PDA

View Full Version : Small baffle strike!

fastfive0
04-07-12, 21:01
Had a small baffle strike on the core of my yhm 9mm cobra m2 today. What are my options? Tube is fine and so are the end caps. Can I buy a new core from yhm or will a company like liberty just recore it for me?

MrM4
04-07-12, 22:11
You can send it out to be recored, how ever a small strike probelly does not justify a whole new core. Considering it is a YHM can, an upgraded core from someone else couldnt hurt. Unless you "need" a new core you probelly could continue to use the can. No one will give you a core, you will have to send it to a SOT and let them fix it.

fastfive0
04-07-12, 22:22
Any idea how much a recore costs and what a usual turnaround time is?

308sako
04-07-12, 22:31
Three very small strikes from the interior, core seems to be nicked, but the end cap is fine... Can only assume a bad bullet

RetreatHell
04-08-12, 01:12
Small baffle strikes will eventually happen if you shoot enough rounds through your can. All suppressor tolerances are different though, so some are likely more susceptible than others I can only assume.

I had some very small baffle strikes on 5 baffles and nicked the endcap as well not long ago, all from 1 round. But the damage is so negligible that it's practically cosmetic. My can looks like shit on the outside anyways, so I could care less as long as it doesn't affect performance. Here's a pic of mine:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv219/RetreatHell/9faaec2c.jpg

If its just a tiny little strike then I wouldn't even worry about it, UNLESS it happens again (or if you really think you can tell a difference in performance now). If it happens again, then obviously something with the can or your mount is ****ed up and needs to be fixed or resolved before using it more. I'd double check everything is in alignment and properly installed first before shooting again though regardless.

99HMC4
04-08-12, 11:31
I would be more concerned with why you got a strike....

RetreatHell
04-08-12, 19:44
I would be more concerned with why you got a strike....

It's resolved. Don't wanna go into it here though;)

99HMC4
04-08-12, 20:24
If you got it resolved and the strikes don't protrude into the bore line, just leave it....

RetreatHell
04-08-12, 20:37
If you got it resolved and the strikes don't protrude into the bore line, just leave it....

Wait, were you referring to me with your first post? Or the OP? I may have screwed that up assuming you were asking me.

fastfive0
04-08-12, 20:47
Mine isn't resolved lol I sent an email to yhm and liberty about a recore. Will update when I hear back from either one. I checked gun and barrel and both seem fine. Only thing I can think of was maybe a damaged/bad bullet?

99HMC4
04-08-12, 22:48
I was referring to the OP. if you haven't figured out the why part don't bother with the fix yet.

JasonM
04-09-12, 18:00
Three very small strikes from the interior, core seems to be nicked, but the end cap is fine... Can only assume a bad bullet

Just an aside- the core baffles are asymmetric, so if you've not noticed them before, they look like they have strikes. If there is no strike on the endcap, most likely you've not had any issues.

308sako
04-09-12, 23:58
Just an aside- the core baffles are asymmetric, so if you've not noticed them before, they look like they have strikes. If there is no strike on the endcap, most likely you've not had any issues.

I will have to try and take a good picture of this, and agree that whatever I'm seeing is minor at most. Accuracy has not suffered nor has sound suppression.

Quiet Riot
04-10-12, 07:06

That's what I was wondering reading the OP. I couldn't figure out how a bullet could bounce off the baffles and then exit concentrically.

Turnkey11
04-10-12, 08:31
On the bright side, youve got the baffle strike out of the way, as long as your can mounts up the same everytime you shouldnt have much else to worry about.:D