PDA

View Full Version : 1903 rear sight advice

PE556
04-07-12, 17:35
I need some advice on an aftermarket rear sight for my 1903.

I purchased a Remington 1903 (not 03A3), that was target-ized by the previous owner, with the intent to make it into a general purpose shooter. The barrel is basically shot out, so I intend to rebarrel it to 308, but that’s another story.

The receiver bridge was drilled and tapped for a Lyman rear target sight. I want something more rugged, something simple, somewhat adjustable, but definitely a rear peep sight.

I’ve briefly looked at a few sights, but would like to hear from others. The problem is that the receiver already has two holes in it.

one option http://www.skinnersights.com/

dfclin073
05-02-12, 18:14
My grandfather passed down to me a M1903 with a Redfield #102 receiver sight. He had hunted with it for 20-30 years.

rdc0000
07-13-12, 09:59
Lyman 57SMET IS rugged. link (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/57-receiver-peep.php)

okie john
07-13-12, 17:27
The receiver bridge was drilled and tapped for a Lyman rear target sight. I want something more rugged, something simple, somewhat adjustable, but definitely a rear peep sight.

Older Lyman or Redfield gallows-type rear sights are an incredible value. The steel in them is absolutely first-rate, and it will be hard to find anything more rugged with the same range of adjustability. They have fared much better in my inadvertent drop tests than peep sights from XS Sight Systems.

The Lyman 48 had knobs that let you adjust windage and elevation with your fingers. I think that the Lyman 57 SME (Springfield, Mauser, Enfield) is the same sight with screwdriver adjustments. Either would be an excellent choice, as would the Redfield equivalent. An old gunsmith or one of the better pawnshops in your area may have something like that lying around. The 48's, especially the long-range models, bring a premium from people restoring vintage sporters, but you should be able to find a used 57SME in decent shape for under $100.

Okie John