PDA

View Full Version : New or used HK?

Battle*Hound
04-08-12, 17:20
I am going to purchase a pistol next wknd. I will most likely be buying another HK. I haven't decided yet though on the model. I was going to get the HK45 but I am starting to lean to the HK45c because I do not currently have a concealable pistol. I also already own a 9 year old and pefectly good Full size 45 USP. I have not yet held or shot either gun FWIW.

Curious what your thoughts are as far as the HK45 vs the HK45c. Also, I am not a person who usually buys anything used but if the right deal was presented would you hesitate for any reason on buying used? Thanks

E-man930
04-08-12, 17:38
I wouldn't worry about buying a used H&K... do look for signs of abuse, neglect, or owner dumbassery. I remember seeing a chrome plated H&K USP 9mm compact compete with a chrome plated barrel and controls at a local gun show. After asking why someone chromed it I was informed it came that way from H&K. :laugh: Needless to say that was one molested USP that will never see an honest day of use outside of pimpdom.

With regards to the HK45 and HK45C - I carry my C daily and use my fullsize for HD / steel shooting events. it's received a few mods to make it work a little better for me.

munch520
04-08-12, 17:43
I wouldn't worry. My P30 was bought lightly used and hasn't had an issue. Just made sure the seller has a good rep

Battle*Hound
04-08-12, 17:53
I wouldn't worry about buying a used H&K... do look for signs of abuse, neglect, or owner dumbassery.

FWIW...if we had a national leader who used simple talk like 'dumbassery'...I would be real comfortable with that.:)

Battle*Hound
04-08-12, 18:01
The deal is there are 0 good dealers around here. So, I will have to make a three hour trip to pick one up. It's a great store with huge selection. Just need to put $50 down over the phone to get the 3 day wait started and make my selection when I arrive. I'd sure like to shoot either first but it's an HK...I know if I like holding it, I'll like shooting it.

I have some buddies that are high on glocks and XDs but the HK just seams superior...period.

JRas
04-08-12, 18:36
if you already have a USP 45, I don't see a point of getting the HK45. It's basically a USP 45 with better ergonomics, and two less rounds. It's a full size gun for a duty use not really aimed at concealed carry.

Read this interview:
http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-interview-with-ken-hackathorn-and-larry-vickers

"The Compact is closer to the true form of what we envisioned than the full size gun"

I think the HK45C is a better choice and a great carry gun, especially when combined with the flat magazine floorplates.

edit:
Another good read:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/range-report/79223-review-hk45-hk45c-p30.html

Battle*Hound
04-08-12, 21:10
I can't wait to get a feel for these two guns.:D

Hogsgunwild
04-08-12, 23:32
Three of my four H&Ks were used and they still have not needed even as much as a spring change after way too many rounds when compared to my 1911s, Glock (past Glocks-plural) or M&Ps.

Go for a used one and save your money for more ammo...

ALCOAR
04-08-12, 23:55
Used if I can help it most of the time considering how much the NIB cost of HK handguns are now. If I buy slightly used, I can shoot nothing but HKs for the rest of my lifetime.

The NIB price is honestly worth it, and imho you can actually see where the extra $400-500 comes into play.

I've owned 3 used HKs now......0 failures of any sort.

davebee456
04-09-12, 00:23
Slightly Used Hk's with a few hundred rounds might as well be new if you ask me, I bought a new Hk45C and a Used P30 and they are great no failures as of yet..

Go to see Todd Green's Pistol-Training.com website and see how he put 90,000 rounds through a P30 and 75,000 Rounds through a Hk45 and had maybe 3 failures.

These guns are made very tough a person usually shoots 400 rounds maximum through their guns so most likely a "used" hk really is not even broke in yet.

Just check the barrel out and see if an asshole scratched the inside

Maverick07
04-09-12, 01:02
I prefer to buy used LNIB over new every time. If you are patient eventually you will find a LNIB example you want and save yourself a chunk of change. For example on Gunbroker (I have no affiliation whatsoever... just an example) there are at least two HK45c's in like new condition for about $250 less than new. Buying a new gun is just like a car... once you take possession it is used and therefore the value declines some, especially if you resell it a dealer. So why not let the other guy take the hit and you save some resources?

gunnut284
04-09-12, 02:43
As mentioned by others, I would have no problem buying a used HK as long as it didn't appear to have been "dumbassed" with. Same goes for most quality firearms.

Arik
04-09-12, 07:17
99% of my guns are bought used and about 50% of those are used police guns. Nothing wrong with buying used as long as you dont care if the gun has finish wear or scratches. Most of the time its because the previous owner.....
A) For whatever reason didnt like it after taking it to the range
B) Buyers remorse
C) traded for something they liked more/needed funds fast.

Its a good way to save some money and still get what you want.

