PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Mount Recommendation

deolexrex
04-07-12, 20:37
I installed the Magpul MOE Scout Light Mount on my Magpul fore-arm and I am thinking about a Surefire G2.

Any recommendations on a flashlight mount? Or even on a different light? I'm on a tight budget, so...

Pappabear
04-07-12, 20:41
Vltor offset is nice. Very versatile.

2theXtreme
04-07-12, 20:49
Check out Impact Weapons Components. They have great light mount options.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

indawire
04-08-12, 09:40
I have a VTAC on one upper and an IWC on another. Like them both, both lightweight and stay secure (blue locktite). Got them both used you just have to wait for them to come around. Plenty out there.

Beat Trash
04-08-12, 09:56
I use the Impact Weapon Components light mount to mount a G2x on an MOE fore end for my Patrol Rifle. The setup is rock solid. It's gotten banged into a doorway or two unintentionally, and not the worse for wear.

I used to use a MI FSB rail and a VTAC light mount. While this setup works, it positioned the light too high for me. I much prefer the placement of the IWC/MOE setup.

truth
04-08-12, 10:00
Gear Sector (http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/flashlight-mounts/)

FN in MT
04-08-12, 10:49
Another vote for the VLTOR offset. Does the job and it's not only well made but cheap.

FN in MT

NoveskeFan
04-08-12, 10:52
I use the Impact Weapon Components light mount to mount a G2x on an MOE fore end for my Patrol Rifle. The setup is rock solid. It's gotten banged into a doorway or two unintentionally, and not the worse for wear.

I used to use a MI FSB rail and a VTAC light mount. While this setup works, it positioned the light too high for me. I much prefer the placement of the IWC/MOE setup.

+1 for IWC. Very solid mount for the MOE hand guard.

Bacon Six Actual
04-08-12, 12:14
The Danger Close offset mount is bomb proof. Gear Sector's are great, but have some flex, non-issue if you don't use your gear like it owes you money though. Vltor's mount is another awesome part. Just pick the one that gives you a funny feeling in your pants and go with it.

sammage
04-08-12, 12:20
Danger Close, Gear Sector, and VLTOR....VTAC is on a budget.

iCarbine
04-08-12, 21:18
+1 on VTAC.

hwaya
04-08-12, 22:25
VTAC, good price and bomber design.

FSTRN
04-08-12, 23:56
I run the my G2 Nitrolon on an IWC SMC mount attached to MOE carbine handguards. Very solid. So far, so good...

darr3239
04-09-12, 00:12
I recently obtained a Vltor offset mount, after it being one of the recommended mounts by MarkM. He saved my butt, since I was all set to buy a non-offset mount.

After mounting it, on the left hand side of the rail in order to be worked with my left thumb, it feels as if it was always made to be there. It can also be made to work with about any preferred mounting location.

deolexrex
04-09-12, 10:37
Whoa, thanks for all the replies! IT looks like I will need to go with the VTAC due to budget constraints.

deolexrex
04-09-12, 10:44
Oh and I should mention that I already have the Magpul MOE Scout Light Mount. I just need the rings to mount the flashlight.

deolexrex
04-09-12, 10:53
Whoa, thanks for all the replies! IT looks like I will need to go with the VTAC due to budget constraints.

Or is the GG&G Surefire G2 mounting ring the way to go?

http://www.gggaz.com/g2-flashlight-mounting-ring.html

Bacon Six Actual
04-09-12, 11:05
If you're budget limited, go with the VTAC mount. The GG&G part is unsat, no offset, definitely NOT bomb proof construction. Go with a proven performer.

deolexrex
04-09-12, 11:12
What is the advantage of the off-set. It seems with the mount I have the on/off button would be easily activated with my left thumb. If i use an off-set mount it will be in a less natural position. I'm not trying to be difficult, just wanting to learn.

hwaya
04-09-12, 11:14
What is the advantage of the off-set. It seems with the mount I have the on/off button would be easily activated with my left thumb. If i use an off-set mount it will be in a less natural position. I'm not trying to be difficult, just wanting to learn.

IMO, its all personal preference. See what works for you. I would suggest putting the light where it does not change your grip.

EzGoingKev
04-09-12, 20:43
I'm not trying to be difficult, just wanting to learn.

Sometimes you just have to buy stuff, try it, pick one, and then sell the rest. Consider whatever money you lose tuiton.

I started off using a VLTOR offset mount at 4:30 (with the rifle in your shoulder) slightly in front of the VFG so I could hit it with my thumb. This was with a 6920 upper w/ a LaRue 7" rail.

I got a Lasermax unit to try and mounted it at 9:00 and put the light at 10:30 to shield it. I liked it up there as it required a little more movement to activate it so you would not bump it accidentally.

I ended up trading of the Lasermax but left the light there as I was used to it. Life was good. So now I have another upper with a KAC URII. I put the light at 10:30 but it is in the way of the button for the front sight. So now it is at 1:30 and I like it there as I do not have to worry about accidentally bumping it. I reach over the rail and hit it.

Bacon Six Actual
04-09-12, 20:50
I use offset mounts because they don't interfere with my forward hand, regardless of shooting reaction side or support side, or strong/weak depending on what you want to call it. The 9/3 o'clock mounting systems interfere with my manipulations, so I don't use them. If you prefer to keep your support hand closer to the magwell, and you don't find that the lack of offset bothers you, then it's a non-issue. For me, it bothers me enough to actually make me remove the light altogether rather than deal with it that way.

Since training and weapons manipulation is a dynamic environment, and constantly changing as the years progress, the best thing you can do is just buy them both and see which one doesn't piss you off :neo: