.

SteadyUp
04-08-12, 10:44
So this looks normal?

The wear from the cam pin is normal. My uppers show the same wear (nothing to worry about).

And you should be full length sizing for an AR.

Clint
04-08-12, 21:42
As for the resizing I was told that if you had shot the brass from your gun only then resizing the full length wasn't necessary. could this have been the reason for the failures?

Neck sizing in your gun is fine if your gun is a bolt or lever action.

Auto loaders need full length resize for reliability.

ucrt
04-08-12, 22:06

From what I remember, for a semi-auto, your brass should be full length resized with a small base (SB) die for better feed/extraction reliability.

Sticks
04-15-12, 05:45
Did you trim the cases to length after sizing?

goon
04-17-12, 11:27
I agree on both the full-length sizing and on trimming the brass. Usually you can get a loading or two with once fired brass before needing to trim it, but you will have to trim it eventually or you'll have failures to chamber or difficulty chambering in a manually operated gun.
FL sizing with the normal die has always worked fine for me with semi-autos but some will require small base dies. Try FL sizing and let us know how that works, but I think that will solve your problem this time.
The only rifle cartridge I have ever neck-sized for was .303 British... and it worked great! Such an easy round to reload... too bad the brass doesn't last very long because of the generous dimensions of Enfield chambers.