PDA

View Full Version : Savage Arms: 300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled

TangoSauce
04-08-12, 21:21
300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.

It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.

Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

http://www.savagearms.com/

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-09-12, 09:11
I am frankly supprised they ever intended to build rifles in 300BLK

TangoSauce
04-09-12, 23:51
I am surprised myself as the compatibility with the AR-15 is big draw to the round.

I give props to Savage for maintaining the integrity of their product though, even though it was a bit 'me too' imo.

Vash1023
04-10-12, 12:18
I am surprised myself as the compatibility with the AR-15 is big draw to the round.

I give props to Savage for maintaining the integrity of their product though, even though it was a bit 'me too' imo.

at this point you really have to wonder if "integrity" actually means "incompetence".

because if so many other companies can make a 300blk barrel or upper properely, what cant savage do that they can????

TAZ
04-10-12, 12:47
They didn't say they couldn't make a 300Blk barrel, but that their test results yielded sub standard accuracy with subsonic ammo. I wish they would have defined substandard though. I have no Experience with 300BLK, but have owned a few Savage model 10's and all have bee superbly accurate out of the box. Even with the crappy triggers and crappy stocks, when fed quality ammo there were sub moa capable. They can obviously make an accurate barrel and assemble an accurate gun. Maybe they tried to apply the precision carbine standard to the 300BLK unit and couldn't make it work and chose to not lower their standard just to offer one caliber, which IMO was not targeted at the precision world to begin with. I do know that there are a few people trying to work up subsonic loads and having issues with hit or miss accuracy. Again, with no personal experience I'm willing to admit these few are the squeaky wheels who get the most attention and the other 90% are happy as pigs in shit.

The good news here is that if anyone has a 223 Savage Precision Carbine they can more then likely have a 300BLK barrel made. Swapping barrels on a Savage is as simple as doing so on a AR, sonic he demand is there I'm sure someone will fit the need.

MarkG
04-10-12, 13:08
at this point you really have to wonder if "integrity" actually means "incompetence".

because if so many other companies can make a 300blk barrel or upper properely, what cant savage do that they can????

Seriously? They are just publicly acknowledging that the cartridge isn't the holy grail of ammunition that AAC would have you believe that it is.

Vash1023
04-10-12, 13:25
Seriously? They are just publicly acknowledging that the cartridge isn't the holy grail of ammunition that AAC would have you believe that it is.

so what? wilson combat produces sub standard crap then?
becuase they stand by there decision to chamber many of there rifles in 300blk. and doubt they would produce something that has substandard accuracy.

nanners83
04-10-12, 23:54
so what? wilson combat produces sub standard crap then?
becuase they stand by there decision to chamber many of there rifles in 300blk. and doubt they would produce something that has substandard accuracy.

300BLK is not know for it's pinpoint accuracy. Here's a link to some tests on vuurwapen blog.
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/01/20/300-blackout-accuracy-velocity-data/

I'm sure that most companies who produce barrels or complete uppers for it just believe that the velocity and energy statistics outweigh the accuracy concerns considering that it's not meant to be a long range cartridge.

However, I can respect Savage for choosing not to produce a rifle chambered for it given their current product goals. They have been known for a while for making extremely accurate rifles. They are one of the few companies I have heard of canceling a 300BLK production.

rsilvers
04-11-12, 12:44
While subsonic ammo is hard to make varmint-rifle accurate, I did not expect the Savage to be as accurate as possible because they went with a 1:10 twist and a 20 inch barrel.

1:10 twist will not stabilize 220 subsonic ammo.

A 20 inch barrel will sometimes make the subsonic ammo transonic, and that is not great for accuracy.

They had a few ways to make the rifle better, from doing more R&D to asking AAC for assistance as so many other rifle companies have. Given that they were not on the right path, canceling it was the best call for them to make.

TangoSauce
04-11-12, 13:51
Thanks for posting rsilvers, I was interested in getting your perspective on it.