As for the HK45/c, I own only one HK and its a USP9. Generally I dont like HK triggers, they feel a bit heavy for me but this one has a very nice light SA pull. Its the LEO trigger version. Have only put a few mags through it so far but I like the gun a lot. Oh and it came with a bunch of extras like HK light and night sights + a few other things.....USED $475.

Battle*Hound
04-09-12, 18:01
Great feedback!! If they have a used compact....I will strip it and if all is good, I will buy it.

Battle*Hound
04-09-12, 19:37
Well after research I've come to realize the 45c is an 8 rounder. That sucks. I really want the capability of concealed but without the extended mag.

So...what about the P30? I have not owned a 9mm for a few years now. I think at some point I had convinced myself that 45 was a better performer but I now know neither is 'better' than the other. And the P30 with 15 rounds...sounds like a good fit for ccw. Maybe even 40 cal?? Called the shop and they have one version 3 in stock. Thoughts?

munch520
04-09-12, 20:32
I have a v3 and really like it. A light firing pin block spring will greatly enhance the trigger pull for $7. I do not feel under gunned with 15+1 of 147gr Federal HST (+15 in the spare magazine). Modern advancements have narrowed the gap between the 9mm and 45. Cheap to practice with, lightweight, and high capacity. What's not to like :D

Ed L.
04-09-12, 21:56
I've bought used HKs including a used HK45, a used HK45C, used HK416 upper, and never had any problems. I got a sweet deal on a used HK45C that came with night sights and an ambi safety for around $950. To add the ambi safety and the Night sights would have cost about $100 each, but they came on the gun that I bought.

I've bought a crapload of used guns from ex-police Glocks to AKs, to pre-ban FALs without issues. Sometimes I bought them because it was a good deal, other times I bought them because there were not any new ones available.

E-man930
04-10-12, 18:09
Nothing wrong with carrying an HK45C and throwing another mag in your pocket, you know they make these things reloadable... (8+1 in the gun and 8 in the mag = 17 rounds)

Battle*Hound
04-10-12, 18:34
Nothing wrong with carrying an HK45C and throwing another mag in your pocket, you know they make these things reloadable... (8+1 in the gun and 8 in the mag = 17 rounds)

I guess...But why stop there? 2, 3, 5 mags...**** it

E-man930
04-10-12, 18:36
I guess...But why stop there? 2, 3, 5 mags...**** it

Now you are getting it! ;)

shua713
04-10-12, 20:27
subscibing to this thread, I have been thinking about a walther PPQ, but am now starting to think about the P30

jstyer
04-10-12, 20:32
subscibing to this thread, I have been thinking about a walther PPQ, but am now starting to think about the P30

PPQ is a nice pistol no doubt and it has a fantastic trigger... However if you're on the fence about a striker fired gun (e.g. for CCW) you absolutely can't go wrong with the P30. It is quite a bit more coin though...

munch520
04-10-12, 21:00

Open invitation to come up and try mine if you're ever in the area!

E-man930
04-10-12, 21:34
You could always buy both.
I would advocate running a few hundred rounds through a LEM version before buying the DA/SA. If someone would have told me this years ago I would have saved a good bit of money.

brickboy240
04-11-12, 10:13
I have been thinking about this too.

I have found a few really lightly used HKs in my area. Most are USPs or P2000s and in the 600-650 range. I am betting that lightly used HKs are like the lightly used Glock I have bought in the past - a good deal for the money.

That said...yes...a brand new PPQ in my area is about 515 bucks. Almost a hundred less than the used USP or P2000.

The 950 dollar P-30 is totally out of the question...I have kids to feed and bills and any 950 dollar handgun is just not in my picture. I am sure its wonderful...but not in my budget, sorry.

I have borrowed a USP 9mm Compact a few times and liked how it shot. I don't think the HK trigger is all as terrible as some make it out to be and the USP is a very soft shooter. I have always wanted an HK pistol but their 800 plus dollar price tag has always kept me away.

The USP and P2000 have been around longer and the holster choices are better than the PPQ. Mags are probably easier to get and a little less than the 50 dollar Walther mags.

Hard decision...especially after handling the PPQ a few times and noticing the excellent trigger and ergonomics.

My decision to just blindly race out and get another Glock is still waiting - there ARE other choices and some really good ones if you ask me.

- brickboy240

Battle*Hound
04-11-12, 17:46
After starting this thread, I'd hate to say this but...I am going to hold off on this purchase. Bottom line is I can't make up my mind and this is a sure sign that I am not ready to drop a grand just to drop it.

I have a big trip coming up in Sept. and still need some things for that so I've decided to hit REI this wknd instead. Still have to travel to same town but...

Also...through this talk about getting something new I've come to realize just how much I like my full size 45 USP. It's got low miles and that needs to change.

feedramp
04-11-12, 18:29
Nothing wrong with that choice :)