PDA

View Full Version : My New AR (Range Report 8/25)

Harv
08-25-06, 20:21
OK Kids.. Just got back from the range andI gotta say... Glad I bought what I bought.

Hit the range this morning at 0900 hrs and had the place to my self all morning!!
First order of Business.
Zeroing the carbine.

I wiped it down last night and cleaned the bore and dried it. Lubed up and proceeded to Zero My Iron Sights first. Ammo was some 55gr Guatemalan Surplus I got from AIM. I started out at 25yds and my Zero changed very little from my Old Carbine. a couple of clicks of left Wind and She was good to go. On my Old carbine I did not have the F marked FSB so I had to bring the front sight post up a bit. I did buy the taller one from Bushy back then, but did not need it at the time.

The BCM Upper comes with the correct F marked FSB and the front sight post did not need to be adjusted at all. I run an ARMS 40. Works good. Once I got my windage zero'd I mark my windage drum with a small stripe of red paint form a Testors Paint Pen. (Little trick I learned in my Highpower days)

Now on to the Aimpoint. I started out at 25 yds to get on paper and after a few 3 rd shot groups I got it to lay correctly with the SOPMOD zero tgt I was using.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1132.jpg

Zeroing went pretty quick. I then moved to 50Yds to put my final zero on everything (I'm a 50 yds Zero kinda Guy).

Several observations I noticed on my new rifle

- Trigger was very nice. LMT has a good clean break and the reset is nice and crisp.

-SOPMOD stock is pretty sweet. I have replaced my VLTOR with it as my new stock. I like the cheek weld and the solid feel, plus I can carry 3 hrs worth of weapon's light batteries in it vs the 2 hrs on the Vltor.

- Maybe it's just me, but switching from a 16" HBAR to a 14.5" Gov profile.. I feel the gun has a little more recoil to it. and running the H buffer in it does nothing as far as I'm concerned. It may be noticeable to everybody else, but I did not notice a dam thing.

I like the lighter feel to it and she did warm up enough to get some smoke off the barrel after a few mags were run thru it., but it did cool off pretty quick.

-The Vickers 2 pt sling pretty much still rocks. I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna put the rear sling back on the buffer tube. Since switching to a different lower and the SOPMOD stock, I have the rear of the sling running thru the slot in the rear of the stock. I do not like it there and need to get either my old Daniel Defense sling plate on this new lower or get a new one. LMT stakes there Castle nut on the buffer tube ..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1131.jpg

So I may need to buy a wrench. I saw KAC makes a pretty sweet reciever end plate that replaces the stock end plate and incorporates two holes for QD swivels (One on each side) but the damn thing is $75!!!!

I heard a rumor that Daniel Defense may be making a similar End plate so I may have to just wait and see what comes out.

Overall the quality of the BCM is top notch. it is as Mil Spec as you will find with all the features and after about 250 rds, not a hiccup. Same goes with the LMT Lower. The quality and finish is excellent. The stock trigger is very good and will only get better with use. I am very happy with my choices and this carbine will serve me well.

Other new toys I tried out were my High ride 6004 Holster.... All I can say is WOW.... I should have gotten one of these holster's along time ago. Very nice. I spend the first 50 rds doing single shot Draw and fire presentations to get use to the release lever/Hood. I also practiced on my presentation.

Tim Lau who was teaching a Carbine class with Pat Rogers that I attended this past June, gave me some great pointers on my draw and presentation, which sucked. I have what you might call a "Bowling ball" style of presentation. he showed me a much better way that brings the weapon up to eye-level and then after you secure a good 2 handed grip,punch it straight out and acquire the tgt.

This makes for a very smooth presentation and allowed me to really make some nice hits at 7 yds with great speed. I will continue to practice that presentation down in my basement (where all my excitement comes from..).

I also pulled out my trusty shotgun.. This is something I don't do to often, but I decided to modify an old wooden stock and replace the Speedfeed stock that was on it. Pretty much all Shotgun stocks are to long. So I sawed off about 2.4" and ground down the recoil pad to fit. and then added some truck bed liner compound for texture. Now the LOP is the same as my AR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1123.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1124.jpg

Overall it was a good day and everything worked exactly as I expected it to....

Now what to do with my old Bushmaster lower and upper.......

Boom
08-25-06, 21:13
Sounds like you had a good time. Nice touch on the 870 stock I really like short shotgun stocks.

As to your Bushy lower and upper you need to get a new barrel and build a new rifle. :D

DrMark
08-26-06, 08:45
Good report! Thanks for posting it.

Is that SOPMOD stock Kyrlon'd OD?

Submariner
08-26-06, 09:15
I saw KAC makes a pretty sweet reciever end plate that replaces the stock end plate and incorporates two holes for QD swivels (One on each side) but the damn thing is $75!!!!

And that's when you can find them! The one I have I picked up for $60 several years ago. You might want to consider that it allows the swivel to rotate freely. IIRC you said that was an issue when you secured the aft end of the Vickers sling to your VLTOR swivel. Also, you might try to buy it without the swivel 'cause the swivel that came with my VLTOR works with it, too. Save a buck where you can!

Would you please describe what you changed in your pistol presentation, either here or, perhaps, in another thread?

ETA: Nice "hard" mount, Harv!:D

shooter521
08-29-06, 13:38
Nice sticks, brother. :D

It's almost a shame to see the "classic" Bushmaster shorty get retired, but I'm sure your M4 will serve you as well or better. I say sell the upper and build something else cool on the lower. ;) I have put your VLTOR stock away for a future project; thanks again for that deal.

Which pistol did you get the 6004 for, the Kimber or the G-lock?

M193 BALL
08-29-06, 15:41
I Bought a LMT DEFENDER 2000 M4 14.5 has the SOPMOD 2 stage trigger
The M4 shoots great ragged holes at 50 yards

When I put the ARMS 40 L same plane it didnt need any corrections.

I took of my ML2 off my BUSHMASTER SHORTY A1 and put it on my Defender 2000
useing a Larue cantilever
it just needed 2 clicks down for a perfect 50yard zero

I havent retierd my OLD HEAVY BUSHMASTER SHORTY

I replaced the A1 upper with a LMT M4 14.5 upper and a Eotech 551

BTW I also bought from LMT there single point sling adapter
Wich I found out is a TANGO DOWN? Anyway it works great and is cheap
I like the middle posittion attacment Best

Try out the Blue Box BLACK HILLS 77gr in your LMT
Even the HOT Mk262 shoots pretty tight groups
I also like the Black Hills 75gr and makes good protection ammo like the 75TAP

M193 BALL
08-29-06, 15:49
You are right I cant tell the difference from regular buffer and the H buffer,H2

But did put a NEW RRA 9mm buffer in my DEFENDER and it works great!

Harv
08-29-06, 16:53
Nice sticks, brother.

It's almost a shame to see the "classic" Bushmaster shorty get retired, but I'm sure your M4 will serve you as well or better. I say sell the upper and build something else cool on the lower. I have put your VLTOR stock away for a future project; thanks again for that deal.

Which pistol did you get the 6004 for, the Kimber or the G-lock?

I know... it kinda makes me sad. That carbine has been good to me... anyone wanna buy a 16" HBAR barrel with 14K thru it??;)

I'm gonna build something but I'm not sure what yet.. I'm thinking an 18" barreled SPR with a nice laRue Rail etc....

I picked up the 6004 for the G17.. I've been running that pistol more and more and may (Gasp) sell the Kimber and go with a single stack. My strategy is to wait until a new wonder pistol hits the market and everyone forgets the Warrior and it comes down in price to where it should be ($700-800) vs where it is around here ($1000.)