PDA

View Full Version : A2X Effectiveness

Canonshooter
04-08-12, 11:50
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any tests, reports/feedback or have first-hand experience on the flash hiding ability of the BCM A2X (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A2X-Extended-A2-Flash-Hider-Suppressor-p/bcm%20a2x.htm)? I searched "A2X" in this forum and did not find any info.

Since it's slightly longer than the standard A2, my guess is that it could be somewhat better at disrupting the flash signature. From my limited low-light shooting with it so far - with a variety of loads - it seems to be quite effective, but these are just casual observations from behind the rifle.

TIA for any insight.

G-lock
04-08-12, 17:28
It's merely a longer A2, why would one expect it to perform any differently than an A2? Jeff

BufordTJustice
04-08-12, 20:39
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any tests, reports/feedback or have first-hand experience on the flash hiding ability of the BCM A2X (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-A2X-Extended-A2-Flash-Hider-Suppressor-p/bcm%20a2x.htm)? I searched "A2X" in this forum and did not find any info.

Since it's slightly longer than the standard A2, my guess is that it could be somewhat better at disrupting the flash signature. From my limited low-light shooting with it so far - with a variety of loads - it seems to be quite effective, but these are just casual observations from behind the rifle.

TIA for any insight.

I have a good friend who owns a BCM 14.5" carbine upper w/ a perm'd A2X and also a PSA 14.7" middy upper w/ perm'd A2. I've shot them side by side indoors using Federal XM193 and the flash hiding ability appeared to be so similar that I hadn't thought of comparing the two.

If you REALLY need a true FH, get an AAC blackout or a Vortex...even a Smith Enterprises FH would work better than an A2/X, IMHO.

Canonshooter
04-09-12, 07:15
I have a good friend who owns a BCM 14.5" carbine upper w/ a perm'd A2X and also a PSA 14.7" middy upper w/ perm'd A2. I've shot them side by side indoors using Federal XM193 and the flash hiding ability appeared to be so similar that I hadn't thought of comparing the two.

The reason I thought there might be a difference was based on this informative thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95429&highlight=flash+hider) (see post #21) describing the mechanics of how a FH works. Based on that description, I still believe the A2X could be slightly better due to intercepting/disrupting more of the mach disc to its longer length - thus my inquiry if anyone had actually compared it to the standard A2.

I've used the AAC Blackout before and know how effective it is, but I'm still curious if there is any practical difference between the A2/A2X in FH ability.

Eurodriver
04-09-12, 07:41
I have shot the A2X side by side with an A2 at night using XM193 with absolutely zero difference noticed between the two.

Canonshooter
04-09-12, 08:50
I have shot the A2X side by side with an A2 at night using XM193 with absolutely zero difference noticed between the two.

Thanks for sharing.

In your comparison, were the barrel lengths the same? I'm thinking that if there's any difference at all, it would be evident on a shorter barrel.

Question - wasn't the A2 originally developed for 20 inch barrels?

chamber143
04-12-12, 20:10
I think there probably is some improvement but to the naked eye it doesn't appear to. Some super slow mo video work should show. Any takers, all my money goes to guns. I wish I had those fancy photography things